Straumann

shane williams

shane williams

Reaction score
So I decided to swing in the Straumann booth and see what's up this weekend. My former "Ekton/Straumann/Cares" rep who is or isn't my rep now(very confussing e-mail that he knew nothing about) told me after I said that "I'm rocking and rolling on my old ES1 scanner" that I need to upgrade to the new CS2. Because of the new things that Straumann is coming out with. One being the 'Vario' a two piece abutment, ti insert with zr glued to it. It took everything for me to not laugh. I seem to remember years ago being told from Straumann "why would you want an abutment glued together? It wouldn't be as strong as a solid zr abutment. I'm finding this extremely funny since I was also told that they would offer a one piece zr RN abutment, and that never happend. So since they never produced a one piece RN zr abutment, and labs and dr's were getting tired of screwing in a synocta, then placing the abutment on top and screwing that onto the synocta, they came out with this option. Something that if you wanted to purchase a temparary cylinder, finish it down, and design on top of that, you can already do. I'm wondering if these ti inserts will be availble for purchase? but being that they are Straumann i'm sure they will cost either an arm and a leg, or your first born!!

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
Yeah they have always preached from a high soap box and now they are contradicting what every other manufacturer is doing as far as hybrid abutments.

I have done so may Procera abutments on strauman fixtures with not one issue.

So did you enjoy Chicago?

shane williams

shane williams

Reaction score
Yeah they have always preached from a high soap box and now they are contradicting what every other manufacturer is doing as far as hybrid abutments.

I have done so may Procera abutments on strauman fixtures with not one issue.

So did you enjoy Chicago?

I always enjoy Chicago. It's always cool seeing new things, and different tecniques. Not to mention put a face to some of the people that I get to talk to on here. How bout you John did you go and did you have a good time?

kimba

kimba

Reaction score
Hi all,

This is my first reply but I have been crusing this site for a few weeks now and this thread really struck a cord. This seems to be typical of implant companies in general. They will put down other ways of thinking outside the box they have created as inferior, untill they have developed a way they can doit themselves and then sell it (often to clinicians ) as the brand new thing. Not just straumann, Nobel biocare did it for years in regards coloured zr copings. "colouring makes them weaker " was the company line untill surprise surprise they started to do it.
Its funny that John mentions procera abutments on straumann fixtures. Talk to Straumann and doing this will void the implant warranty ,but they will provide you with straumann abutments via the etcon scanner for other companis fixtures!! just a touch hypocritical . But then again I think nobel biocare would say the same thing in reverse.
Similarly , about 2 years ago I started experiencing gold flashing over the fitting surface of synocta cylinders after years of no problems at all. When I contacted the rep " no ,your the only one " causing me much anxiety about myself until I speak to others having the exact same problem and when I look back in the past in this site I find it was a problem in the rest of the world as well!!! But nooo company line is you are the only one.

Sorry this became a bit of a rant but I feel better to have it off my chest in a forum that I think will understand

shane williams

shane williams

Reaction score
Well Kimba welcome to DLN. Nothing wrong with a good rant. I've always prided myself on using an Etkon abutment when it's a Straumann case, but what kinda strikes a cord is when you go to a cad cam symposium and a manager from Straumann gets up and enfatically says that Etkon, the company which you bought to produce custom abutments no longer exists and kinda throws them aside. That kinda pissed me off. Plus they've gone through like 6 reps for us. They try to get us to "upgrade" to the CS2 which is a joke. I no longer get any support with my ES1 but I can still do all Straumann abutments with it, not to mention I no a lab that has gone through 12 of those scanners!!! They went cheap on the scanner, took the software that Etkon designed and didn't really change much but call it CS2. I enjoyed Etkon when we first started scanning. I'm not a big fan of companies using scare tactics on labs using "void warrenty" unless you use there abutments, then turn around and offer other companies abutments.

You're right feels good getting stuff off your chest! With all the crap they are pulling now, I don't see a shortage of people on here with there own rants! This could be just as long as Al's 'restouration du joir' thread!! Haha

lcmlabforum

lcmlabforum

Reaction score
So anyone had anything else to say on the Vario - any failures reported so far?
I know that zirconia may abrade the implants, and there is a chance of failures at the
connection.
How is the Vario doing so far? Does STraumann bond it or we do?
LCM