Restorations Du Jour

M

mokome

Reaction score
Jason this is MC. Old demo cases I've had for years where i used will ceram I am stripping them all and relayering with initial to use in Chicago. Should have 50 or 60 units done.
This is between .7 to 1.1 total thickness metal included so far so I have a lot of room for enamel
I opaqueand dust with shoulder porc. Then a OD build and dust with clear and I can fire and the frame will disappear.

Hi Al, could you explain what does it mean opaque and dust with shoulder porc? do you do that on 1 st application of opaque? What about OD build and dust? How do you control the moisture of wet OD? so not to get too much clear on OD?

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
Al I notice you use different color die stone in a few cases are you matching expansion to certain clients?

Beautiful work!

Al.

Al.

Reaction score
Al I notice you use different color die stone in a few cases are you matching expansion to certain clients?

Beautiful work!
John that is die keen I haven't used that in 15 years. Its a 20 year old demo case I stripped and relayered.
Im doing some scheduled live demos in Chicago for GC so what I plan to do remake one of the central copiings probably in pfm since that is what these are not zir and build the crown.
Im thinking about doing it like a cooking show breaking it down into easy steps vs the complicated builds that people show and few can do.
Ill have like 3 copings wit different layers baked to show what each looks like. I will build on each layer.
Like I will have an opaque coping dusted with shoulder porc.
I will build a layer of Opacious dentin and dust it with clear.
I wil have another one already fired.
I will build on that one dentin and incisal frame and mammalians.
And I will had an example of that pre fired.
I will stain that one and do the final enamel layer on that.
So Im breaking a complicated build down into 3 or 4 simple steps.
These are average 1.2 mm in the thickest and .7 in the thinnest areas.

Last edited:
EJADA

EJADA

Reaction score
Thanks Al. I could spend an hour looking at all the different effects in those.

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
John that is die keen I haven't used that in 15 years. Its a 20 year old demo case I stripped and relayered.
Im doing some scheduled live demos in Chicago for GC so what I plan to do remake one of the central copiings probably in pfm since that is what these are not zir and build the crown.
Im thinking about doing it like a cooking show breaking it down into easy steps vs the complicated builds that people show and few can do.
Ill have like 3 copings wit different layers baked to show what each looks like. I will build on each layer.
Like I will have an opaque coping dusted with shoulder porc.
I will build a layer of Opacious dentin and dust it with clear.
I wil have another one already fired.
I will build on that one dentin and incisal frame and mammalians.
And I will had an example of that pre fired.
I will stain that one and do the final enamel layer on that.
So Im breaking a complicated build down into 3 or 4 simple steps.
These are average 1.2 mm in the thickest and .7 in the thinnest areas.

Awesome Al, wish I was heading to Chicago would love to see your presentation. I think your idea on your presentation will be exceptionally well received. I like it when presentations are geared more to actually teaching than showing off. Have a great trip!

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
youre missing your CLF layer Al, itll really make it pop .

. oh snap i saw you had the clf in that pile of porc. Sorry..

Last edited:
Toast

Toast

Reaction score
Awesome Al, wish I was heading to Chicago would love to see your presentation. I think your idea on your presentation will be exceptionally well received. I like it when presentations are geared more to actually teaching than showing off. Have a great trip!
I couldn't agree more! It would be awesome if a video of your presentation was available after Chicago on the GC website. I've learned so much from your detailed posts and the pictures that accompany them, I could only imagine how much could be learned through a video. I wish I was going to Chicago even if only to see this.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
This is emax over Argen Z Esthetic zir 12 crown and 11-22 bridge. A1
Still working on the surface polishing. It looks good until you post it.

DSC_0194_zps114e2b2c.jpg

W

wilkscm

Reaction score
lovely how do you polish ceramic great result

W

wilkscm

Reaction score
surface texture is the hardest to get right but I would be happy if I could achieve this level

M

MDT-RP

Reaction score
U

USGooner

Reaction score
Emax
View attachment 15341
View attachment 15342
View attachment 15343[/quote

Al , I just have to say that you are the man! I think you've mentioned this before but what ingots do you generally use...lt,ht, value ingots. What's your process for ingot selection? How many shades lighter than final shade. What about for bleach shades, we get a lot of om/3 or bl4, 1m/1 shades. Thanks for all your posts. They are very helpful and inspiring. Keep up the great work!