What do you tell your docs to fill their holes with?

Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
Their screw access holes, that is. I have heard from several dental techs to use plumbers tape. I just want to make sure that this is the correct thing to be advising my doctors to do. Also, could someone go through the technique that they should be following to fill the holes on the e.Max and Zir hybrid abutment crowns? Thanks!

eyeloveteeth

eyeloveteeth

Reaction score
We tell them plumbers tape and some cotton.

In house - we just block out the screw access shaft with wax and treat it like a regular abutment - then you punch the hole in during design.

Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
What is the purpose of the cotton? I thought the plumbers tape was supposed to take the place of the cotton.

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
Teflon tape and Polysporin. ..avoid cotton, bacteria quite loves it...

Patrick Coon

Patrick Coon

Reaction score
In our classes we recommend they fill with a foam pellet or cotton and then seal with composite.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
eyeloveteeth

eyeloveteeth

Reaction score
Teflon tape and Polysporin. ..avoid cotton, bacteria quite loves it...

Of course it's up to them to use sterile cotton. But the reason for the cotton is the plumbers tape often ends up looking extremely half assed..... and creates more problems. Just wan to plug up the hole nicely so we can get a nice scan.

Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
I wonder if the plumbers tape looks less half-assed if you call it teflon tape. :)

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
I wonder if the plumbers tape looks less half-assed if you call it teflon tape. :)

There are different grades and thicknesses...plumbers tape I found too thin and you won't call it Home Depot plumbers tape in front of the patients ;)...

Of course it's up to them to use sterile cotton. But the reason for the cotton is the plumbers tape often ends up looking extremely half assed..... and creates more problems. Just wan to plug up the hole nicely so we can get a nice scan.

The main reason for using teflon is that compacts down very densely in comparison with cotton...For scanning we just use scanning wax to plug the holes...

ParkwayDental

ParkwayDental

Reaction score
I swear I heard a big name doc say he used teflon tape and paly-doh

eyeloveteeth

eyeloveteeth

Reaction score
I swear I heard a big name doc say he used teflon tape and paly-doh

honestly i would pick play-doh too..... that's a great idea actually...Tyler you've done it again

Tom Moore

Tom Moore

Reaction score
What is the FDA 510k number on plumbers (Teflon) tape? Is it legal put it the mouth without one? Play-doh in the mouth as a treatment modality? I love this place.

EJADA

EJADA

Reaction score
I have several docs that put a tiny dot of light body impression material deep in hole then cover with composite. I have seen cotton be a problem when the un filled resin soaks into it and hardens in the screw head hole. Great until retrieval time and then they can't get there driver to engage. They end up drilling it out. What a mess. I need to ask some client about the Teflon tape thing. Not a bad idea.

M

muzbow

Reaction score
If you cut predetermined lengths of teflon tape, you will know how much is in each access hole. When it's time to retrieve, you will know if you got it. Sterilize by twisting pre-cut lengths and placing in autoclave pouch. Then cover.

T

thondaki

Reaction score
This may be of some help... a small tip and very little impression material ... doesn't break down and seals it up great ..can use a light body material which can be found in a light color.. hope it helps.