Shortage of Valplast

Chiolo

Chiolo

Reaction score
News says Densply had a fire at the raw material plant that is used in valplast. How about the situation now? :confused:

PCDL

PCDL

Reaction score
Yup, it was, from what I heard, a nylon base supplier. It will affect the FRS material as well. Not sure how long, but they were also running a sale on cartridges, so I stocked up.

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
You are smart! I have been waiting on my Valplast order for over 10 days and its not looking good, I had to order some TCS just to be safe.

Chiolo

Chiolo

Reaction score
TCS or Valplast. Which one is more popular in America?

AJEL

AJEL

Reaction score
I think you are refering to A fire broke out at Evonik Industries' Marl Chemicals Park in Germany on March 31 that is disrupting supply of a key raw material used in the production of polyamide 12 (PA12). The fire caused two fatalities. As yet, Evonik does not have any indication as to the full extent of the damage. While Evonik does expect substantial constraints with respect to their ability to provide supplies of Cyclododecatriene (CDT) CDT-based products, Evonik is nonetheless confident that they will be able to provide alternative solutions in the form of substitutes such as Vestamid Terra. The FDA hasn't approved the substitution formula, for those old dental nylon products. IAt the present state of knowledge, the CDT plant is expected to be operational again in the fourth quarter of 2012. The regulatory authorities are still investigating the cause of the accident.
contact for more information [email protected]
article in http://www.plasticstoday.com/articles/fire-impacts-supply-specialty-polyamides-biopolymers-rescue-20120409a

interesting article on the medical priorityof CDT used in heart valves & stents.
http://www.plasticstoday.com/articles/life-saving-medical-applications-get-priority-elastomer-force-majeure0516201201

Last edited:
CYNOSURER

CYNOSURER

Can't reMember
Reaction score
I'm confused.

Dentsply doesn't make Valplast.

Valplast is made in the USA.

And I've had no problem getting it from Nowak.

???

Nowakdental

Nowakdental

Reaction score
Valplast is quickly running out across the country we are out of all Standard Pink shade currently we have some light pink left but that is all. TCS is stocked up pretty well here. The only flexible I have seen that this will not effect is the Duraflex from CDM since this product doesn't use the PA12 material.

P

phyllis

Reaction score
I have called every supplier around. All I can find is
1pkg of the white medium. Rumor has it that you might be
able to get a limited shipment from Valplast themselves.
We are trying.....

H

helga

Reaction score
You will now.I talked to them again today ( My shipment is at Canadian Customs since 25.07 yup you are seeing right wondering what they are doing with it.? Anyway as of today
apparently no one has any color or size in Valplast left and they don't know when they are being able of restocking either.Not looking good right now.

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
We switched to TCS because we had to its working very similar to Valplast, just sucks having to make the calls to our clients to inform them and ask for new RX asking for TCS.

P

phyllis

Reaction score
Well..somehow some way...we managed to get one package of large standard from Valplast shipped directly from them. but that won't last long.:rolleyes:

I

Inna-Hurry

Reaction score
Is the shortage over????
Thanks!

AJEL

AJEL

Reaction score
The plant that makes polyamide 12, has had much repaired, but they are looking to open a plant in Singapore in 2014. I had read an article but don't seem to find it now about their prepairing for inspections prior to start-up. The shortage kind of depends on resupply of PA12.
LONDON (ICIS)--Evonik hopes to fully repair its cyclododecatriene (CDT) plant at*Marl*chemical park nearDuisburg,*Germany, by December
Evonik hopes to repair damaged CDT plant by December
German chemicals giant, Evonik Industries, says it is on track to restart production of its Nylon 12 resin at some point during the fourth quarter.
Evonik on track to restart Nylon 12 in Q4
Evonik’s new polyamide 12 line is planned to be built in Singapore by 2014 to increase the availability of this specialty plastic
Evonik’s new polyamide 12 line is planned to be built in Singapore by 2014 to increase the availability of this specialty plastic - Evonik Industries - Specialty Chemicals
In North America, nylon 12 compounds are made by Arkema at a plant in Pennsylvania, while EMS-Grivory produces nylon 12 resins and compounds in South Carolina. If the EPA wasn't a challenge the USA could move into the void. It seems that Singapore will probabily get that with the current administration.
European Plastics News - News

P

phyllis

Reaction score
:confused: So....has anybody heard any more info on when valplast
might be shipping out orders??? I tried writing them directly. They said I would receive some info within 24 hours....rightpopcorn..haven't heard a word. that was a week ago

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
We are still waiting, we have been using TCS in the mean time which has been working fine, the biggest head ache is calling the clients and getting new RX forms with the right name on it.

So surprising that there is not a contingency plan for an event like this.

jimi

jimi

Reaction score
Distributor i buy from has a supply now, thanks God, but i have a strict quota of 15 tubes per month.

Vazone

Vazone

Reaction score
Valplast? What for? I don't like that material, deflex and vertex is much much better!

AJEL

AJEL

Reaction score
Valplast? What for? I don't like that material, deflex and vertex is much much better!
Valzone is Ukrainian those are not FDA approved materials, nearest distributor when he mentioned it before I looked for was in Chile.