What are thoughts on Zirconia as a denture base?

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Reaction score
I dunno, sounds pretty pricey.
Especially when you'll probably use a whole ZIRC blank for every PD.
And how many of them will find in a 10,12,14 mm blank.
Some stayplates would have to fit into an 18, or 20 mm
Now were talking some big bucks.

Lazulitone

Lazulitone

Reaction score
Zirconia is too rigid to use it this way. You would find a crack in it after a while.

What about Titanium? It would be a great option for patients with metal allergies and the fact that you can mill it affords the lab all kinds of design possibilities.

KentPWalton

KentPWalton

Reaction score
I personally don't think it would ever work. The material would be too hard on the gums. I agree as well with Marcus, it would be very expensive, and that's just the framework. I don't know how you would do clasps off of it either for partials. Just sounds complicated. Sorry to be skeptical.

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Way too heavy! It would feel like a chunk of lead in your mouth.

RileyS

RileyS

Reaction score
are talking a bar? full on denture? if so wonder what the patients think of the zirkahnzahn monsters they publish all the time?

lcmlabforum

lcmlabforum

Reaction score
How are you attaching the denture teeth to them?
LCM

karabear

karabear

Reaction score
yeah I saw those Zirkonzahn things

karabear

karabear

Reaction score
How are you attaching the denture teeth to them?
LCM

I think the doctor has something in mind. I am just the tech who does his bidding-like those old inventors in the basement of the baron's castle in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang...assuming anyone here is old enough to remember that one.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
a zirconia partial... pray, what setup for teeth? zirconia needs size to be strong. too thin and easily it breaks, too thick and as scott said, it would be a brick.

but it would look damn nice. unique, anyway.

instead of using denture teeth, why not design the teeth into the framework minus 1mm or more in certain spots, and overlay it with some inlay material (composite) and then underneath the denture also make it minus .5mm, and add pink acrylic denture material, wrapping it around the whole framework.

essentially making it a zirconia-reinforced-acryllic partial.

?

edited to add: i was always told (to quote my informer) "tissue loves zirconia" so why NOT use zirconia as a denture base ? i'm not a dentist, and i suspect we will need to consult one.

Last edited:
budgenator

budgenator

Reaction score
I wouldn't use zirconia, but as long as we are thinking about off-the-wall stuff, consider pressed porcelain dentures or at least denture teeth. I'm thinking GC's initial would provide some interest esthetic possibilities.

araucaria

araucaria

Balanced
Reaction score
Could the Zirconia be everything but the base ?
On a virtual articulation the occlusal plane could be set, and a verification jig made for transfer of the arches onto a real articulator to permit the addition of a modifiable resin type base. ? possible??

Denturist

Denturist

Reaction score
The first thing that comes to mind for me is patient compliance during the stage where you are getting all the anotomical measurements. You put all this hardware in their mouth and then attempt to get a comfortable neutral occlusion? Getting the bite is very important and even using an intra-oral tracer can cause the patient to shift into an unnatural occlusion at times.

Second thing I am uncomfortable with is there is no try in........ you are relying on their technology for the aesthetics?

I don't know, I guess I just don't see this as being the wave of the future at this point. Maybe someday but not now.... I wonder if the blue shirts have ever actually made a denture or are they just tech heads?

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
Way too heavy! It would feel like a chunk of lead in your mouth.

cmon now, you should know that the mouth doesnt register weight like holding a chunk of lead in your hand does!

Top Bottom