Sum3D

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
Just realized there was the option to program in tool wear alerts!? I had no idea Sum3D had that option yet? Awesome!

Finally went deeper into the settings. This is extremely configurable software.... Working on strategies some more now. Tons of options:)

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
Trying to figure a way to keep that carbide .6mm away from my margins during the internal rest mill stage. Pencil milling. It just hits a spot or two around every margin.... I'm worried that could cause minor chipping? I'm using diamonds everywhere else..

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Reaction score
There isn't anything Sum3d cant do. It will even let your mill commit suicide if that was your wish.

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
You can add offset distance to the delimitation curve of the margin? (Try a Negative value, if not....try a positive value. I forgot what does what.)

There is a newish tool-life counter in recent versions for Roland users...

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
Just define a delimiter curve in your strategy....I'd pick the inside of the double margin line. AFAIK you can set how close the bur to pass...

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
Thanks guys;) ill give it a shot!

M

macminn

Reaction score
Jason,
How can I put the tool alert in my machine?

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
I had to set it up in the tool room area. When you input a tool to be used in Sum3D it gives you the option now to a input an hourly or number of millimeters of movement based ticker. But!, I cannot seem to find the actual wear level of the tools. I'll get back to you when I find out how.

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Reaction score
I had to set it up in the tool room area. When you input a tool to be used in Sum3D it gives you the option now to a input an hourly or number of millimeters of movement based ticker. But!, I cannot seem to find the actual wear level of the tools. I'll get back to you when I find out how.
I wouldn't bother with that. Just replace the burs when you know it's time. The first sign is the offset around the margin will have chips. Otherwise, you may throw away burs that still have plenty of life in them. I've seen burs go 50 units pass their lifespan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
Just switched to isi carbides. So far they are rockin right along;) beautiful units.

P

primus

Banned
Reaction score
You need recent 2013 version of sum for Roland tool wear thingy. You have?

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
You need recent 2013 version of sum for Roland tool wear thingy. You have?
I have it. Programmed in the hours in the tool room for each bur. nothing seems to be happening though? I do not see a counter anywhere etc.?

P

primus

Banned
Reaction score
You need to enter all time values I think Jason. Go to Machine and edit.....

There is time value for tool change (just put 30 sec) and maybe a couple more time parameters to "fill-in" for the calculations to have all necessary data to compute the estimated milling time and tool life. You have to have something in each field in order for this feature to work.

Maybe time for flip of workpiece? ?? 2-4 Sec.

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
Thanks Scott! I wondered about that. It has spots for distance traveled too... I will have to calculate that based on time and feed rates of each step? Yikes...

P

primus

Banned
Reaction score
I will ask more about the specifics of what is necessary (at minimum) to get the tool thingy working....

Top Bottom