Wax up of the week

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
Why do we share photos of dentures anyway? Are we oooing and ahhhing at teeth placement? Or dropping our jaws at the esthetics of pre fab teeth? It must be the gum line and tissue contours were spose to be looking at. Whoopedy DO!

Are you serious Marcus?

If you are then you have no clue as to the skill required to set teeth correctly and wax up anatomically for both proper function and esthetics. The techs showing their work in this thread are proud of their craft and they are sharing what they feel is quality work. Many times we request constructive criticism on how to improve, this segment of the industry (denture techs) in my opinion will have more long term viability in this market than ceramists. I don't want to start a pissing contest on which segment is more valuable because knowledge is always valuable. I do think there are far fewer quality denture techs today and many more quality ceramists struggling to find a place in this industry. If you are a ceramist and have no aspirations of becoming a business owner you most likely will be looking for cross training in the future.

DentureDude

DentureDude

trained monkey
Reaction score
well said John.
every fixed lab i know is now trying to get into removables to help make ends meet.
am i worried? raised all my prices 25% within a year and i still cant seem to get any time off.
i don't blame them. i would do the same if it came down to survival.

could i do fixed? absolutely.
have i ever wanted to? never. i have real respect for the artist that do it. its quite amazing work. there is no doubt. but.. it just doesn't appeal to me. never has. i would rather build an engine, make a beautiful piece of furniture or maybe an acoustic guitar,.. than paint a picasso with a tiny brush all day. i like a little something more in my hands. i don't have to wear a mask, and have never had to wear loops much less look through a microscope all day.

i enjoy seeing happy old people smiling and eating. sometimes they don't have much else left to be happy about.

Last edited:
DentureDude

DentureDude

trained monkey
Reaction score
Why do we share photos of dentures anyway? Are we oooing and ahhhing at teeth placement? Or dropping our jaws at the esthetics of pre fab teeth? It must be the gum line and tissue contours were spose to be looking at. Whoopedy DO!

whats most interesting is you never mentioned function?
oh thats right. all your stuff is bonded in solid. cant move around during mastication..
now that sounds easy.

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Reaction score
whats most interesting is you never mentioned function?
oh thats right. all your stuff is bonded in solid. cant move around during mastication..
now that sounds easy.
You can see all that in a photo?
Min $200? Your saying your two hands alone produce $400k+ a year. Who you tryin to kid?

droberts

droberts

Reaction score
You can see all that in a photo?
Min $200? Your saying your two hands alone produce $400k+ a year. Who you tryin to kid?

Marcus, Cameras don't lie. They can improve on your ability to fabricate a better prosthesis.
With the demand of removables right now, we all try to improve. Its interesting that I
spoke with a few dental lab students a few weeks ago. They all want to be a ceramist???
As for the $400K? Sure, we can. Right now up 21% and now have hired a full time
tech. Now work 4.5 days with no weekends. Life is good:)

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Reaction score
Marcus, Cameras don't lie. They can improve on your ability to fabricate a better prosthesis.
With the demand of removables right now, we all try to improve. Its interesting that I
spoke with a few dental lab students a few weeks ago. They all want to be a ceramist???
As for the $400K? Sure, we can. Right now up 21% and now have hired a full time
tech. Now work 4.5 days with no weekends. Life is good:)
Denture techs don't make $400k a year. And a lab owner who is a denture tech does not produce $400k with his own labor.

DentureDude

DentureDude

trained monkey
Reaction score
Denture techs don't make $400k a year. And a lab owner who is a denture tech does not produce $400k with his own labor.

nobody ever said that.

but can a good denture tech setting up make $200 in an hour including the teeth mark up?

absolutely. happens all the time. but nobody ever said (or implied) it happens every hour of every day. there are other things to do right?
don't be silly.

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Reaction score
nobody ever said that.

but can a good denture tech setting up make $200 in an hour including the teeth mark up?

absolutely. happens all the time. but nobody ever said (or implied) it happens every hour of every day. there are other things to do right?
don't be silly.
Then its not a good argument.
"There was this one time I Made two hundred dollars in an hour."-Silly

DentureDude

DentureDude

trained monkey
Reaction score
nobody ever said that either??

what do you consider a good argument?

when you can just make up your own quotes?

Last edited:
DentureDude

DentureDude

trained monkey
Reaction score
Then its not a good argument.
"There was this one time I Made two hundred dollars in an hour."-Silly

I think i see the problem your having here.

It doesnt always have to be perceived as an argument.
Sometimes.. Its just a discussion. :)

Last edited:
Marcusthegladiator CDT

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Reaction score
I think i see the problem your having here.

It's dosent always have to be perceived as an argument.
Sometimes.. Its just a discussion. :)
Yea but still. :)

D

danalab

Reaction score
Hey these dentures look great. I wish that I could get you to do some set ups for me like that. It is really hard to get some of the newer guys to get form and function along with esthetics. Don't give classes do you?
I totally agree this is a great set up. Thank you for sharing and I also wish you gave tutorials.

denturist-student

denturist-student

Reaction score
Well this is a wax up I did for a try in for temps for a future metal ceramic screw retained splint.
Made the wax up pretty much like the finals will be with no flanges.
Not sure if the Dr is going to make the temps or send it back to me to make.
First time for me using denture teeth.
Packed a cold pack with it and sending it next day to California don't want it to melt.
View attachment 14539
View attachment 14541
View attachment 14542
View attachment 14544
View attachment 14545
I think this setup and contouring raises the bar on esthetics and technological skill a huge amount....To me it is absolutely flawless.

Thedentureman

Thedentureman

Reaction score
its called wax up of the week ****

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Reaction score
I got this case yesterday and need it finished for when we come back next week. Building veneers on lower from 1st bi to bi. First comes the diagnostic waxup. I prepped for veneers and threw the wax on. Dr. wanted to keep the same plane and arch. So I build a guide table before prepping.
I'll show this to the doc next week, make any adjustments necessary, then build a prep guide and matrix for temps. Then later well build the case.
11089009313_626dea6343_z.jpg

11088882866_5eea41a76a_z.jpg

11088878856_6dd1240641_c.jpg

11088781545_02043a49a8_z.jpg

11088993883_511c5b5df0_c.jpg

11088773625_e0a771f169_z.jpg

11088878834_32275e12c1_z.jpg

11088981473_c3ed3e42da_c.jpg

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
lingual food traps if you don't prep for crowns.

Nice waxup though.

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Reaction score
lingual food traps if you don't prep for crowns.

Nice waxup though.
I try an prep lite/minimal. At least less than I know the doc will. I don't want him to have trouble seating the matrix. And I'm sure he'll wrap the preps very well. He's a very good doc. Very good. So he'll surely have temp material flow through to the lingual he can cleanup nicely. I'll mention that though when he sees the waxup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cbite Dental Products

Cbite Dental Products

Reaction score
There are a lot of talkers on this site. Let's start posting pictures of denture wax ups. And let the network beat them up.:cool:

I just posted...first time ever anywhere...waiting to hear from them...(...sigh...)