Same Day Services?

MikeyDue

MikeyDue

Reaction score
How many Denture Labs are still doing same day repairs and relines? We have an in by 10am back by 4 pm policy.
Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one in my area still doing that and we get so many on some days that every one here has to stop production on our new cases to turn the same days around on time.
I've been in the business long enough to know that we will have days like that but it isn't cost effective after I add the days overhead up.
I'm jumping over dollars to pick up pennys.
Anyone else?

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
How many Denture Labs are still doing same day repairs and relines? We have an in by 10am back by 4 pm policy.
Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one in my area still doing that and we get so many on some days that every one here has to stop production on our new cases to turn the same days around on time.
I've been in the business long enough to know that we will have days like that but it isn't cost effective after I add the days overhead up.
Anyone else?
I do them, sometimes I'm here late to get the rest done, but nobody want to eat dinner without their denture and the offices are generally pretty good about it, some saying these are more important and they'll move a 'normal' case if I need so they can keep the fast patient happy.

If I'm honest, I stink at time managment and that contributes to me being here late a lot too. Pour the models and forget to mount them for hours after I could have.

droberts

droberts

Reaction score
All relines scheduled. Repairs, depends on the complexity.

Doris A

Doris A

Solutions
Reaction score
Relines in by 10 out by 4, we do ask for the offices to let us know in advance, but it rarely happens. Repairs, it depends on what time of day we get them and how complex of a repair it is, but usually one day.

X

XxJamesAxX

Reaction score
We ask for a heads up and most offices provide it for relines, repairs they don’t usually know themselves when there gonna pop in.

Same policy though, in by 10 out by 5.

Only thing different here then most is I actually like getting them. To me there quick easy money. Our average charge is over $100 including the same day fee. Relines obviously take a little more labor but repairs and adding teeth is easy money imo... Virtually no material cost is another bonus.

I am fortunate to have multiple techs capable of doing any same day so we can always spread them around to who ever has the most time available that day. But overall we are happy to provide the service to our accounts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MikeyDue

MikeyDue

Reaction score
I don't mind the repairs or relines. They are not hard and I actually enjoy the challenge of a more complex repair but it tends to be a "when it rains it pours" situation. I've already made commitments to deliver new cases on time and then 15 same days come in.
Sounds like I'm not charging enough.
$92 for a simple repair.
$155 for full reline.
No additional costs for same day.
Am I on the low end price wise?

Doris A

Doris A

Solutions
Reaction score
Every lab I've ever worked in, including my own, Tuesday and Thursday are the busiest repair and reline days.

MikeyDue

MikeyDue

Reaction score
Mondays through Wednesdays are the busiest for us and I have an experienced repair guy (75 years old) come in to help and even he can't believe the amount of piece of trash repairs that we get all at once.
My accounts do not know how to sell new cases obviously.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Mondays through Wednesdays are the busiest for us and I have an experienced repair guy (75 years old) come in to help and even he can't believe the amount of piece of trash repairs that we get all at once.
My accounts do not know how to sell new cases obviously.
It could be that you have gotten a reputation of being able to handle anything, no matter how odd, you'll make it work.

MikeyDue

MikeyDue

Reaction score
Yeah. I've been told by older techs that the repairs I do look a lot nicer than when they came in.
I should adopt a crap in crap out policy.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Yeah. I've been told by older techs that the repairs I do look a lot nicer than when they came in.
I should adopt a crap in crap out policy.
Keep your honor, raise prices if you like, but keep your honor sacrosanct. It's not always intentional lack of care, dexterity goes through the floor for many of our patients.

Jason D

Jason D

Reaction score
I don't mind the repairs or relines. They are not hard and I actually enjoy the challenge of a more complex repair but it tends to be a "when it rains it pours" situation. I've already made commitments to deliver new cases on time and then 15 same days come in.
Sounds like I'm not charging enough.
$92 for a simple repair.
$155 for full reline.
No additional costs for same day.
Am I on the low end price wise?
Depends on your region but that’s pretty high for Florida. If handled well repairs should be your most profitable work in the lab! Just have to work on logistics till it’s something you are thrilled to see every day.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Anyone else?
I've been struggling with this lately as well....exactly the same situation. I'm seriously considering making a new rule for our lab and sending it out in letter form at the beginning of next month. The letter will state something like this...Please be advised, due to all the rush cases in our lab, we are forced to make some changes to ensure our quality and timely delivery meets yours/ours standards. Therefore, if you aren't a Dentist of record (office must do $1,000 in sales/month) then we cannot accept any same-day repairs or relines. If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact us.

That way, the local chumps who send their sht overseas or to the Costa Rican connection won't inhibit us from working on Docs who actually care about what gets done in this country. Maybe I'm wrong, and I'm sure I'll get some nasty phone calls, but your right, it's like jumping over dollars to pick up pennys on these type of cases.

X

XxJamesAxX

Reaction score
I've been struggling with this lately as well....exactly the same situation. I'm seriously considering making a new rule for our lab and sending it out in letter form at the beginning of next month. The letter will state something like this...Please be advised, due to all the rush cases in our lab, we are forced to make some changes to ensure our quality and timely delivery meets yours/ours standards. Therefore, if you aren't a Dentist of record (office must do $1,000 in sales/month) then we cannot accept any same-day repairs or relines. If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact us.

That way, the local chumps who send their sht overseas or to the Costa Rican connection won't inhibit us from working on Docs who actually care about what gets done in this country. Maybe I'm wrong, and I'm sure I'll get some nasty phone calls, but your right, it's like jumping over dollars to pick up pennys on these type of cases.

We don’t do any same days for accounts that don’t send us other work besides just repairs and relines, I don’t put a actual dollar amount on it but we are very upfront they must send us real cases as well. Otherwise we will do there repairs but not same day. We have some accounts that only send us repairs, they are done in 2-3 days and they must deliver and pick up. We don’t pick up/deliver to accounts that only send us repairs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score

Just being a pain, but, do you have any office doing $1000 in repairs a month? What then?

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Just being a pain, but, do you have any office doing $1000 in repairs a month? What then?
No I don't, Was actually talking to the fine gents here about this issue. We could just double our fees to those specific Docs for those specific same day services. That will probably make them runaway too, which if it were me, fk it...let them run away. However, that's bad business, what about a additional 'same-day service' line item charge...say $60 dollars extra, heck you could make any dollar amount, make it profitable. I'm sure that will thin the crowd per say, but won't tick off all of them enough to stop sending. As you can see, i'm still mulling this over.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
They will go away!!! Was actually talking to the fine gents here about this issue. We could just double our fees to those specific Docs for those specific same day services. That will probably make them runaway too, which if it were me, fk it...let them run away. However, that's bad business, what about a additional 'same-day service' line item charge...say $60 dollars extra, heck you could make any dollar amount, make it profitable. I'm sure that will thin the crowd per say, but won't tick off all of them enough to stop sending. As you can see, i'm still mulling this over.
Maybe just add an unscheduled fee of some %, 25-50ish would get their attention plenty. And define scheduled as more than 24 hours notice in advance of your pickup or their delivery, and that they'll be billed if they fall through just like a patient who doesn't show.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
your same day service should be generating new removable business as well.
We are in the problem solving business.