Screw Retained Crowns?

tagarwaldds

tagarwaldds

Reaction score
i can tell you from personal experience of having done literally hundreds of screw retained emax combination abutment/crowns.... they work extremely well! it is my implant restoration of choice - of course, it depends on having pretty good implant placement!

BobCDT

BobCDT

Reaction score
Corona,
When we met with many of the engineers of companies that produce zirconia they all pretty much agreed that this is what happens. After 5 years there is no additional strength degradation.
Is this something to be concerned about? Well, most zirconia blocks are about 1200MPa flexural strength. After 5 years this becomes about 600. e.amx at 400MPa and holding up very well. In conclusion, after 5 years zirconia is 50% stronger than e.max. Absolutely no concern with single units. I think we should be over engineering bridges and related connectors. Don't do long spans with multiple consecutive pontics on short teeth. If we follow these rules I am confident we are good to go. In addition, we have way more than five years of clinical cases and I am not seeing zirconia breakage.

shane williams

shane williams

Reaction score
I think it really depends on the design of the connection of the implant. When you look at an Astra zr abutment, the connection is paper thin. We've been involved with studies of Astra implants, and during these I've seen a number of them fracture at the connection level. When you compare them with Straumanns Bone Level implant, the connector is much more robust. I believe we have done some Straumann screw retained zr abutments with the bone level implants and haven't had any failures. I believe the thicker you can make the implant, especially where a ti screw will be torqued onto it, helps out a lot. With all that being said, my preference is to do a hybrid. The best selling point to the doc being that they are torqueing ti screw to a ti interface. If they have doubts about the zr cementing to the incert ask them if they have ever done a solid abutment and cemented a zr crown to it? The only hurdle in the way of hybrids abutments really taking hold, is the implant companies that are telling docs that this will void any warranty. I remember when we first got our Etkon scanner, went to Arlington for training the Straumann reps were all "why would anyone want to GLUE zr to ti" now look, they are offering the same thing. This is I feel a better solution, a stronger solution for the long run.

P

paulg100

Reaction score
Bob is spot on.

Ive seen many presentations on ZR, generally it looses around 50% of strength in first 5 years then stabilizes. I think due to hydrothermal ageing.

This applies to other all-ceramic as well like emax i think.

Another very good reason why your docs should be bonding emax.. not cementing.

and as with others, no all zr interfaces for me. Many reports of fractures. Wear against the TI, which is why crown should be removed after a few weeks to re-torque to allow for the bedding in period of the micro irregularities on the Zr to the TI. Most docs dont want this hassle so they dont do it, or dont realize they should be doing it, so end up with an incorrectly torqued restoration.

Best to just go with a ti interface and get the best of both worlds.

E

edwarddental

Reaction score
Now, I have question . We all see down sides of all zirconium implant abutments/ crowns . But what about hybrid abutments / crowns ? just say we maid one , send to doctor . Doctor send back to add to the contact or occlusal and now what ? Now we have to take everything on parts. Not perfect restoration also.

I will stay with all zirconium, a specially , if I get this product from original manufacture or Atlantis and will have warranty.

A specially if my doctors whats original parts . Or just do a PFM type implant with the original parts

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
It takes a quick fire on about 600 C to burn the glue out... quite easy to take apart. ..

BobCDT

BobCDT

Reaction score
We do screw retain FZ all the time. No problem separating the parts and re cementing as needed.

A

Apple

Reaction score
Hi,

We have been doing FCZ screw retained with Ti base with Core3dcentres more than a year now and no issues so far. We asked for direct zircoania wothout the base and they do not recommend due to fracturing and breakage as well.

DarrenS

DarrenS

Reaction score
All of our implant cases are BONDED to the Ti base extra orally. Then screw it in all one piece. That is with e.Max to Ti. Docs that cement cases on to abutments in the mouth are making a huge mistake. In about ten years they will fail. You will never get all the cement out from under that crown. We've been doing it for two years in-house for our docs. Back to the subject, (adhd) zirconia is no longer used in our practice for anything. It becomes too brittle for our personal preference. Have had no issues with the technique we use with e.Max. But, I'm lucky I have 30 days to do a case.

By the way, I need help posting pics here. I've got many cases documented for the lectures I will be giving.

DarrenS

DarrenS

Reaction score
That's just my docs opinion. He really just doesn't like the way it looks I think.

BobCDT

BobCDT

Reaction score
I've been around for decades. never ever heard anyone speak about Brittleness of any dental ceramic product.
Brittle as it is defined is:
Adjective, Hard but liable to break or shatter easily.
Respectfully, any thinking that zirconia is brittle is ridiculous.
We produced a video a few years ago. I think it proves the point.
To watch this video go to the bottom of this web page:
CAP FZ – Full Contour Zirconia | Custom Automated Prosthetics

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
That's just my docs opinion. He really just doesn't like the way it looks I think.

You made it sound like it was your opinion as well when you said we and our.

Will you be using those words in your lectures?

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
Something is ASKEW, oh yeah go google that word and see that google has a sense of humor