White light or laser – what makes the best dental 3D scanner?

• Thread starter 3ShapeSupportGuy
  • Start date

3ShapeSupportGuy

Reaction score
Hi guys
I have been following the discussions about technology vs. performance for different kinds of dental scanners. I really find everybody’s input very interesting.

I would like to contribute to the discussion by throwing some additional light on the technical differences between “White Light scanners” and “Laser scanners”.

The plain answer first: It really doesn’t make a difference – other factors are decisive for scanner performance.

Now for the detailed story. In general, there is a lot of confusion about supposed technical advantages of various kinds of light and light sources. Let’s have a look at this.

White light images are sharper:
The opposite is true. Optical lenses refract light of different colors differently. As white light is a combination of all colors, not all these colors can be in perfect focus. This phenomenon is called chromatic aberration [1]. Its effect can be minimized by careful design and assembly of a scanner’s lens system, but it will never disappear completely, and thus it will limit the accuracy of a white light scanner. Lasers, in contrast, are single color light sources and hence don’t suffer from chromatic aberration.

White light penetrates objects less and is reflected better:
An object that appears white reflects all colors equally well. Gypsum casts are at least close to white. As one can easily see, gypsum is very matte which indicates that there is essentially no light penetration through gypsum in general. So all colors work equally well with gypsum. The debate may be muddled by confusion of white light dental scanners with white light interferometers [2] or white light confocal microscopes [3]. These latter instruments are indeed very accurate (and expensive),but they exploit other physical phenomena than dental white light scanners, which are based on the simple principle of fringe projection.

White light sensors are preferred in industry:
Not correct. The majority of scan heads for coordinate measurement machines, which are the reference standard in industrial metrology with accuracies down to 3-5 micron, use lasers. Note that coordinate measurement machines are the most widely used high-accuracy measurement devices. In addition, some industries use white light and laser 3D scanners for less demanding measurement tasks.

White light sources have a longer life time:
The opposite is true. Halogen lights have a mean lifetime of thousands of hours and usually have to be replaced, whereas lasers and LED’s generally outlast other electronics components [4].

White light gives better resolution than laser light:
Camera resolution is what really matters, i.e. how many megapixels the camera sensor has. High end dental scanners have 5 megapixels, typical dental scanners have 1.3 megapixels.

Lasers are imprecise due to speckle:
Again, true in theory, but the effects are too small to matter in practice. Speckle is an effectively random variation in laser light intensity across a dot or line of laser light, resulting in some uncertainty in detecting its center in a scanner’s camera. However, lasers in dental scanners can be driven in such a way that the magnitude of this uncertainty is only approximately 1 micron [5]. Furthermore, advanced image processing algorithms can correct for speckle artifacts, such that the overall effect is negligible.

White light scanners save one axis in the motion system:
Somewhat true - if you are willing to live with a serious disadvantage. White light scanners project a multi-line pattern from a central light source, while a laser only gives a single line and thus has to be moved along a linear axis. However, the additional degree of freedom gives better coverage. From the extreme position of the linear axis, the laser can illuminate regions that are shadows when illuminated from a central position only. As linear axes can be built to be very precise (1-2 micron),the advantage comes at no noticeable accuracy cost.

White light sensors capture data faster:
There is no reason why this should be true. A sensor’s frame rate has nothing to do with the color of light that it senses. In fact, several white light scanners in the dental market are much slower than some laser scanners.

In conclusion, there is no fundamental law in physics that determines that one type of dental scanners is better than others. What really matters for obtaining optimal accuracy are advanced image processing software algorithms, high-resolution cameras, a well-designed mechanical motion system, and sound craftsmanship. To ascertain a consistent level of quality in every-day use, it is furthermore imperative that scanners are supplied with a reference / calibration object and procedure

References

[1] Chromatic aberration - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

[2] Encyclopedia of Laser Physics and Technology - white light interferometers, dispersion measurement, low-coherence interferometry

[3]Frank JH, Elder AD, Swartling J, Venkitaraman AR, Jeyasekharan AD, Kaminski CF: A white light confocal microscope for spectrally resolved multidimensional imaging, Journal of Microscopy, vol 227, pt 3 September 2007, p. 203–215.

[4] Sony Global - Laser Diode

[5] Dorsch, RG, Häusler G, Herrmann JM: Laser triangulation: fundamental uncertainty in distance measurement, Applied Optics, vol 33, no 7, March 1994, p. 1306 – 1314. (See Figure 7. In dental scanners, lasers can be driven to behave like an LED.)

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Sounds good on paper there guy.

So, are you ready to take the DLN Scanner Challenge?

I have a test item to scan. Are you game?

What is thy physical shipping address?

PM is good if you don't want the world to see.

We will let the REAL data do the talking, not google searching.

BobCDT

BobCDT

Reaction score
Scott,
I'd love to see the results of this one.
Bob

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
What about intraoral scanning?
Is it white light ,laser,or other?

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Klingon technology, actually.

