Will or what kind of Acrylic will bond (stick too) zirconia?

BB77SCDL

BB77SCDL

SuperMember
Reaction score
I have a 13 unit/5 implant site lower case that is All Zirconia (originally had porcelain tissue) and I need a tissue acrylic that will stick to zirconia without coming off!

I had the restoration pre-aproved, but then the DOCTOR convinced the patient to alter the tissue thickness. This was after I cemented titanium abutment for the screw-retained part!

So, I have to have a highly esthetic acrylic that will stick to Zirconia! Please help!

PS: Don't worry about cost this one is on the Doctor. He just doesn't know it yet.

Thanks, BB77SCDL

M

MasterCeramist

Reaction score
May want to look into the Gradia Gum shades by GC.

BB77SCDL

BB77SCDL

SuperMember
Reaction score
I have tried it, but I have no porcelain to bond to. All I have is Zirconia! How do you bond Gradia Gum or something like it to Zirconia?

Hary

Hary

Reaction score
Hi can't you ask the doctor to take some kind of impression, and then make a surplus acrylic on the existing case, give it back to the dr. to try the acrylic in the mouth if every thing ok, duplicate in zirconia pink then let the dr. cement or bond 2 zirconia's.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Press pink emax and cement to the zir.

R

Rick Sonntag

Reaction score
Gradia Gum is probably your best choice in terms of gingival esthetics but you may want to try the Alloy Primer from Kuraray to get an acceptable bond to the zirconia substrate. There's some excellent information to guide you in this study: Effect of Primers and Resins on the Shear Bond Strength of Resin Composite to Zirconia

Disclaimer: I haven't had to do this yet myself but if and when I have to, I would try the Kuraray Primer with the Gradia Gum based on the shear-bond strengths found in the study. I'm not sure what else would work without having to go back into the furnace.

BB77SCDL

BB77SCDL

SuperMember
Reaction score
I have the Zirconia infiltrated at the ging with the Zirkonzahn tissue 1 color. What I coated the tissue with Cement then etched the cement and applied the Gradia?

R

Rick Sonntag

Reaction score
Group A
The surfaces were first conditioned with mixture of a silane coupling agent (Clearfil Porcelain Bond Activator, Kuraray, Osaka, Japan, Figure 1(a)) and a primer resin (SE Bond Primer, Kuraray, Osaka, Japan, Figure 1(b)) as the manufacturer recommends. The mixture was applied on the surfaces for 10 s and air-dried for 5 s. Next, a resin (SE Bond Bond, Kuraray, Osaka, Japan) was applied on the surfaces for 10 s, air-dried for 5 s and photo-polymerized for 10 s (Optilux-501, Kerr, Orange CA, USA). Wavelength maximum of the light was 495 nm and the light intensity was 550 mW/cm².
Group B
The surfaces were first conditioned with an alloy primer (Alloy Primer, Kuraray, Osaka, Japan, Figures 1(b) and 1(c)) for 60 s and air-dried. Next, the surfaces were treated in the same way as in Group A.

Sandblast Zr, apply Alloy Primer, then silane, then resin primer, then your Gradia.

BB77SCDL

BB77SCDL

SuperMember
Reaction score
Thanks Rick! Now I can get this out of my hair!

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Glazed porcelain is far more hygenic than composite.

P

paulg100

Reaction score
"Gradia Gum is probably your best choice in terms of gingival esthetics but you may want to try the Alloy Primer from Kuraray"

same as the Monobond S from Ivoclar. Theres quite a few of em around, the question is, how effective are they really?

(havnt had a chance to read that study yet but i will thanks)

BB77SCDL

BB77SCDL

SuperMember
Reaction score
Monobond S from Ivoclar and Gradia Gum is the route I will take and I will let you know the out come.

Top Bottom