Trios and Printed models

S

Surfer87

Reaction score
hey there,
im a dentist and i want to know how your experience is regarding intraoral Scanning und printing the models. Especially for implant models. I want to transfer the situation in the mouth in the best way into the lab. so i would like to scan intraoral and send it to the lab to Print the model. How is the accuracy especially for multiple implants or implant bridges?
Thanks!

richmc2

richmc2

Reaction score
Welcome to the forums Surfer87. I would ask your lab, because a lot depends on their capabilities, experience and tolerances. I think many would accept a Trios scan for one or multiple implants, especially within one quadrant, while other labs require an impression on implant cases, especially as the case or the bridge gets larger.

In the early days of intra-oral scans, we saw some pretty distorted full arches. However, today most intraoral scanner manufacturers, supported by a number of studies, would tell you this is much less of a problem, especially with proper training. Also, while some labs work with high-precision very accurate printers, they don't all have the same equipment -- so even if the scan is perfect, the printer your lab is using may not be.

Inclusive Magazine published this successful full arch digital implant case study a few years ago, but I think Glidewell's policy is they still don't accept intra-oral scans for full arches: http://glidewelldental.com/educatio...-full-arch-implant-restorations-a-case-study/

There are many academic studies supporting the accuracy of intraoral scans going back many years, but I think this is a pretty good recent study from last year, used 20 patients and iTero scanners: http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0157713

The study above concluded that while the typical 0.1mm differences were acceptable for most indications. they also cautioned that they saw was 50-100% more variance/distortion in the mandibular posterior areas of the scans, so they recommended more care and/or rescanning in these areas. Also, the study didn't specifically cite implant cases.

Is "und" a typo, are you from Germany?

S

Surfer87

Reaction score
Thanks for ur answer Rich.
Yes i am from Germany. I have my own lab in my clinic. My team is using 3shape already. We are doing many implants. And i wanted to have a better, easier and more reliable workflow for implant cases. I would like to send my scans to Dreve to print the model. I hope they have the experience and knowledge in 3D printing especially for big and difficult cases.

DESS-USA

DESS-USA

Reaction score
What is dreve using for their intraoral scan bodies. Are they providing you the library files? Do they have intraoral scan bodies for multiunit cases which I assume is what you mean by big and difficult cases.

S

Surfer87

Reaction score
I contacted Dreve. They say they can work with every scanbody. They just need to import the Data. Of course i also need Multi Unit abutments. The question is if an intraoral scan on multis can produce a passive fitting bridge or bar? Or a scan on implant level can produce perfect fitting telescopic abutments? Has anyone expirience with that?

MetalMachine

MetalMachine

Reaction score
Dreve made good models at least for singles but we didn't try any bigger cases. Models were good if scans were too. It was funny to notice how crowns for patient docs fitted always but for impatient docs they didn't. It takes a lot of time and patience to learn scanning properly. And to understand margin line covered with gingiva/blood will not be scanned..

S

Surfer87

Reaction score
What do u mean with patience or impatience? What are the differences between a good scan and a bad one? I mean what can be done wrong with a scan Body?

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
What do u mean with patience or impatience? What are the differences between a good scan and a bad one? I mean what can be done wrong with a scan Body?
They can be seated incorrectly and not noticed without an xray verification.

MetalMachine

MetalMachine

Reaction score
I mean handling scanner and human nature. Some people don't hold their hand steady and they bounce back and forth taking too much data, while blood and saliva are filling up scanning area and and partly scanned cheek covering rest of it. Result is a messy scan. Problem is solved by practicing a lot before taking a real patient in. I'm not kidding. Some doesn't even read the manual before first patient and get frustrated. Might be self-evident for you but I've seen things. And even after practicing some docs are just too hasty. I saw a huge variation between docs using same scanner. It doesn't suit for everyone but you can get good results at least in singles.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
I mean handling scanner and human nature. Some people don't hold their hand steady and they bounce back and forth taking too much data, while blood and saliva are filling up scanning area and and partly scanned cheek covering rest of it. Result is a messy scan. Problem is solved by practicing a lot before taking a real patient in. I'm not kidding. Some doesn't even read the manual before first patient and get frustrated. Might be self-evident for you but I've seen things. And even after practicing some docs are just too hasty. I saw a huge variation between docs using same scanner. It doesn't suit for everyone but you can get good results at least in singles.
So basically it works with those that realize its tiny point and shoot photography, but not those that think it's digital magic.

MetalMachine

MetalMachine

Reaction score
Just tried to express myself less insulting. ;) I often hear how "bad" scanners are but usually only fault is users attitude.

M

MJFDDS

Reaction score
What is dreve using for their intraoral scan bodies. Are they providing you the library files? Do they have intraoral scan bodies for multiunit cases which I assume is what you mean by big and difficult cases.

Keith, when do you plan on having intraoral scan bodies available?

CreDes

CreDes

Reaction score
As a lab, I receive implant scans with NT Trading scan bodies and use printed models regularly. I have not had any negative feedback, only positive. CAP prints my models and I think they use a Stratasys printer. I have only done screw retained bridges up to 2 units. I have not done a full arch implant case, but I have done a full arch single unit case that went really well.

Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez

Reaction score
I have a question about powderless vs powder intra-oral scanners. Many doctors have told me that even though their scanners are powderless they still use spray -especially when they have bigger cases - I've also read many articles that recommend powder. Your comments are appreciated.

cnhart@me.com

[email protected]

Reaction score

We do full arch using direct scan of the actual multiunits
No problem for trios
We also use impression scan of alginate
068b7a6cf8ec7198536d9f986ef19ed7.png

Special library to generate interface