* Working out Costings *

J

Judecraw80

Reaction score
Well, @Judecraw80 , after six years you finally got a full initiation. Total and complete derailment of your thread.

Congratulations on achieving this distinction. Wear it with pride.
[emoji16]

Sent from my CUBOT MAX using Tapatalk

M

mikebuff

Reaction score
It started quite general and than all of a sudden... what a twist!

S

slotboom.f

Reaction score
Just spend less than you earn, know where you want to go use your marketing wisely and constant add value to your customers and as a business you will rock!

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

rc75

rc75

Sponsors
Reaction score
It started quite general and than all of a sudden... what a twist!

That's how all threads end up here on DLN. Topic might be about porcelain than....BOOM! 2 posts later
there's a post of a fat guy in a speedo Laugh Welcome to DLN!

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
That's how all threads end up here on DLN. Topic might be about porcelain than....BOOM! 2 posts later
there's a post of a fat guy in a speedo Laugh Welcome to DLN!
Yeah, since you brought it up, please quit showing us your vacation pics.

Mike2

Mike2

Reaction score
I wish I would have had the ambition to do this when I had my first child 22 years ago. Instead I waited until the lab I was at started to be purchased and I was let go with 30 others. I sat on the sidelines as I planned everything you have started to do. I had someone help with a business plan etc. foound someone with wrking capital and then it all fell in my lap. I had a friend who needed dentures, so I approached a former co-worker, for a favor, and he said I should buy the lab he was renting space at. The rest is history, that was 2009 and things are going well. I lost a few accts. from the old owner leaving, but they were worth losing. I also gained him 100k in business before I pushed him out.
As stated, there are many threads on this forum that have a lot better info., but I basically went off the area labs fee schedules and placed mine in that ballpark. I am raising prices this year as my competition has lowered theirs, why, because our lab is worth it. We cater to the Dr's that want adjustment free crowns that match along with tech. support of a 30 year tech. who reads and keeps up on the trends....along with the studies,techniques buzzwords and products. I say if you are good at what you do and also fair, you'll have no problems. Remember, you're not selling crowns, you're selling YOU! Everyone makes crowns, but there is only ONE YOU. Be a good listener and a better story teller, it's not the steak that sells it's the SIZZZZZLE on the plate that draws attention.
Start with a well written letter introducing yourself to the Dr office and mail or hand deliver with some Hershey's kisses...tell them you have a sweet deal for them. Then mail 10 letters a week forever and you'll get business...Don't forget to mention that consistency will be paramount as you do all the work yourself, there are a lot of Dr's that will pay just for that so don't forget to adjust prices after you get them. I charge 129$ USD for a FCZ and I know labs in my state that get 189$USD
GOOD LUCK!
P.M me if you'd like any private correspondence

J

Judecraw80

Reaction score
I wish I would have had the ambition to do this when I had my first child 22 years ago. Instead I waited until the lab I was at started to be purchased and I was let go with 30 others. I sat on the sidelines as I planned everything you have started to do. I had someone help with a business plan etc. foound someone with wrking capital and then it all fell in my lap. I had a friend who needed dentures, so I approached a former co-worker, for a favor, and he said I should buy the lab he was renting space at. The rest is history, that was 2009 and things are going well. I lost a few accts. from the old owner leaving, but they were worth losing. I also gained him 100k in business before I pushed him out.
As stated, there are many threads on this forum that have a lot better info., but I basically went off the area labs fee schedules and placed mine in that ballpark. I am raising prices this year as my competition has lowered theirs, why, because our lab is worth it. We cater to the Dr's that want adjustment free crowns that match along with tech. support of a 30 year tech. who reads and keeps up on the trends....along with the studies,techniques buzzwords and products. I say if you are good at what you do and also fair, you'll have no problems. Remember, you're not selling crowns, you're selling YOU! Everyone makes crowns, but there is only ONE YOU. Be a good listener and a better story teller, it's not the steak that sells it's the SIZZZZZLE on the plate that draws attention.
Start with a well written letter introducing yourself to the Dr office and mail or hand deliver with some Hershey's kisses...tell them you have a sweet deal for them. Then mail 10 letters a week forever and you'll get business...Don't forget to mention that consistency will be paramount as you do all the work yourself, there are a lot of Dr's that will pay just for that so don't forget to adjust prices after you get them. I charge 129$ USD for a FCZ and I know labs in my state that get 189$USD
GOOD LUCK!
P.M me if you'd like any private correspondence
What a lovely heartening reply!!! Yes I am going great at the moment things are looking good. I have a wonderful advisor who has helped me with my business plan and a dentist welcoming me to his study evenings to introduce myself to the local area!!! I am still looking at all the equipment I need to buy [emoji85] dollar, dollar, dollar!!! But I will be in Ireland on my own and yes doing everything from beginning to end!! Thank you so very much for that xxx xxx

