Zero degree teeth..

Hayden40

Hayden40

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I hope you are doing great.

I have a question concerning setup zero degree teeth.
I've learned at school when I use 0 degree teeth I have make flat plan set up ( don't follow curve of spee or Wilson) other teeth we can follow them.
But someone told me at work I have to follow those curves always!
What do you think guys?

Thank you and have a nice weekend

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
I'd avoid flat plane setups, zero degree teeth on a flat plane would let the bite slide all over. It must be set up to those curves (to at least 8 degree IIRC) to stabilize the bite, give a rest position and avoid TMJ issues...

heathergrey

heathergrey

Reaction score
I've been taught to set zero degree teeth on a flat plane specifically so the posteriors can move freely in excursion, particularly for people with severe ridge resorption, arch discrepancies (Class III, crossbite),bruxers, etc. Seems like giving them a Curve of Spee would contradict all that. It's not the most aesthetically pleasing set up but it's more about function. Is this person your boss? If not, tell them to pound sand. :cool:

Last edited:
heathergrey

heathergrey

Reaction score
I'd avoid flat plane setups, zero degree teeth on a flat plane would let the bite slide all over. It must be set up to those curves (to at least 8 degree IIRC) to stabilize the bite, give a rest position and avoid TMJ issues...
Isn't that the point though, for the bite to easily slide into lateral and protrusive excursion? Any sources? (Not trying to be an ass, I just want to know.) ;)

Hayden40

Hayden40

Reaction score
I've been taught to set zero degree teeth on a flat plane specifically so the posteriors can move freely in excursion, particularly for people with severe ridge resorption, arch discrepancies (Class III, crossbite),bruxers, etc. Seems like giving them a Curve of Spee would contradict all that. It's not the most aesthetically pleasing set up but it's more about function. Is this person your boss? If not, tell them to pound sand. :cool:

Yes, this person is my supervisor, unfortunately even he was wrong I have to follow what he says! To avoid any conflict

heathergrey

heathergrey

Reaction score
Yes, this person is my supervisor, unfortunately even he was wrong I have to follow what he says! To avoid any conflict
Now that I think of it, in a dental guide I have by Ivoclar Vivadent / Dr. Frank Lauciello there's a little part about setting zero degree teeth on a curve of spee. When I get to my lab on Tuesday I'll find it and post a pic if I remember.

And good idea avoiding conflict in the workplace. Silently brood instead, that's what I do. :p

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I hope you are doing great.

I have a question concerning setup zero degree teeth.
I've learned at school when I use 0 degree teeth I have make flat plan set up ( don't follow curve of spee or Wilson) other teeth we can follow them.
But someone told me at work I have to follow those curves always!
What do you think guys?

Thank you and have a nice weekend
It is possible to set 0 degree on a curve, but why would you want to?
If you want a shallow balanced occlusion, go with a 10 degree. Or better yet, a balanced lingualized with anatomic over 10degree on a curve ~20 degree.

For that matter, why do 0 against zero at all? That occlusion always fails in QOL assessments.
If you have to employ 0degree, confine them to the mandible and set the opposing in an anatomic posterior as linear lingualized.
Better chewing efficiency and esthetics.

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
Now that I think of it, in a dental guide I have by Ivoclar Vivadent / Dr. Frank Lauciello there's a little part about setting zero degree teeth on a curve of spee. When I get to my lab on Tuesday I'll find it and post a pic if I remember.

And good idea avoiding conflict in the workplace. Silently brood instead, that's what I do. :p
You are correct, that's in the Ivoclar booklet.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Edit : nevermind

Last edited:
denturist-student

denturist-student

Reaction score
Setting them up is actually quite simple...Yes there is a need for a compansating curve...set them up on a 20 degree dentsply plane...set the uppers first....then set the lowers using the incisal guide pin....finish minor sdjustments by taking the incisal pin off the table.....much easier to set up....Why use zero degree teeth? when there is no ridge left then lateral forces need to be minimized....the only way to do that is using zero degree teeth.....I also use them for patients who cannot replicate any centric bite such as facial paralysis and eldely patients with muscular problems....lately I have used cutter bars on the lower inplace of the normal flat plane teeth but you need the porcelain uppers along with them....Patients love them...I do set up cutter bars on the lower as well and while tricky you can get a compensating curve...As well with any porcelain teeth I use a molloplast soft lining on the lower made using a functional impression...very comfortable and less damaging to the remaining bone....I think the cutter bars I am using are the ones by Myerson with the wavy vitalium ribbon in them....dont use the linear bladed teeth...very hard to cew food in centric exclusivley...I have replaced about 50 sets of linearized occlusion bars with the wavy criss cross cutter bars by Meyerson....

denturist-student

denturist-student

Reaction score
NOt really..a flat plane will make the dentures unstable and actually rock...I set them up on a denstply 20 degree curve. That is the theoretical curve of wilson and spee that is formed from a 4 inch radius above the arch.

G

grantoz

Reaction score
If you have 0 degree teeth but condylar guidance of 15% you need to increase you curve more than if you use 10 degree teeth.Check out a book on full over full by Watt and Mcgregor University of Edinburgh It was our bible when i was doing my denturist training.You can set up flat teeth in full balance with a curve of spee or wilson but it is harder you just need to tilt your teeth more because you dont have any cusp angle to help you.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
zero degree teeth are for people who know nothing about occlusion
we acquired about 300 cards of 0 degree teeth when we took over a lab that closed. first thing i did was send every last card back for credit toward future purchases (thank you Nowak!). in the nearly 8 months since then we have not had a use for a single 0 degree tooth even for a repair.

heathergrey

heathergrey

Reaction score
I'm learning new things! What a smart, helpful community of dental technicians we have here. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

denturist-student

denturist-student

Reaction score
If you have 0 degree teeth but condylar guidance of 15% you need to increase you curve more than if you use 10 degree teeth.Check out a book on full over full by Watt and Mcgregor University of Edinburgh It was our bible when i was doing my denturist training.You can set up flat teeth in full balance with a curve of spee or wilson but it is harder you just need to tilt your teeth more because you dont have any cusp angle to help you.
.....Exactly..... from Hanaus Quint...
not to argue but why would you set the condylar guidance up to anything other than 30 degrees? If you are taking protrusive records then that is another thing...but those need to be done very cautiously...Can measure them with an electronic facebow but the time and chanse for error surpasses the good that is accomplished...JUst use a facebow and pin tracer and set the condylar guidance to 30 degrees.

G

grantoz

Reaction score
Denturist student you can take protrusive records to set the condyles very simply without a pin tracer of course use a facebow.As for setting condyles at less than 30 degrees, most patients are of decent age most of their condyles were around 10 degrees or less because of ware of the TMJ.With your protrusive records take 3 of them you will get a good average .I dont find it that hard to do and the final result was and is always better it just takes practice.I hope this helps, also read that book I mentioned as it was written before digital facebows so it is easy to do without outlaying big cash. They also talk about getting mandibular relationship in to a relaxed muscular position and that the mandible was suspended in a muscular sling they were doing this years and years before LVI , Machorris and others turned it into a business.