scanner in a dentist office

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
Do you think this is an acceptable scan where you can see the margin clearly Untitled.png

Jake Dobbins

Jake Dobbins

Reaction score
Hey John! No I do not! My Bluecam with powder did a much better job. I could definitely see my margins. I just scanned this right quick with the CS3600 for practice.

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
I'm not a dentist nor do I claim to know all the chairside struggles.

A case like this where it is obvious you can not control the field let alone pack enough cord to get any retraction why not just temporize send them away until you get the tissue under control and then scan the case?

Never understood the rush to prep and restore when the perio is such a mess let alone the need to cauterize the hell out of it.

But what the hell do I know. love to see what you were able to do with the blue cam. I am on cerec connect you can send me the file :)

Jake Dobbins

Jake Dobbins

Reaction score
For clarification, there's a #2 cord in the sulcus on the scan. I'm not too impressed either! Like I said, it was deep! Little old lady just wanted me to save her tooth. Margins on A4 eMax LT were good....look at the radiograph. But this is why I'm presenting this info.....CS3600 may not be the best choice for some of you. Just reporting....you decide.

Jake Dobbins

Jake Dobbins

Reaction score
I'm not a dentist nor do I claim to know all the chairside struggles.

A case like this where it is obvious you can not control the field let alone pack enough cord to get any retraction why not just temporize send them away until you get the tissue under control and then scan the case?

Never understood the rush to prep and restore when the perio is such a mess let alone the need to cauterize the hell out of it.

But what the hell do I know. love to see what you were able to do with the blue cam. I am on cerec connect you can send me the file :)
I hear ya John! Actually, it would have probably been better, but you'll be surprised what the diode laser will accomplish. And......patients don't want to come back again. It's a struggle.

vurban210

vurban210

Reaction score
I hear ya John! Actually, it would have probably been better, but you'll be surprised what the diode laser will accomplish. And......patients don't want to come back again. It's a struggle.

Is it that they do not want to come back, or is it that they have not been given the pertinent info and the option? I only ask because of experience and talking to patients. 90% of the time I will mention something similar to what John said and they will usually reply that they did not know they had that choice. Most people look at a crown like it will be for a lifetime, so why are they trying to cheat a couple of weeks if it can be done better but take a little longer.

This is not at all directed at you, but I just find that most docs don't realize how much patients really are willing to listen.

Jake Dobbins

Jake Dobbins

Reaction score
Is it that they do not want to come back, or is it that they have not been given the pertinent info and the option? I only ask because of experience and talking to patients. 90% of the time I will mention something similar to what John said and they will usually reply that they did not know they had that choice. Most people look at a crown like it will be for a lifetime, so why are they trying to cheat a couple of weeks if it can be done better but take a little longer.

This is not at all directed at you, but I just find that most docs don't realize how much patients really are willing to listen.
I understand it's not directed at me. I get it. NO offense taken!

A good analogy is going back in a second time for surgery. If you can acquire a good margin the first time, why go back a second time. Wearing a leaking temporary for two weeks does nothing but allow bacteria to migrate into the dentinal tubules, causing all sorts of problems, including sensitivity. Now, if I could not have acquired good margins, I would have temporized the best I could, and tried again in two weeks. Most of the time, the diode laser allows you to control the soft tissue and get your margin. It's actually used in periodontally involved cases to help control periodontitis.

This case is a good one to see. It really challenges a scanner, especially one that uses no powder. I'm not hiding anything. I probably could have pulled the #2 cord and scanned with the CS3600 and got a lot better model, but I was pushing the schedule fellers. This was my very first scan on a patient. We'll see with time what the scanner can do. I knew people were waiting to see some scans, and was trying to decide on whether to buy or not.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
It's hard to tell from a black and white scan if there is a cord there.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
I like to be able to toggle back and forth between colour and mono when I mark a margin.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
well, its not the worst first case ive seen. theres hope.

margins are more or less visible. just remember to control moisture and keep the margin exposed. some trios users have the pt gently bite on a piece of cotton or gauze for 4 or 5 minutes so that everyone can sit down and catch their breath before proceeding. this will help you to not be in as much rush and you can go over the prep again once the gauze is removed with a fresh pair of eyes. maybe catch an undercut, or see what kind of a mess was made with the margin.

point is, take 5, relax, dont put so much pressure on yourself, and keep it calm.

in those 5 minutes you'll have a chance to think what you can do, the assistant has 5 minutes to clean stuff, and your patient gets some time to breathe.

maybe pack a second cord, just enough to create a gap wide enough to be recognized by the scanner. an instant ditch. maybe its fine and you just rushed the scan. try it again. what can it hurt.

maybe take 5 minutes to prep some blue mousse to take a tiny impression of just the prep, margin and all, so you can compare with your model print.

whatever floats your goat.

you came this far didn't you?

Jake Dobbins

Jake Dobbins

Reaction score
Luke....all good suggestions! I'll try to give y'all a better scan next time! Like I said, this was pushing the limits on ALL scanners.
As always, appreciate the input! Take care!

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
asti tabernak

somebody order the quebec pizza?

it is a poptart with the ketchup. she's good.

Top Bottom