Tips and Tricks for your lab

pjd cdt

pjd cdt

Reaction score
Red die spacer with a sloppy user!

Polarmolar

Polarmolar

Reaction score
When pouring up impressions use a small pointy instrument and slide it around the margins to make sure you always have perfect margins.

SiKBOY

SiKBOY

Reaction score
View attachment 3720 View attachment 3721
For adjusting contacts I like to use a one sided diamond strip.
Here I've used a handle from a paint can,bent it like a recurve bow for tension and cut slots perpendicular to the strip.
Wrap diamond strip 1-1/2 times and you have a handy holder.

Do you use it like a saw keeping downward pressure on the crown or hold the strip there and rock the crown lingo bucally?

Gru

Gru

Reaction score
save a buck a ring!

Neat trick: Use excess investment to make disposable plungers. I made a silicone matrix of 2 Alox plungers, and whenever I have 10g extra investment of the right ratio I can make one. On emax I get two from every 200g ring. Vibrate during pour, quickly grind top flat, burn out at least 1 hour.

HOMEADE INGOTS 001.jpg HOMEADE INGOTS 002.JPG HOMEADE INGOTS 003.JPG

We've been doing this for 2 years without any negatives.
HOMEADE INGOTS 003.JPG HOMEADE INGOTS 001.jpg HOMEADE INGOTS 002.JPG

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
love those ikea lights, i have several

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
Neat trick: Use excess investment to make disposable plungers. I made a silicone matrix of 2 Alox plungers, and whenever I have 10g extra investment of the right ratio I can make one. On emax I get two from every 200g ring. Vibrate during pour, quickly grind top flat, burn out at least 1 hour.

View attachment 3725 View attachment 3726 View attachment 3724

now THAT is an excellent idea. what investment are you using?

Gru

Gru

Reaction score
now THAT is an excellent idea. what investment are you using?

Microstar HS, PressVest Speed, HS Vest Universal (see, it doesn't matter, only the ratio has to give you a 13mm result AFTER the burnout). Yes, we are trying to save a little everywhere to cut costs w/o cutting the things that matter most: service and quality.

L

lifelikedental

Reaction score
How long do you bench set? 30 mins? Stage burnout or fast burnout? I think its a great idea and i want to try it out

Gru

Gru

Reaction score
Do it exactly like to do your emax ring for starters (17 min for MS HS vest, 30 min for Ivo PressVest speed, etc). Adjust from there for expansion, but the set time is the same and I burnout longer (1 hour) to make sure it's clean. My last silicone former lasted a year. Use air hose to eject the plunger from the former to avoid damaging either- catch it! Gently grind end to make it flat- rounded end goes against ingot.

SiKBOY

SiKBOY

Reaction score

View attachment 3725 View attachment 3726 View attachment 3724

We used to do this in my old Lab. It woks a treat! I totally forgot about this one! Hahahahahha!! Thanks for reminding me

CYNOSURER

CYNOSURER

Can't reMember
Reaction score
Some Tool Tips:

Quick-grip from the hardware store for holding models while glue dries. They have a real small one that I like as it fits in a pressure pot.

Baby bumpers also at the hardware store (Home Depot) for wrist support. It fits over the edge of your bench with only the length needing trimming (they come in 2 of 4 ft lengths I believe)

Document Holder (from Office Depot) They come with a clamp on both ends. I melted one end by mistake so I just cut it off and cured it to my suction unit. Now hands free spotting in… sort of.

subrisi

subrisi

Reaction score
I use a dollar store lipstick ( non metallic) and an old brush to paint the dies and use it as indicator where my crown is holding up. It is asy to wipe off and at the end of the day steams off very easy.

SiKBOY

SiKBOY

Reaction score
I got this mug from my client. At least they know the crap we have to endure! A win for the good guys.

Anyways, I'm sure every tech has a coffee mug or 3 around the lab for those late nights/ early mornings. To get rid of the coffee ring stains, next time you are pouring up, get a bit in your fingers and rub the stone into the coffee stains and they are instantly gone!

aimg.tapatalk.com_95879201_0e5c_6a86.jpg
aimg.tapatalk.com_95879201_0e5c_6a86.jpg

SiKBOY

SiKBOY

Reaction score
I use a dollar store lipstick ( non metallic) and an old brush to paint the dies and use it as indicator where my crown is holding up. It is asy to wipe off and at the end of the day steams off very easy.

I used to do this but I could never steam clean the models completely. There would always be a red tinge in the models. It works quiet well other wise, just have to make sure you don't lay it on thick

SiKBOY

SiKBOY

Reaction score
Almost everyone knows these ones but for those just starting out. To save on clean up and frosted windows.

Put a zip lock bag around your vibrator so the vibrator doesn't get caked with stone during pour up. The stone will easily peel away from the plastic. aimg.tapatalk.com_95879244_1232_a7ae.jpg

And a bit of Glad Wrap (seran wrap) to protect your viewing window on the sand blaster.
aimg.tapatalk.com_95879244_1296_d9b9.jpg
aimg.tapatalk.com_95879244_1232_a7ae.jpg aimg.tapatalk.com_95879244_1296_d9b9.jpg

Scotts studio

Scotts studio

Reaction score
Hey does anybody remember the old white indicating spray from Ney? I use a spray you can pick up at any drug store called Desinex ( antifungal powder spray) It has to be the white "powder" spray. It's just like the old stuff and 1/3 the cost.

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
Hey does anybody remember the old white indicating spray from Ney? I use a spray you can pick up at any drug store called Desinex ( antifungal powder spray) It has to be the white "powder" spray. It's just like the old stuff and 1/3 the cost.

I remember the white Ney powder, every time I used it, it made me sneeze and my nose would run. I don't know if I was allergic to it or what, but I hated that stuff.

Gru

Gru

Reaction score
CatamountRob- love your location!;)