To repair a chipped stone die

Tayebdental

Tayebdental

Tayeb S. CDT
Donator
Reaction score
Friends,

Any ideas on repairing a tiny chipped shoulder prep or a bubble on the margin of a stone die, I know I could pour the impression again, your feed back is appreciated.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Triad gel light cure works great .

after curing,reshape the margin with a white rubber wheel.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
If it's a bubble, I use Zap-it, and shape it as needed by comparing to the transfer die you will ultimately be using to confirm it with. If it's a little bigger area, you could soak the die to hydrate it, put it back in the impression, and tease a thin mixed die stone in the area, and let it set, pull it out and lightly swap that area with super glue to help it keep bonded to the original die. Sometimes that works, sometimes it flakes off.

edit: rkm pretty much said the same thing, was posting at the same time ;)

Tayebdental

Tayebdental

Tayeb S. CDT
Donator
Reaction score
If it's a bubble, I use Zap-it, and shape it as needed by comparing to the transfer die you will ultimately be using to confirm it with. If it's a little bigger area, you could soak the die to hydrate it, put it back in the impression, and tease a thin mixed die stone in the area, and let it set, pull it out and lightly swap that area with super glue to help it keep bonded to the original die. Sometimes that works, sometimes it flakes off.

edit: rkm pretty much said the same thing, was posting at the same time ;)
Thank car54,
I basically do the same, I sometimes mix thick ca glue with the same color stone to repair, I gave up on zap it long time ago, I use believe it or not titebond ca glue from the very thin to gel viscosity, I buy it from a hoppy shop, it is a lot cheaper, 2 oz bottle for about $9.oo. But the triad gel is a good one too.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
I'll have to try that, thanks to you, and rkm, I learned something new :)

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Reaction score
Spit on the back of your hand.
Pickup a pinch of die stone with your bard parker.
Mix it with your spit to a thick consistancy on the back of your hand like its a pallet.
Smear and apply the spitty stone to the missing margin area.
Place die back into impression.
Wait to dry.
Clean margin up, and apply less than a drop of thin set and hit it with accelerator so it bleeds.
lean again with your round bur.
Apply red pencil.
Die harden.
Done.
OR!
if you already have the finished metal or zirconia frmaework, or restoration.
Dont stick it back in the impression, rather seat the coping and smear the die stone into the missing margins while on the coping, repat steps 13, 4, D, and bannanna.
done.

Tayebdental

Tayebdental

Tayeb S. CDT
Donator
Reaction score
I'll have to try that, thanks to you, and rkm, I learned something new :)

You are welcome,
This a Great site, imagine the world now a days, I got an answer for rkm in Canada , from you in the US and I am here in the northeast, what a wonderful world!!!

Tayebdental

Tayebdental

Tayeb S. CDT
Donator
Reaction score
Spit on the back of your hand.
Pickup a pinch of die stone with your bard parker.
Mix it with your spit to a thick consistancy on the back of your hand like its a pallet.
Smear and apply the spitty stone to the missing margin area.
Place die back into impression.
Wait to dry.
Clean margin up, and apply less than a drop of thin set and hit it with accelerator so it bleeds.
lean again with your round bur.
Apply red pencil.
Die harden.
Done.
OR!
if you already have the finished metal or zirconia frmaework, or restoration.
Dont stick it back in the impression, rather seat the coping and smear the die stone into the missing margins while on the coping, repat steps 13, 4, D, and bannanna.
done.

Good one,
dose it have to be a spit?, I think a tear is better because it has it's own antibiotic and comply with infliction control protocol. And there are a lot of tears when ditching some dies!!!.

Last edited:
Marcusthegladiator CDT

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Reaction score
You can use blood

A

Anonymous-Coward

Reaction score
Mix raw dental stone with super glue. Place it on the area with your favorite fine tipped tool. I like really small endo-files. You end up with a repair the same color as your die and the repair can easily be modified with a sharp knife or small burr.

It bonds really well
same color as the die
you don't have to get the die wet
it's very strong
It's dirt cheap (Zap-it is expensive, and everyone has a little super glue laying around)

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
We.ve used a very high temp wax, same one as for block out.

Friends,

Any ideas on repairing a tiny chipped shoulder prep or a bubble on the margin of a stone die, I know I could pour the impression again, your feed back is appreciated.

Top Bottom