The new super trans. Zirc looks awesome,....but hmmmm.....

LA Ceramics

LA Ceramics

Reaction score
Has anyone else out there noticed something a little concerning about our new friend Super Zirc?
First of all let me say that I am human,..and humans will sometimes do some dumb stuff,........so,...

I was using a fine barrel diamond to do some super slow final marginal reduction (yea, I know, I know) on some of the new super duper zirc under the scope and I noticed some significant chipping occurring. Now I know that we would say of course that the diamond bur will chatter dumb dumb and cause chipping so choose something like a siliconized diamond impregnated whachamawhosit right?,...but what about Dr. Doofus. It's Zirconia after all and it has never been a problem before for him to go at it sparks-a-flying with whatever is handy as brutally as he likes and he loves it,..but now he's got this chipping thing happening!!!
Anybody have any thoughts? How should we best explain this difference to the good Doctor? Should we be concerned? Should he be?

Try it yourself just for the heck of it sometime,..forget about it being dumb for a minute and just look closely at how it chips so easily,..even more so than E-max is what I'm thinking!
OK,..now ,...so what do you think?

It just kinda makes me go Hmmmmmm

C

charles007

Reaction score
Got the correct answer, but it will cost you $$$
Increase your prices on these super duper high tran zirconia's, and give your account a free a polishing kit that doesn't have FG diamonds in the kit...
OK, what did I win for the best and only answer lol

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Increase your prices on these super duper high tran zirconia's, and give your account a free a polishing kit that doesn't have FG diamonds in the kit...
OK, what did I win for the best and only answer lol
A free polishing kit, as soon as you catch up on your 60 days overdue statement :) :)

LA Ceramics

LA Ceramics

Reaction score
OK, what did I win for the best and only answer lol[/QUOT

Thanks Charles,...but I don't think I will go that route and here's why,....

Jim, and those who want to be Jim, are doing that kinda s@#$ all day long without the price hike,..because they can.
They just mention the idea to the guys that they buy their abrasives from and they say " yeh,..I think we can do that for ya buddy"
I vote to keep your price the same and then educate and recommend.
IMHO buying supplies for people that earn in a day what I make in a week
is madness and sets up a bad precedent for future dealings ,...
......which brings us back to the questions concerning the properties/integrity of this new material...

How should we best explain this difference to the good Doctor? Should we be concerned? Should he be?

G

grantoz

Reaction score
When i 1st looked at super high trans i thought it was a game changer but i find in most cases just a really good prettau crown does the job, super high trans is good for about 1% of my cases .If the tooth underneath is pristine i will use it otherwise normal prettau is the winner.Lets face it how many pristine teeth do we restore.When i do use super ht i tell the dentist to treat it like emax ie be gentle.

BlakeHarting

BlakeHarting

Reaction score
The margins do tend to chip. I can get them to finish pretty well with a supercoarse rubber wheel. My metal polishing wheel that works perfectly on regular zi will actually crack them.

There's also a problem with pontics and thicker units. The dye won't penetrate deep enough into the zirconia leaving it way too light. That makes supertrans useless for bridges/screw-retained cases. Maybe someone else has a trick with that problem though...

Andrew Priddy

Andrew Priddy

Donator
Reaction score
FG med- fine diamond, no problems

RileyS

RileyS

Reaction score
Not 100% positive but I think it's the redberry from wagner? Smooths margins down perfect.
It did take me awhile to realize that my fine diamond bur was leaving white-ish "pock marks" when I'd surface the crown to adjust line angles. That was pretty annoying. Now I'm starting, or the honeymoon is over, to have problems with low value...like e.max HT.

LA Ceramics

LA Ceramics

Reaction score
The head honcho had to make a decision,...A painful farewell for now I'm afraid,..wasn't my call to make but I thought it wise for our scenario anyway. Ouch Bawling

RileyS

RileyS

Reaction score
You're going to say goodbye to super trans Zr?

LA Ceramics

LA Ceramics

Reaction score
You're going to say goodbye to super trans Zr?

Such was the decree. Personally, I can see strong advantages, especially if you have a smallish lab able to use a more "personal relationship" type approach with Drs. who want to take the time to learn.
If however your standing at the plate trying to hit fastballs all day you can't just swing at anything. You gotta get walks,..3 strikes and,...well ,..you know what I mean......