Roland DWX-50 after one year

Glenn Kennedy

Glenn Kennedy

Reaction score
In the US there are several brands being used because the machine supports so many puck and block sizes. I think this is an excellent question. Could you post this as a new thread in the CAM forum to see what DWX-50 customers are using and why?

Vazone

Vazone

Reaction score
On my roland just 3 broken buttons after year :D ;)
guess.jpg
guess.jpg

proto3000steve

proto3000steve

Reaction score
Thank you for your recommendation :)

We are more then happy to assist with any Roland Canadian inquiry. We have the machinery in-house so you can have a look at its capabilities before you make a purchasing decision. We will be having an open house on June 13th if you would like to have any questions answered.

more information can be found here:

http://www.proto3000.com/news.aspx?topidcol=96

Last edited:
BobCDT

BobCDT

Reaction score
Hi All,
We have finished optimization of our Roland DWX 50 and here's the mill times. This is time per unit based on milling 5 or 6 units at a time.
High Def full contour zirconia, 15 minutes per unit.
Reg Def FZ 12 minutes
copings 10 minutes
wax copings 8 minutes
Thought i would post some picks of the FZ high def pucks. it's awesome, no need for any post milling redefining of anatomy.
Bob
green FZ puc.jpg
Green FZ 2.jpg
green FZ puc.jpg Green FZ 2.jpg

Last edited:
BobCDT

BobCDT

Reaction score
Hi All,
A couple of more things on the Roland.
When nesting a puck with say 10 units Sum 3D provides an auto nest feature that works well and is very fast. In addition, after nesting most CAM programs go through a calculation process that would require 20-30 minutes before you can kick off the mill. With Sum 3D the calculations go through the first step in about 3 minutes. Once the first step is complete the mill starts milling and the calculation process continues during the milling. This feature enables a quick start to mill jobs.
Loving Roland and Sum 3D
Bob

stumpf

stumpf

Reaction score
I recived my Roland DWX50 and Sum3d yesterday.I milled 4 crowns then my 1mm bur broke....i call the hungarian Roland distributor he said i have to wait a week because he don't have any....:((((

BobCDT

BobCDT

Reaction score
I recived my Roland DWX50 and Sum3d yesterday.I milled 4 crowns then my 1mm bur broke....i call the hungarian Roland distributor he said i have to wait a week because he don't have any....:((((

Hi
You should really keep an inventory of all the tools you are using. We go with a min max system. So, for instance, if you want to mill 15 units a day I would recommend having a minimum of 3 of each tool and a max of six. So, when one of your tool inventories gets to 3 do an inventory and place an order so you have 6 of each diameter. If it will be of any help we have Roland tools in stock and could ship them tomorrow.
Bob

stumpf

stumpf

Reaction score
Hi
You should really keep an inventory of all the tools you are using. We go with a min max system. So, for instance, if you want to mill 15 units a day I would recommend having a minimum of 3 of each tool and a max of six. So, when one of your tool inventories gets to 3 do an inventory and place an order so you have 6 of each diameter. If it will be of any help we have Roland tools in stock and could ship them tomorrow.
Bob

Thanks Bob!You are really kind - as always - i like to try your translucent zirconia very much,but i recived your pack(sample crowns) in the past friday...if you check you sent me nearly about a month,so it's very hard to recive anything from USA....

Glenn Kennedy

Glenn Kennedy

Reaction score
Stumpf,

That is very frustrating. Do you know why the tool broke? What CAM software are you using with your DWX-50? Be sure to use wax feeds/speeds for wax and Zirconia feeds/speeds for Zirconia, this is one of common mistakes, cutting Zr with wax feeds and speeds. If you are cutting PMMA (plastic) be sure to use the higher air flow specified in the operation guide. This will keep the work area cool and clear chips as they are created.

Above all, try to figure out what went wrong before another expensive tool gets destroyed!

-Glenn

G

Gita

Reaction score
hi Glenn,
im about to buy roland dwx 30 or 50. does roland have plan to demo or maybe exhibition in indonesia (or maybe nearby country such as singapore)? i'd like to see it work first before buy. and also check compatibility with our file from OpenCAD..
thanks

AGV

AGV

Reaction score
Hi All,
We have finished optimization of our Roland DWX 50 and here's the mill times. This is time per unit based on milling 5 or 6 units at a time.
High Def full contour zirconia, 15 minutes per unit.
Reg Def FZ 12 minutes
copings 10 minutes
wax copings 8 minutes
Thought i would post some picks of the FZ high def pucks. it's awesome, no need for any post milling redefining of anatomy.
Bob
View attachment 2961
View attachment 2962

Bob,

Every time i've tried to get that milling times with Zr, every time the margins were broken , or just a little damaged. Thought the solution was decrease Z advance (0.1). Margins were better ( although some damaged, perhaps due by a 120 units milled tool),but it takes 1 hr. per crown . Besides, i've seen your milled piece has no little stripes , surprisingly smooth. Would you be so kind to guide me? Thanks.

Glenn Kennedy

Glenn Kennedy

Reaction score
hi Glenn,
im about to buy roland dwx 30 or 50. does roland have plan to demo or maybe exhibition in indonesia (or maybe nearby country such as singapore)? i'd like to see it work first before buy. and also check compatibility with our file from OpenCAD..
thanks

Hi Gita,

You can contact our Indonesian office to see what is available. To find Roland worldwide offices you can visit the International partner locator on our corporate website:
Distributor List

If you need any other help finding an authorized DWX dealer in your area please send me a private message with your contact information and I will make sure it gets to the right person for follow up.

-Glenn

G

Gita

Reaction score
Thanks Glenn,
I will see the demo within 2weeks.. hope to be able to buy 1 soon..

M

macminn

Reaction score
We've had some trouble milling pmma with our Roland as well. Broken tools seem to be quite frequent. We adjusted the air pressure to recommendations. I haven't even tried milling it for a few months because of that.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
We've had some trouble milling pmma with our Roland as well. Broken tools seem to be quite frequent. We adjusted the air pressure to recommendations. I haven't even tried milling it for a few months because of that.

ouch! thats one heck of a lump of cash sitting for a "few months"

M

macminn

Reaction score
All I meant was I haven't tried milling pmma in a few months. We're pumping out LOTS of units a day out of zirconia.

ouch! thats one heck of a lump of cash sitting for a "few months"

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
All I meant was I haven't tried milling pmma in a few months. We're pumping out LOTS of units a day out of zirconia.

oh phew! made me nervous! lol
you going to give PMMA another shot? maybe make some additional adjustments etc?
glad its at least paying for itself!!!

RileyS

RileyS

Reaction score

how are your margins and mill times with full contour zirconia?

M

macminn

Reaction score
Margins are great, mill times I think around 15 minutes? I haven't asked the guys lately, but I think that's pretty close.

RileyS

RileyS

Reaction score
cool. since owning the sirona craplab I still fear that all mills are talked up too much.

Top Bottom