Restorations Du Jour

Al.

Al.

Reaction score
This one went in this morning. Got lucky, got it the first try.

This is just post insert. Nice tissue management on the Docs end.

ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_1_2.jpg
ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_2_3.jpg

This ones for the surface finish.

ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_4.jpg
ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_5.jpg

ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_6_1.jpg
ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_1_2.jpg ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_2_3.jpg ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_4.jpg ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_5.jpg ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_6_1.jpg

Scotts studio

Scotts studio

Reaction score
Your a rock star Al !! very nice!! It would a great to see the photo you made this from, photo of stump? are you using a Mac?

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
What I find truly amazing is your ability to match from a photo.

Alistar

Alistar

Reaction score
Man i wish i had ONE doc that could take pics like this! Awesome work Al. 10 of 10. Is that pfm or e.max??

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

bonded

bonded

Reaction score
Al , just wow :D
I think you change little bit your technique layering, Am i right ??
Its amazing how you can change ur build up easily,I must admit its not easy.

cheadlemick

cheadlemick

Reaction score
Just remember Al nobody likes a clever ****! :rolleyes: Beautiful work though!

S

stanleyn

Reaction score
This work is sooo good! i do not know which one is a crown/crowns? #8 or 9 or both?

Al.

Al.

Reaction score
Thanks

I learned a lesson with this case below.
I put some surface stain on it and it looked great by eye. I didnt do anything to it right out of the oven. Just polish the metal. I took several pics then packed it up.

I looked at the pics today. They looked terrible.
The surface was not smooth. I unpacked it and smoothed the surface with a rubber wheel, then retook the pics. Problem solved.
Diamond or stone marks, leave a sand paper like or grainy surface. It may not be noticable by eye but the macro lens not only picks it up but magnifies it.
The grainy surface also is really reflective and light bounces off it and it takes away from the translucently.

This is PFM. DSign. I opaqued it D2. Layered A3. Did a dentin bake only taking the Dentin all the way into occlusion. Then layered incisal around it. So the yellow seen on the incisals is straight Dentin A3. Insical 1, OE3 for the height of contour at the gin. and some OE4 on the incisal edges on top of the incisal 1. Cervival Dentin D2/3 for the proximals.

In the last pic you can really see the OE3 and 4.

ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_c_1.jpg
ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_c1.jpg
ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_c3_1.jpg
ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_c3a.jpg
ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_c4.jpg
ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_c5_1.jpg
ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_c6_1.jpg
ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_c_1.jpg ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_c1.jpg ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_c3_1.jpg ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_c3a.jpg ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_c4.jpg ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_c5_1.jpg ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_c6_1.jpg

Last edited:
rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Sweet!,

I like the idea of doing a dentin bake 1st.

disturbed

disturbed

Disturbing Member
Reaction score
Nice embrasures. What is the color band through the center? Just the substructure? Or did you stack that in? If so out of what?

Al.

Al.

Reaction score
The color band is really the contrast between the oe3 and oe4 or the whiter incisal and the reg dentin and incisal.

Al.

Al.

Reaction score
Just got back from Russ DeVreugds hands on course. Wow what an excellent course !!!

I have a few pics Ill post tomorrow of the course!

While I was gone the Dr seated the bridge I posted above.

One thing very intresting. The case was high in the mouth but the models locked in perfect and the mounting was right on and I had it so my acufilm 2 paper pulled through the occlusion.
Russ gave us a detailed instruction of how to properly and quickly equilibrate our models before they are mounted. "Teeth move stone dosent".
I am convinced this was the reason for the high occ in the mouth when the case was perfect on the model.

I think the left cuspid looks too high in value or mabey or mabey a bit of opaque is coming through. Mabey the flash or too thin of layering porc to mask out the opaque?

ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_n3_zpsed007060.jpg
ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_n1_zps4d4a517e.jpg

Protrusive. This pic is the reason I am going to go to Russ's Anterior course to better learn anterior occlusion and function.

ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_n2_zps3dfe5601.jpg
ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_n3_zpsed007060.jpg ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_n1_zps4d4a517e.jpg ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_n2_zps3dfe5601.jpg

Labwa

Labwa

Reaction score
Think you're being a touch picky with the value of the cuspid mate. Great work!

