What can I do now?

B

brgo

Reaction score
Well it's finally happened my 10year old Kavo Cad computer has died well the motherboard has. Can any one out there offer any suggestions.

The mill and Engin computer and software work perfectly. Can I just get a new computer and load the energy software onto it and connect my scanner to it it the original kavo scanner the little one.

L

Lthompson

Reaction score
The new cad/cam software package is out within the next month. Might be worth the upgrade?

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
If you can still find the same motherboard you could simply replace it, but it would have to be the exact same one and the chance of that might be slim. You can also call Kavo and see what your options are on an upgrtade. What version of windows was the PC running? Maybe you can build or get a new or used computer and try swapping the hard drive, in the computer world you never know what can happen.

A

adamb4321

Reaction score
If you can still find the same motherboard you could simply replace it, but it would have to be the exact same one and the chance of that might be slim. You can also call Kavo and see what your options are on an upgrtade. What version of windows was the PC running? Maybe you can build or get a new or used computer and try swapping the hard drive, in the computer world you never know what can happen.
I don't think putting the hard drive in new board would work unless its the same chipset

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
I don't think putting the hard drive in new board would work unless its the same chipset

You would be surprised, I put my windows 7 hex core ssd in my old windows xp amd quad build and it loaded windows and what not. Two different boards, but it helps a lot to have the same board.

k2 Ceramic Studio

k2 Ceramic Studio

Reaction score
Well it's finally happened my 10year old Kavo Cad computer has died well the motherboard has. Can any one out there offer any suggestions.

The mill and Engine computer and software work perfectly. Can I just get a new computer and load the energy software onto it and connect my scanner to it it the original kavo scanner the little one.
Hi Brgo, sounds like you have the scan eco, Is your computer a dell? If its a dell then it is a really easy fix, if not then its not the end of the world just a bit more hard work. You need to pick up a second hand Dell Optiplex GX620 (ebay £50) as that is the computer that KaVo was using to operate the scan pro and eco, Just take out the optical board and put it in the "new Dell" then make sure you clone your hard drive, and put that in the new comp and turn it on in safe mode and let windows fix its self. We did this and it works great. You have to put in the licence number (Win operating) from your old computer. If you have a really old computer (non dell) it still works with the Dell chip-set on the GX620 as this is the family KaVo went with. We did that as well a bit more work involved for that option but it can be done. You will also need an emulator for the new computer as your KaVo Scan licence is locked to the MAC Address. Its all easy, if you need any help or more info then jusy PM me. Hope some of that helps Pete

B

brgo

Reaction score
Hi Brgo, sounds like you have the scan eco, Is your computer a dell? If its a dell then it is a really easy fix, if not then its not the end of the world just a bit more hard work. You need to pick up a second hand Dell Optiplex GX620 (ebay £50) as that is the computer that KaVo was using to operate the scan pro and eco, Just take out the optical board and put it in the "new Dell" then make sure you clone your hard drive, and put that in the new comp and turn it on in safe mode and let windows fix its self. We did this and it works great. You have to put in the licence number (Win operating) from your old computer. If you have a really old computer (non dell) it still works with the Dell chip-set on the GX620 as this is the family KaVo went with. We did that as well a bit more work involved for that option but it can be done. You will also need an emulator for the new computer as your KaVo Scan licence is locked to the MAC Address. Its all easy, if you need any help or more info then jusy PM me. Hope some of that helps Pete

Thanks Pete I managed to swap the hard drive to another computer and it worked the only problem is that I can't seem to connect to the mill computer when I send a file to it.

k2 Ceramic Studio

k2 Ceramic Studio

Reaction score
That really is the easy bit, if you have swaped hard drives and Mac numbers so you can scan and save then the only thing left to do is sort out the ip address for the machines to talk to one another. The milling machine keeps the details of the ip address of the scanning machine. one way of solving this is to buy a cheap network ethernet switch. Connect this to a router and all is well. Or just look for the ip on the mill through network connections. Did you go with a Dell GX or have you gone for a newer model, it would be good to know as I am thinking of trying to drag mine kicking and screaming
to a newer faster comp. If you need step by step then please let me know but from what you have done it should take you no time. Pete

B

brgo

Reaction score
I had an old GX270 the only problem is there is no graphics card in it so I can only run it with 16 colours. But it works. I have tried to do it with a new Dell Vostro but the cable that connects the hard drive is smaller so I am about to do a search for a 620. I haven't tried scanning yet because I have been scanning with my imetric and designing in exo then using rhino to create the .igs files I just need to be able to send the files to the mill. Thanks for your help.

k2 Ceramic Studio

k2 Ceramic Studio

Reaction score
Sounds like your cable/drive in the new comp is sata and the old one was pata so you just need a simple pata to sata converter, they are on ebay for about £20 or just clone from your pata drive to a new sata drive. Sounds fun anyway, all the best Pete

bog

bog

there's always a way ;)
Reaction score
I had an old GX270 the only problem is there is no graphics card in it so I can only run it with 16 colours. But it works. I have tried to do it with a new Dell Vostro but the cable that connects the hard drive is smaller so I am about to do a search for a 620. I haven't tried scanning yet because I have been scanning with my imetric and designing in exo then using rhino to create the .igs files I just need to be able to send the files to the mill. Thanks for your help.

hi m8,
If you want ? I can try to customize your exocad to work much easier with your Everest.
You should have my email (we talked before) - if not send me PM with yours.

Regards _ Bog

B

brgo

Reaction score
Hey bog how do you send a pm. Sorry

hi m8,
If you want ? I can try to customize your exocad to work much easier with your Everest.
You should have my email (we talked before) - if not send me PM with yours.

Regards _ Bog

Bumfrey

Bumfrey

Reaction score
I swapped a motherboard for a different model a few months back, but it was way newer than 10 years old. More like 4-5 years old. Booted up first time no problems. You know what computers can be like though. Get hold of the setup details and post em on a computer forum. Those nerds get off on helping you out. Its a very useful tool :O.