Who can design a cage for me?

• Thread starter Marcusthegladiator CDT
  • Start date
Marcusthegladiator CDT

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Reaction score
So I am wondering who I may contact to design and output an STL for me.
It would be a cage that mounts to my bicycles water bottle cage screws.
But it wouldn't hold a water bottle. It would hold my Big Jambox.
http://jawbone.com/store/buy/bigjambox#tech-specs
I know there are plenty of services online to print for me out of whatever I would like.
But where do I find these services for design and getting an STL in return?
It wouldn't work in any dental cam.
But maybe someone out there is heavy duty into their software and has the capability.
Of course I am willing to compensate.
I could provide a written draft that would be closer to a doodle with dimensions. :)
Again my question is, But where do I find these services for design and getting an STL in return?
Thanks.

Gru

Gru

Reaction score
Maybe TruCrown? They used to do specialized parts in other industries, if I recall.

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Reaction score
Someone on reddit is telling me to get a heat gun and mold some ABS plastic.
Anyone ever played with sheets of ABS?

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
build it out of lego

use heat gun to gently deform lego into fused permanent structure

u owe me 5$

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Reaction score
build it out of lego

use heat gun to gently deform lego into fused permanent structure

u owe me 5$
Too many glued joints. It would get rocked hard and fall to pieces when I ride on a bumpy road.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
that thing will fit with an inch to spare on all sides, in a 6 quart basket. go retro!!

6$

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
It's way cheaper to buy one off the shelf...3d designers charge by the hour and they demand top dollar...and if something doesn't work out you're back to square one...prototyping is expensive... my $0. 02

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Reaction score
I've got a rear rack I bungee it too. But if I do that I can't bring my trunk bag of stuff. I don't want a basket anyway. It's just one more thing that will beat up my face when I fall off the bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

krashd133

krashd133

Reaction score
There's some websites using crowd-sourcing for 3d designs....or you can try for yourself by using a design from Thingiverse and modifying it in Tinkercad to suit your needs

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Reaction score
Here's the ends of the Jambox mounts:
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:229656
or
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:32974

If you import into Tinkercad and add some connectors and use one of each of the designs at opposite ends you might have a mount that it would slide into and lock into place with some semi-rigid plastic
Yea I saw those online in my search. Almost perfect.
Tinker? I just played with my first tutorial. I wonder if I could get it right and build what I need. Thanks for the link.

krashd133

krashd133

Reaction score
No problem

Just double-check measurements and maybe give yourself a raised platform at the frame-mounting holes, plus maybe .1mm extra diameter(after you get distance between holes spot-on) on the hole itself and the bolt will go right through

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Reaction score
No problem

Just double-check measurements and maybe give yourself a raised platform at the screw-holes, plus maybe .1mm extra diameter(after you get distance between holes spot-on) on the hole itself and the screw will go right through
Yea I need sort of an indented screw hole to hide the screws otherwise their puncture the outside of the jambox. So the bottom will be thick.
Im wondering if tinker will work on my Macbook at home.

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Reaction score
Yes Exactly!
Today I ordered an 11.5v high amp batt made for airsoft guns. Its long and narrow and will hide in my seat post. The I will attached a 12v car horn to the front of my bike. I'm a nerd. But its NYC, and if I had a horn, I could F with all the traffic. Noone will know it was me. The upside is, cars dont look around for whats honking near them, they STOP, then look for the honk. Meanwhile, I'm gone like the wind.

Top Bottom