Found on an asteroid in the late 50s.

Stored at area-51 1/2

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Thanks for clearing that up....now let's work on your face...:)

3ShapeSupportGuy

Reaction score
Hi Scott,
I will be more than happy to scan the test item here at our facilities in Copenhagen.

Send it to

3Shape A/S
Holmens Kanal 7,4.
1060 Copenhagen K
Denmark

Att. Support

How do you imagine to do the reference scan?

Maybe it's easier to discuss this on the phone. If you send me your phone number, I will give you a call next week.

Have a great weekend :)

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
No cheating!

No stiching together multiple scans and cutting out poor data manually.

We need to limit the number of scans, or prevent overlaying many many scans.

I can already think of a way to cheat if nobody is watching me.

This needs more thought....

P

paulg100

Reaction score
thanks for the info, very interesting.

So what you are basically saying is that the companies with white light scanners that claim it is more accurate ete are making false statements and seeking to make sales by deception?

And why is it that the published accuracy of these white light scanners is better than laser ones? (unless again they are manipulating data)

harmonylab

harmonylab

Reaction score
all I'd like to see is the difference in fit in the final restoration. I think I'll have to make a point of checking both the origin and 3shape's milled results when I visit B&D next week. should be interesting.

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Now, you are adding in other factors.

CAM milling strategy....accuracy of mill are two of the main ones.

Could end up with same results, even though scan data is totally different.

Scott

Slipstream

Slipstream

Reaction score
Ahh refreshing to see a manufacturer in the forum - nothing like hearing it from the horses mouth.

With the money 3Shape have spent on scanner design in the past years, and not just in dental they are huge in the custom hearing aid market, you don't think they would have gone with white light if there was any advantage to it?

Welcome to the group - from your excellent English, I have an idea who you are but - not signing with your real name?

Oh, loving the Trios scanner by the way.

P

paulg100

Reaction score
"Now, you are adding in other factors.

CAM milling strategy....accuracy of mill are two of the main ones.

Could end up with same results, even though scan data is totally different."

yes but surely at its most basic level, if a scanner has lets say a 250um accuracy, and cant capture the data to begin with, then the end result is always gonna be crap regardless.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
all I'd like to see is the difference in fit in the final restoration. I think I'll have to make a point of checking both the origin and 3shape's milled results when I visit B&D next week. should be interesting.

You're going to B&D?...good deal, Chris, Jesse, and Jim are great folks who will take care of you. My guys loved going out there.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
yes but surely at its most basic level, if a scanner has lets say a 250um accuracy, and cant capture the data to begin with, then the end result is always gonna be crap regardless.

Why you bringing Sirona into the conversation....HA!!!

P

paulg100

Reaction score
Now i didnt infer anything there but if only you knew Rob :)

i have new "official" information that i can hopefully share sometime in the future. Due to current events, its best i dont say for now but if you think 250um is ridiculously bad then your gonna be in for a shock...!

Last edited:
NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
I am sure most situations will end up with comparable fits between the two technologies. I don't know about the rest of you but I get some pretty bad preps at times. Up and down margins sharp edges etc. I think this is where white light tech will show the difference. I think this is why 3shape has come out with the D800. Combat these situations that require more accuracy in detail like multiple implant bars etc.
http://www.smartoptics.de/Laser_triangulation_Fundamental_uncertainty_of_measurement_.pdf

Last edited:
DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
I had a smart optics and absolutly hated it.

Maybe it is 100% different now, but I kinda doubt it.

Stay away from that data-void maker.

Poor angle between object and camera and light source.

The overall "triangle" needs to be way different.

Not very tight data point spacing as of a few years ago.

Again, maybe things have changed, but it looks like the exact same housing still. (Also sold as Ovascan)

harmonylab

harmonylab

Reaction score
You're going to B&D?...good deal, Chris, Jesse, and Jim are great folks who will take care of you. My guys loved going out there.

It was a great trip! Awesome folks over there, took real good care of us.

Got a good grip on exocad now, but didn't get to work much with 3shape unfortunately. Fits were actually as good as the sample case, which was pretty much closed at 10x. After using the craplab for so long, it was so nice to see good fits. I won't have to spend half the day fitting crowns, if we get the system.

T

tyson91

Reaction score
"White light scanners save one axis in the motion system:
Somewhat true - if you are willing to live with a serious disadvantage. White light scanners project a multi-line pattern from a central light source, while a laser only gives a single line and thus has to be moved along a linear axis. However, the additional degree of freedom gives better coverage. From the extreme position of the linear axis, the laser can illuminate regions that are shadows when illuminated from a central position only. As linear axes can be built to be very precise (1-2 micron),the advantage comes at no noticeable accuracy cost."

Not 'true that the white light scanner working on one axis .. my scanner and' white light structured and works on all axes because 'the model being free you can put it anywhere and discover all areas Shadow .. for example I can scan the master model before cutting and then align the moncon on the model uncut ...

Top Bottom