Tuning the KaVo for high-preformance

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
If you can decipher G-code....then you can edit your CNC instructions.

Just change the feed rate! You can open in Notepad and edit....save as text file...then delete the .txt at end of file name so it goes back to regular CNC type file.

Browse in your PLC computer and you will see the CNC instructions. P20001 P10001 etc..

Open with Notepad and check it out. Google things! LOL

Tell me about your spindle RPM for roughing on the KaVo strategy. I have been going down to nearly 12000RPMs with 3mm roughing. Crazy low RPMs IMO. But, what do I know?

Look on C: drive...and I think the KaVo folder. I'm at home in underware drinking coffee...be at work soon.

The KaVo style CNC folder format is very odd. SUM3D used special custom post-processor to spit out the CNC instructions in that same format. Very unique to KaVo only. DelCam solution is to rip apart the mill and swap out encoders to match their software. Very un-necessary. They should have tried harder and gone a step further to avoid such drastic changes. SUM3D is much less envasive and you can still use OEM KaVo software.

IMO, DelCam took the easy road, but more time and $$ for customer.

Scott

Last edited:
k2 Ceramic Studio

k2 Ceramic Studio

Reaction score
Tell me about your spindle RPM for roughing on the KaVo strategy. I have been going down to nearly 12000RPMs with 3mm roughing

No problem Scott, and thanks for the info, we had a guy look at it about a year ago and he told us the g code set up was way way over the top, He said it reads a line (the engine) then does a full page diagnostic of the first line and then reads the second line and does a diagnostic and so on, thats why Delcam could not get it to work with powermill. Cant wait to have a play later and will have a look at the spindle RPM, WILL TRY AND GO INTO IIBH NOW AND SEE IF IT SHOWS IT AS STANDARD.

k2 Ceramic Studio

k2 Ceramic Studio

Reaction score
Tell me about your spindle RPM for roughing on the KaVo strategy. I have been going down to nearly 12000RPMs with 3mm roughing. Crazy low RPMs IMO. But, what do I know?

Scott

Hi Pal, here we go

Ti coping, I monitored the IBH during the milling of a coping on the start of the occlusion mill
The mill cycle was split into 4 steps

Step 1 (start of milling Roughing) feed 800, actual 800 limit 3000, Spindle speed pre set 2500, Actual 24998 All with 3mm bur, stop at 20% work completion

Step 2 20-40% Actual feed 500, speed 24498, still 3mm bur

Step 3 40-80% Actual feed 190-480, Speed 24498 Still 3mm bur

Step 4 (1mm bur) rate changing all the time from75 to 210 to 370 mad fluctuations for 2-3min then gos 225-500 still fluctuating SPEED 39999

Any feedback on this Scott??????

A

Art&Dental

Reaction score
Kavo Base Camp

greetings,
i just read your post and i was very interested in that Software, i have a Kavo everest Base camp wich works only on 3 axes, i found out that its just a software thing and it could run on 5 axes can youi help me with that?

Best regards

Gramos

It is fun!

If anyone is interested, I'd be happy to support you for a trial or purchase of SUM3D and DentalShaper and Rhino. You can then do almost anything with any material and any scanner and any mill. Really adaptable for future materials and machines! Always evolving.

I would travel and spend a few days to help get going.
I have Three people and myself that are ready to answer questions from 7:00AM est - 9:00PM est. I have an employee, Brad, who went to college for CAD design, including Rhino. He is very good at problem solving with many things. He runs SUM3D for Ten hours a day.

Send me a PM if you are interested. I promise it is all that and more! I have seen it with my own two eyes all year now. Been clicking on every button and playing and breaking and messing up and then fixing it. Glad to share! I can save you time by showing you what NOT to do! LOL

That is the real info you need.

CIMSystems is open to customer request. All things are possible, if there is enough $$ involved. Some things just don't make sense. Stick with mainstream machines and you'll be good to go. If you have funky, obscure machine that nobody else has, then expect a slightly higher fee to adapt that technology to "open" format.

Scott

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
What do you want to mill?

Why do you feel you NEED 5-axis?

I actually only run 3-axis + 1 (flip)

Scott

A

Art&Dental

Reaction score
is yours base camp or is it a 5 axes mill.
i mill zirconium and titanium but it is very slow 40min per tooth too slow.
also do you know how to open it make it mill all blanks.not just Kavo blanks

thanks

What do you want to mill?

Why do you feel you NEED 5-axis?

I actually only run 3-axis + 1 (flip)

Scott

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
I tried to make wet-milling Zirconia faster with no success by writing my own strategy.

Months and months. Had to throw in the towel. It just sucks bologna.

Changed the KaVo to Dry-milling, and problem solved.

There are options to "open" the KaVo.

Where are you? USA?

A

Art&Dental

Reaction score
Can you show me how to do it?!!
I live in Kosovo (Europe)
Also can you tell me options for opening it.
Thanks

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Pete @ K2 maybe knows of more ways than me.

I use SUM3d CAM software from cimsystems.com

Top Bottom