TrueDef IOS

R

Rick Sonntag

Reaction score
At this price 3Shape may as well pack up and keep Trios in Europe. I don't know how they can compete with having to pay middlemen to flog their product instead of selling direct like 3M is doing.

The winds of change are-a-blowin'...time to put the sails up.

M

macminn

Reaction score
What will a lab have to have to accept scans from this new scanner?

Sam-CAP

Sam-CAP

Reaction score
At present we are doing same day Lava Ultimate crowns through the COS.

Problem has been lag in system,(ie margin marking and submiting)

Now its the cloud so should be immediate. Cant wait for this BBBBBig door to open

I'm not sure if that's going to be the case. The RAW COS files still have to be post processed by a human before you are able to design on them.

S

Scanner Man

Reaction score
I'm not sure if that's going to be the case. The RAW COS files still have to be post processed by a human before you are able to design on them.

How sure are you that they still need post processing? I tried to find out and couldn't get a clear answer. If they still need post processing it is still a big negative even with a less than $20K price.

Sam-CAP

Sam-CAP

Reaction score
How sure are you that they still need post processing? I tried to find out and couldn't get a clear answer. If they still need post processing it is still a big negative even with a less than $20K price.

I am almost certain, I use to be a post processor for the Lava COS a few years back and I have a buddy who still does it. The system in place to get these files to "manufacture ready" or even "design read" is quite complex.

I actually asked my friend if he has heard anything about these changes to the COS and "open" model manufacturing, 3M has told him nothing. I will keep everyone posted if I hear anything.

Rex Kramer

Rex Kramer

HMFIC
Reaction score
I am almost certain, I use to be a post processor for the Lava COS a few years back and I have a buddy who still does it. The system in place to get these files to "manufacture ready" or even "design read" is quite complex.

I actually asked my friend if he has heard anything about these changes to the COS and "open" model manufacturing, 3M has told him nothing. I will keep everyone posted if I hear anything.

I've already got my largest account interested and offered to pay 1/2 his monthly fee. Its worth it if I dont have to do model work anymore and right now thats the big question mark for me...

griffmar79

griffmar79

Reaction score
My Jensen rep told me that labs will have to pay a fee of +$900 to accept the files the docs upload to the cloud or software to download it...

Y

YMS96

Reaction score
At this price 3Shape may as well pack up and keep Trios in Europe. I don't know how they can compete with having to pay middlemen to flog their product instead of selling direct like 3M is doing.

The winds of change are-a-blowin'...time to put the sails up.

The TRIOS almost seems a little dated now with these new IO scanners popping up so hopefully they already have the second generation wand in the words (smaller).

Mark Jackson

Mark Jackson

Reaction score
This is interesting in the fact that the original COS system (Brontes) was acquired at a cost of $90 million dollars (or so I was told).

This new system is 100% entirely organic, developed at the 3M campus, and incorporating experts in technology from every division of the company. It's entirely new.

Sam-CAP

Sam-CAP

Reaction score
This is interesting in the fact that the original COS system (Brontes) was acquired at a cost of $90 million dollars (or so I was told).

This new system is 100% entirely organic, developed at the 3M campus, and incorporating experts in technology from every division of the company. It's entirely new.

I don't believe that the entire system was re-developed on the 3M campus for one second, unless you were being sarcastic. It's quite obvious to me its the same system, new hardware and price that's about it. It's not a bad thing, but we shouldn't think that this new COS product will fix all of the short comings of the past COS. If it did, wouldn't they want to sell it for more then 12k?

Gru

Gru

Reaction score
I don't believe that the entire system was re-developed on the 3M campus for one second, unless you were being sarcastic. It's quite obvious to me its the same system, new hardware and price that's about it. It's not a bad thing, but we shouldn't think that this new COS product will fix all of the short comings of the past COS. If it did, wouldn't they want to sell it for more then 12k?

It is certainly possible they developed it entirely in house. While I can't help being a bit enthusiastic about what this can do, it does make me wonder what competitive IOS will be coming to the market soon. 3M is way larger than most realize. As to the price, competition???

Mark Jackson

Mark Jackson

Reaction score

Bob (Sorry, SAM),I met with a couple folks who were passing through on their way up to the ADA meeting. I got a brief PPT and saw the project summary. All new. The open STL and a line of new restorative materials are the razor blades for this new razor.

Last edited:
Sam-CAP

Sam-CAP

Reaction score
It is certainly possible they developed it entirely in house. While I can't help being a bit enthusiastic about what this can do, it does make me wonder what competitive IOS will be coming to the market soon. 3M is way larger than most realize. As to the price, competition???

I can agree with that. I'm very excited that 3Shape has some low cost competition, I would love to see the Lava COS succeed. I worked for Brontes 3M for 3 years and saw what happened when they moved the company to Minnesota, that's why I'm skeptical at any major overall process improvements.

popcorn

Sam-CAP

Sam-CAP

Reaction score
Bob (Sorry, SAM),I met with a couple folks who were passing through on their way up to the ADA meeting. I got a brief PPT and saw the project summary. All new. The open STL and a line of new restorative materials are the razor blades for this new razor.

Nice. 3M is a good company and they threat their employees well, not to mention make good products. I really do hope this new COS is a game changer.

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score

We get Raw scans and process in minutes with DentalShaper and Rhino.

It's not Black-Magic. Just a few minutes of playing with data points and triangles.

Out pops a file ready for CAD and model production. I (and others) will make our own Razor Blades.

touché

REJ

REJ

Reaction score
Nice. 3M is a good company and they threat their employees well, not to mention make good products. I really do hope this new COS is a game changer.

Hey Sam,
I used to be on the passed off to team before I left, there were a few breakthroughs I left them also with a massive do this list when I left 3m. I'm really interested to see what they did, I'll call Dave and Jim graham to see what made the build and will be back to MN for thanksgiving and may drop in. If it is easy and open it could be a game changer. Just depends on what made it in this iteration. It was not all organic, 3M markets a nameless faceless, our infrastructure creates awesome products theme. People like me invent. I used to work there, now they are less innovative. Also losing Janos Ilya and Ben was dumb, with others those guys were assets.

Last edited:
Rex Kramer

Rex Kramer

HMFIC
Reaction score
Its simple, I ask my largest account what he spends on impression material ($$$$) I told him what 3M is putting on the table... he was instantly interested...he has trouble with impressing large cases....this a no brainer for him...especially when I offered to pick up half the monthly fee... if of course it works..... You guys know I hate model work...its a huge part of my labor as a one mean studio...this solves it...since NobelProcera cant scan impressions...lol.....

griffmar79 call your 3m rep take the online/over the phone course/test and your in...they should be telling people this when they sell....

ParkwayDental

ParkwayDental

Reaction score
Its simple, I ask my largest account what he spends on impression material ($$$$) I told him what 3M is putting on the table... he was instantly interested...he has trouble with impressing large cases....this a no brainer for him...especially when I offered to pick up half the monthly fee... if of course it works..... You guys know I hate model work...its a huge part of my labor as a one mean studio...this solves it...since NobelProcera cant scan impressions...lol.....

griffmar79 call your 3m rep take the online/over the phone course/test and your in...they should be telling people this when they sell....

We are in the same process. We are even thinking about possibly paying a percentage of the monthly payment of the IOS.

BobCDT

BobCDT

Reaction score
My understanding is the scan data will be available immediately. It will be interesting to see how accurate the scans are. The business model looks great.

ceram1

ceram1

Reaction score
The official approved chairside component is the e4d. I think that must mean the files are ready to go.