Tips and Tricks for your lab

Labwa

Labwa

Reaction score
i put my rings in a pressure pot. reduces bubbles and makes them easier to remove if you get any. flicks off with a knife. been doing this for bout a decade. works great. does not change fit and i believe it makes rings more dense.

All my investment goes in at 1.5 bar. phosphate bound. Works perfectly.

Last edited:
NDLMilling

NDLMilling

Reaction score
My contribution:

Use isopropyl alcohol to separate hot glue. It undermines the glue, and it will peel right off cleanly. Works on on pretty much any surface.

-Everett

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
note: Dettol works wonders in place of Super Sep or whatever die sep medium you might have been using. plus it's non-toxic. unlike Super Sep and others!!!
and Gru I wish I could 'like' your plunger post again. seriously one of the biggest and best cost savers ever!!!

Toast

Toast

Reaction score
Almost everyone knows these ones but for those just starting out. To save on clean up and frosted windows.

Put a zip lock bag around your vibrator so the vibrator doesn't get caked with stone during pour up. The stone will easily peel away from the plastic. aimg.tapatalk.com_95879244_1232_a7ae.jpg

And a bit of Glad Wrap (seran wrap) to protect your viewing window on the sand blaster.
aimg.tapatalk.com_95879244_1296_d9b9.jpg

We had Ghost Armor installed on the glass for our sand blaster. It's been over a month and still crystal clear. We just wash it with a little soap and water once a week a blow it dry with an air hose.
aimg.tapatalk.com_95879244_1232_a7ae.jpg aimg.tapatalk.com_95879244_1296_d9b9.jpg

EJADA

EJADA

Reaction score
We had Ghost Armor installed on the glass for our sand blaster. It's been over a month and still crystal clear. We just wash it with a little soap and water once a week a blow it dry with an air hose.

How much? And where did you get it installed? Sounds like a great idea. .

Toast

Toast

Reaction score
It was around $45 installed. Not cheap but wanted to try something other than the vaniman static protectors. They don't last more than a week, less if divesting a lot of e.max. Plus we always had to tape around the edges because it would start to peel. There is usually a kiosk at any mall selling it.

Cbite Dental Products

Cbite Dental Products

Reaction score
Hey guys, after posting a picture of my grinding box in another thread, I thought I would like to share a few other things that I have picked up that might come in handy to make life easier and save a bit of money too. I'd like to hear what you guys have come up with too.

My grinding box. It's a suggestion/ballot box I picked up from eBay. I just cut a hole in the front for the suction and holes rectangular holes in the sides for my arms.
View attachment 10948

Detol: I use this as a separating agent from my die stone to my base stone. Works really well and it's pretty cheap.
View attachment 10949

I love this little gadget! Just run your investment packet through it and it cuts like butter. No need for scissors or running a scalpel blade along your work bench.
View attachment 10950

I cut slits in the carpet to run my cords. I hate cords everywhere it just looks messy and can get in the way and the pedals pretty much stay put. You can always put some velcro on the pedals so it will stick to the carpet.
View attachment 10951
View attachment 10948 View attachment 10949 View attachment 10950 View attachment 10951

Nice tips! Thanks for sharing!

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Reaction score
When pouring up impressions use a small pointy instrument and slide it around the margins to make sure you always have perfect margins.
Yea, and be very carful. Even better use a nice new surgical blade. :/
Or a little plastic disposable brush.

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Reaction score
Careful...don't spill it!
What a toxic messy nightmare.
If someone knocked the drum over you would have to call 911 and ask for the fire department and hazmat.
FDNY took our 5 gallon propane tank away, i wonder what they would say about this.

Cbite Dental Products

Cbite Dental Products

Reaction score
What a great thread packed with all kinds of useful tips. Thanks for the info and photos.

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Reaction score
Order a few packs of these.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001KV38ES/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
And then...
Stickem to your shelf to hold some tools.
11738747236_7421eb479d.jpg

Drop one in the base former to keep your bottles from spilling. Works well when you have the steel bench top.
11738273393_08660d94bc.jpg

This lil magnet hasent fallen off yet, and I always know where my glasses are, they stick to everything.
11738292773_8eb3e18131.jpg

Crown box + 100 blades = Magnet on the outside = Never spill.
11738463904_25c5191768.jpg

Drop a magnet into a bottle of whatever and it sticks to anything without sliding down the shelf.
11738448594_98076b488e.jpg

The link on the top is exactly what I order.

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Reaction score
Adam Carolla has a segment called, "Do yourself a favor." Filled with tips likes these, not in a lab, but in your daily life.
So whenever I am laying in bed and I remember I need to remind myself something the next morning.
Grab a Shoe, Remote, whatever, and toss it into the corner of the room. Then when you wakup in the morning, your like, "Why is my X in the corner of the... oh yea!""
Another one.
Want to remember something, FOREVER.
Take a pic of it, write it down, do whatever, just email it to yourself. It will be in your hotmail inbox forever. Just remember the title of the email if you need to find it. Good for wifi passwords and such.

ps2thtec

ps2thtec

Donator
Reaction score
No more investment/die breaking when pressing implant crowns. Fill your ring to the margins, then with a tweezers place a wire in the wax unit, finish filling the press ring preferably without vibration.
The reinforcement keeps the investment die from breaking. Does not matter if wire is not straight in wax unit. Press does not stick or mess the margin.
image.jpg

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Reaction score
No more investment/die breaking when pressing implant crowns. Fill your ring to the margins, then with a tweezers place a wire in the wax unit, finish filling the press ring preferably without vibration.
The reinforcement keeps the investment die from breaking. Does not matter if wire is not straight in wax unit. Press does not stick or mess the margin.
View attachment 15318
Why does it matter if investment breaks? Of course you dont want it taking margins off your pressables. Thats why your to be very gentle on the PSI. I cant see any reason for doing this. Maybe you could explain a little better what your accomplishing here?