Mike2

Mike2

Reaction score
What a lovely heartening reply!!! Yes I am going great at the moment things are looking good. I have a wonderful advisor who has helped me with my business plan and a dentist welcoming me to his study evenings to introduce myself to the local area!!! I am still looking at all the equipment I need to buy [emoji85] dollar, dollar, dollar!!! But I will be in Ireland on my own and yes doing everything from beginning to end!! Thank you so very much for that xxx xxx

Glad to hear, so for crown and bridge you'll need to get handpeices, ovens and materials. There is financing at some of the suppliers here, I bet the same where u are at. Get your own digitial stuff ASAP as that is the only way to control the final product. As far as what stuff costs, it really isn't rocket science as it all seems like a lot when you purchase to set-up a lab, but in reality, your materials are the least of your costs(except precious metals). For those you can use Argen or Bego, if you have a scanner and software for designs and outsource the coping FCC's etc. At the end of the day u upcharge your cost for metal by30% for the losses in grindings and the same for PFM metal. I would say a rough est. is about 50k USD will get evrything you should need to make crowns. If it's dentures, it's way lower.

Mike2

Mike2

Reaction score
If all that doesn't work, show them a pic of your family and tell the other big labs around use spend all there profits on MOLLIES and cheap german beers and whores. If I was better at the computer stuff I would post HOMER Simpson backing into the bushes...but I am not so ___^^^0))#!*+***

J

Judecraw80

Reaction score
Glad to hear, so for crown and bridge you'll need to get handpeices, ovens and materials. There is financing at some of the suppliers here, I bet the same where u are at. Get your own digitial stuff ASAP as that is the only way to control the final product. As far as what stuff costs, it really isn't rocket science as it all seems like a lot when you purchase to set-up a lab, but in reality, your materials are the least of your costs(except precious metals). For those you can use Argen or Bego, if you have a scanner and software for designs and outsource the coping FCC's etc. At the end of the day u upcharge your cost for metal by30% for the losses in grindings and the same for PFM metal. I would say a rough est. is about 50k USD will get evrything you should need to make crowns. If it's dentures, it's way lower.
I am going the digital route and just go on a few courses and go for it. I work part time in the NHS so I keep that going until I think I can step out myself. I got the costings sorted and now I know how to do that I think I be ok.... Just a bit of a jump but I just cross each hurdle as and when. I am charging "I hope I am right" about three times what it costs me to make to start and hope that I can manage with that. Just finding some dentists now!! And hope that it works!!! Lol

Jason D

Jason D

Reaction score
this will probably sound harsh....
If you just want a hobby lab then you will probably be fine just on gumption and effort.

if you want this to be a 'real business' then you are totally unprepared.

You need to KNOW your costs, not guess.
You need a business plan, including: market analysis, financing, growth plan, where your recruits will come from, what the other labs are doing in your area, what your competitive advantage is, and how you will capitalize on it. How you will deal with regulation and what your product mix will be.

Will you offer discounts? if so how much?
How will you define your fees and defend them in a comparison?
A couple courses does nothing to prepare you for the complexity of digital manufacturing, you need to partner with a vendor who can support you and educate you and then you need to decide when you will go from outsourcing the digital work to bringing it in house.
If you want in house digital production for the half dozen or so most common products you are looking at 200,000 in equipment, supplies and buildout. If you just want to scan and have someone else do manufacturing you are looking at more like 60,000. who will do your financial work...accounting and tax prep? You need to have a lawyer, and accountant, and insurance agent all lined up as allies who can guide you on each discipline.

This nonsense of buying a handpiece and a porcelain oven and giving it a shot is a hobby not a business.

treat it as a business if you expect to support yourself and your family and have things like a retirement and vacations.

J

Judecraw80

Reaction score
this will probably sound harsh....
If you just want a hobby lab then you will probably be fine just on gumption and effort.

if you want this to be a 'real business' then you are totally unprepared.

Thank you Jason, I have all that worked out since the original post. Even three year projections. I have a really good business advisor, accountant, solicitor etc. I have done all the homework, who to outsource to and the costings and I worked out everything in the end......and there is plenty more to do I just take each step at a time. I am not taking it lightly. It's a big investment and a lot to lose if not done right. Hence keeping my job p/t until I know I can take it on fully, something to fall back on but I am hoping not.
KR, Judith [emoji111]

Top Bottom