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
... so any tips on how to 'properly and quickly equilibrate on the model'? :)

Alistar

Alistar

Reaction score
Only a truly passionate perfectionist like yourself would see much wrong with this Al. This work makes my lower ant bridge look like junk.

Yes, the cuspid looks just a touch bright, but I think it's the flash. I'm sure you take your own pics with a diffuser of some sort. Do you know what this docs camera setup is?

I'm looking forward to attending Russ's courses as well...and I'm sure I need the schooling much more than yourself! I would have been at this last one, but my wife had some complications with her last pregnancy and I put a hold on all of my travel plans.

Back on topic.

Questions that always comes to my mind when a doc says a case was high, and I had it prefect on the models is: How did the doc temporize? Did he relieve the occlusion of the temps, allowing the opposing teeth to super-erupt...?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
Al.

Al.

Reaction score
1,059 miles I logged on getting there on the iron horse. A good part of that in scotter heaven going through the Appalachains. It got a bit nippy in the low 50s.

ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_IMG_0018_zps864ef3f8.jpg
ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_IMG_0020_zps35b06b4a.jpg

Here is one of our hands on projects. We also did an upper molar. What an awesome teaching technique ! Breaking it down like this makes it so easy. Like the saying eating an elephant one bite at a time.

ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_8_zps8e34f086.jpg

Russ approved and changed each step before we moved on to the next.
LOL and this hairy dude was hoping for a good report card.

ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_4_zps9e3ff558.jpg

Here we are waiting for our verdicts. Like walking death row for some of us. LOL

ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_3_zpsd6941b40.jpg

Every time I had mine perfect. I knew he wouldnt have to touch it. But everytime he worked it over. Im a really good waxer but Russ is much better. He is an awesome waxer.

It was a full house.

ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_1_zps0ff983ab.jpg
ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_2_zps8a5fdf2c.jpg

It was an honor to meet and sit at the feet of an international legend in the dental lab field. This was the 28th year of his course.

Its not always about the course. Its also the people in our field you are privilaged to meet and rub elbows with.

There were 4 or 5 Drs there and one from Calafornia brought her staff.
I heard one ask a tech for her business card. He always has Drs attending because it helps them with direct resins. Often these courses pay for themselves with new and out of state clients because they are always looking for labs that can do what they learn.

There were 4 cad operators that each dsign 30 units a day. And adj the contacts and occ on the ones they did the day before. All from one lab. All the full arch models are equlibrated before they get them. None of them had waxing experence. Of course, the course wasnt about waxing or really occ but making crowns the Dr dosent have to adjust.

There was a military tech that flew in from Germany.

I had the privilage to share a bench with this cool dude and his wife, Michael Gorsche. An awesome tech that specalizes in complicated cases.(Ive seen alot of his amazing work on face book) he also lectures alot on Cad Cam stuff because hes a Cad Cam and soft ware guru.

ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_6_zpsd3511033.jpg

Ha Ha my wife saw this pic and said you know your old men when you have strings on your glasses.

ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_5_zpsfe892243.jpg

Russ says there is no guarantee he will do anymore courses after this year !!!!!!!!

I think I can talk him into doing one more anterior course next year if we can get it to fill up. And that shouldnt be a problem, I know 4 people already that will go.

So keep your ears open if you are intrested. I think he is doing another anterior course in Nov but I cant go.
Anybody that says " Someday Im going to one of his courses" someday is now.

I promise I can make money off his princilpes.
ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_IMG_0018_zps864ef3f8.jpg ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_IMG_0020_zps35b06b4a.jpg ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_8_zps8e34f086.jpg ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_4_zps9e3ff558.jpg ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_3_zpsd6941b40.jpg ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_1_zps0ff983ab.jpg ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_2_zps8a5fdf2c.jpg ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_6_zpsd3511033.jpg ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_5_zpsfe892243.jpg

Last edited:
D

DeVreugd

Reaction score
Al,

It was my pleasure to have you in my class! I want to really thank you for all the help setting up & breaking down the last day!!
I think your posterior work will be perfect!!

Next Posterior Morphology Course is Dec. 7-8, 2012 :)

Russ

Russ

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
It's good to see Foghat found gainful employment in the dental field.;)

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
what's the bets the background music was Mountain, Screaming Jay Hawkins and Tom Waits, while everyone did their waxing.