Smart Optics 880 scanner

Drizzt

Drizzt

Reaction score
Hi everybody .

Anybody that has any working experience with Smart Optics 880 scanner ? I am looking at buying a scanner that works with Exocad , and this is of many . Any other recommendations about scanners would be welcome . Thanks .

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
I have an activity 101 that has broken Texas Instruments DLP gizmo.

I'm too lazy to fix it.

It had too many data voids to be considered one of my favorite scanners. (If it worked)

Maybe the new ones are better? I couldn't tell ya.

Drizzt

Drizzt

Reaction score
Thanks Scott . I will have a demonstration of the scanner in the next two weeks . I will let you know . How does the Sinerga scanner of yours work for you ? Are you happy with it ? Maybe I will fly to Italy and see it in action .

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Same issue with data voids, but it does scan large objects well, and Implant locators (Bars&Bridges),and any full-arch cases on big articulators.

I may do my die scanning on another scanner, then back to the italian unit.

It is nice to have many scanners to use the best of each, but not all can do that.

I wish the scanners had stationary table, and the actual scan-head rotated and spins around the object.

I would like to ask SteinBichler about doing this with the Comet 5 and a Robot arm, or ??

Sounds crazy huh?

Drizzt

Drizzt

Reaction score
Can't tell you if it sounds crazy!!

Maybe in 6 months you will do that !!!

Would you recommend it to me ? I am having some money coming , and I want to replace my 5 series Dental Wings scanner (I don't like the designing software of it and it crashes too often ) with something else , something that works with exocad .

Imes Icore started offering Smart Optics
http://www.imes-icore.de/branchen/page.php?id=118&title=exocad+++smart+optics

I don't think they would do that if it was crap .

Last edited:
ice_pascu

ice_pascu

Reaction score
and I want to replace my 5 series Dental Wings scanner (I don't like the designing software of it and it crashes too often )
Are you going to sell the 5 series?

C

charles007

Reaction score
Smart Optics scanners are fine, I know a highly respected tech with the older model 101 and loves it.. Do yourself a favor and do demo's seeing models scanned with several brands of scanners, time the scans, and watch for voids and extra scans needed...

Drizzt

Drizzt

Reaction score
Smart Optics scanners are fine, I know a highly respected tech with the older model 101 and loves it.. Do yourself a favor and do demo's seeing models scanned with several brands of scanners, time the scans, and watch for voids and extra scans needed...

This is exactly what I am going to do . Most likely next week or the week after that I will go to the Greek dealer's office and have a demonstration of the scanner .

C

charles007

Reaction score
Another way is using Teamviewer, Go To Meeting etc if you can't get a hands-on demo to see other brands of scanners..This same friend suggested I buy the 101 to save on the cost over the newer 800 series models.. Not suggesting that !

Edit check out the Zubler scanner ,, maybe cheaper ? it has Exocad also

Y

YMS96

Reaction score

101 is slow as sh!t. We have 3 of these sitting around here collecting dust. Why not use your DW to scan and then design in 3Shape (since you say you don't like the DW design software)?

Drizzt

Drizzt

Reaction score
101 is slow as sh!t. We have 3 of these sitting around here collecting dust. Why not use your DW to scan and then design in 3Shape (since you say you don't like the DW design software)?

The truth is I haven't seen in detail the 3shape system . Maybe it is because I fell in love with Exocad at the first sight , but mostly because I don't want to pay 1500 euros/year to anyone . It is not entirely about the amount of money ,it is not that much , but it is more that I don't want any ''pimps'' over my head . Everybody else leave you free to choose if you want to upgrade or not , why 3shape doesn't ? Anyway , I am looking at a complete system that works with exocad because I want to start designing abutments , and I don't think I will be able to do that if I combine my scanner with another Cad software . Nicely MV has already shown me that my scan data can be imported and work with exocad with no problems at all . It is the whole abutment designing that bothers me .

Drizzt

Drizzt

Reaction score
Another way is using Teamviewer, Go To Meeting etc if you can't get a hands-on demo to see other brands of scanners..This same friend suggested I buy the 101 to save on the cost over the newer 800 series models.. Not suggesting that !

Edit check out the Zubler scanner ,, maybe cheaper ? it has Exocad also

Can you send me a link ? I can't find it through google .

EJADA

EJADA

Reaction score
I was told by Luigi that he can sell stand alone Exocad. About 8 grand usd then import file to exocad for designing.
Just an idea.

Drizzt

Drizzt

Reaction score
I was told by Luigi that he can sell stand alone Exocad. About 8 grand usd then import file to exocad for designing.
Just an idea.

I have found it for 3500 euros plus vat . As I was saying above , the thing that concerns me is about abutment designing . I don't think that my scanner can work along exocad and design abutments . Thanks anyway .

Drizzt

Drizzt

Reaction score
@paulg100 and Affinity

There is one company here in Greece that is the dealer for the Identica scanner . I asked them about Exocad and they offered it for 3.900 euros . They told me that the price they have told me (3.500 euros) was an old one .

AltreX

AltreX

Reaction score
also for bar designer? I am searching for exocad bar designer. Cheaper - better :D