SLM copings

user name

user name

Reaction score
I don't like hearing things like 'dirty' with alloys. I don't like silver either though. You know that printed multilayered opacious dentins, filler value based mass dentin and select opal enamels are right around the corner. Instead of carving teeth, they'll either be printed or grown. I hope my frames don't show up dirty. I don't like the idea of having to do a heavier 1st opaque to block oxide formation. How about setting the porcelain oven in a cabinet with argon atmosphere. No metal oxides. eh?

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Chrome cobalt is a dirty black when it oxidizes.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
I don't like hearing things like 'dirty' with alloys. I don't like silver either though. You know that printed multilayered opacious dentins, filler value based mass dentin and select opal enamels are right around the corner. Instead of carving teeth, they'll either be printed or grown. I hope my frames don't show up dirty. I don't like the idea of having to do a heavier 1st opaque to block oxide formation. How about setting the porcelain oven in a cabinet with argon atmosphere. No metal oxides. eh?

Oxide layer is necessary for chemical bond of opaque to metal.

user name

user name

Reaction score
Oxide layer is necessary for chemical bond of opaque to metal.
I realize that, but these slm's sound excessive. Argen says after degassing, sandblast and apply a 'heavy' layer of opaque to mask the metal enough to prevent continuing oxide formation. Im cautiously curious to get them back and give it a try.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
Sorry User, didn't realize that was a trait of SLM copings.
Got a link to more info on the subject?

user name

user name

Reaction score
Sorry, I don't. I just watched a webinar from Argen. It was 45 minutes, but could easily have conveyed all the info in less than 10 minutes.

Al.

Al.

Reaction score
Very interesting the trend for labs to outsource metal frames.

CreDes

CreDes

Reaction score
I have started using Argen for NP, N, and HN. I have liked the results. I have a D900, but about a year ago I used a Sirona Blue scanner and those frameworks fit well also.

eyeloveteeth

eyeloveteeth

Reaction score
ok imagine this - you have now literally a coping of 100% alloy. There is no oxide layer inbetween as there would be during traditional casting. Well, the only options of degasing are now going to be on the surfaces. now add in a finicky metal like Argen NF, and it's going to look "dirty".

We use spray opaque and have never had an issue of metal showing through. If anything, because of how thin I can make this, I am getting adequate porcelain coverage without sacrificing thickness.