Help needed for Denture ID from 1972 forensic cold case.

A

Acrylicwookie

Reaction score
Got a call from a cold case detective attempting to ID a John Doe case from 1972 on the Oregon Coast. Full set of dentures with ID in them that was typed with a type writer. ID has 51214/66 or S1214/66. Date of death could have been anywhere between 1966 to 1972. They are attempting to figure out what the ID means - (like if someone recognizes the format, like if it is date of birth, or case number with year etc) and if by some stroke of luck someone knows the name of a lab that they could have been made in (if it is a unique ID) and then by some miracle there is still a log with names available. Any help would be appreciated !

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Doubt this would be helpful, but my suspicion would be the first four numbers is the mould S1 214 and the 66 is surely the shade. It's not an identification, it's the mould and shade of teeth used.

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
The person(s) of interest are prolly gone by now...

A

Acrylicwookie

Reaction score
Doubt this would be helpful, but my suspicion would be the first four numbers is the mould S1 214 and the 66 is surely the shade. It's not an identification, it's the mould and shade of teeth used.
Do you happen to know the brand that would have used this numbering system back then? I'd like to be 100% before I break the bad news to them. Thank you!

A

Acrylicwookie

Reaction score
The person(s) of interest are prolly gone by now...
True, but you never know ;) I think it is more to bring closure to a family somewhere vs find the suspect. But crazier things have happened.

A

Acrylicwookie

Reaction score
Found it...New Hue used that numbering system back then. Thank you @TheLabGuy for the awesome tip. The investigator is really happy actually. And just FYI, you are the only person that has been involved in this particular unsolved case since 1972 to crack those numbers on the dentures. Most apparently thought it was some type of unique patient identifier. If it leads to some great discovery I will be sure to put you guys in touch so you can get the proper credit.

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
Found it...New Hue used that numbering system back then. Thank you @TheLabGuy for the awesome tip. The investigator is really happy actually. And just FYI, you are the only person that has been involved in this particular unsolved case since 1972 to crack those numbers on the dentures. Most apparently thought it was some type of unique patient identifier. If it leads to some great discovery I will be sure to put you guys in touch so you can get the proper credit.
Not to laugh, but how was this not figured out before? in 50 years... Why are resources still being put out for a 50 year old case?

A

Acrylicwookie

Reaction score
Not to laugh, but how was this not figured out before? in 50 years... Why are resources still being put out for a 50 year old case?
Yeah, I laughed too when I realized how simple it was. She was sure floored and excited someone figured it out though! When she told me they had a possible date of manufacture on the dentures my brain instantly saw 66 as the year they were made since that was also close to the year of disappearance and the other number a patient ID.. Oh the power of suggestion….They also were calling offices to ask so I bet no modern day dentists even know those numbering systems or shades.
There are actually grants that have been given out to law enforcement agencies to clear John/Jane Doe cases.. Typically they are staffed by volunteers or retired officers.

M

Manikandan

Reaction score
Ah Mazing

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Cool deal, no credit needed please. I mean, it wasn't like it solved the case, all it did was give the information to replace the teeth in an old denture but if it helps them, good deal.

Doris A

Doris A

Solutions
Reaction score
If it was a cold case of someone in your family, wouldn't you want them to keep trying to find out what happened to them? No matter how long ago they went missing.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
knowing that, they may reach out to New Hue to see if they have records of clients purchases, get some idea of what denturists may have manufactured the denture.

then filter by those active in the 64-74 decade, and if models still exist (unlikely) try to match fit

other wise, dig up medical records for persons matching john/jane

Top Bottom