Removable Grill

olwyn

olwyn

Reaction score
Hi, I've been asked to make a removable grill. I'm fine with waxing it up and casting etc, but I'm not too sure what's the best way to make it stay in place. The cheap ready-mades use a strip of thermo plastic but I think it would be a bulky grill that would have room for that method. I'm thinking a thermoformed liner might be the way to go but I can't quite get my head around it.
Does anyone have any experience with these, I'd love some advice please.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Hi, I've been asked to make a removable grill. I'm fine with waxing it up and casting etc, but I'm not too sure what's the best way to make it stay in place. The cheap ready-mades use a strip of thermo plastic but I think it would be a bulky grill that would have room for that method. I'm thinking a thermoformed liner might be the way to go but I can't quite get my head around it.
Does anyone have any experience with these, I'd love some advice please.
MarcustheGladiatorCDT has shown 2 of them he's done. Might be some helpfull info in the searches
Unfortunately, the first one "GladiatorGrillz" isn't comjng up when I search for it, maybe you'll have better luck.

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
Rather than using the search feature here, try using Google or whatever search engine you use. Try something like, "dental lab network and grills". I generally am more successful that way.

olwyn

olwyn

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I did actually look at that thread before asking, but he says he lined it with bonding composite. I thought there might be a better way to get a retentive fit. There was no photo of the fitting surface and I think it might look pretty crappy.

@rkm rdt I'm not in a position to refuse any kind of work. I'm also making 4 crowns for a police dog at the moment. It's all good work for me. The dental lab industry in South Australia is in dire straits, I'll be out of business soon if things don't change.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
I hope it gets better for you.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I did actually look at that thread before asking, but he says he lined it with bonding composite. I thought there might be a better way to get a retentive fit. There was no photo of the fitting surface and I think it might look pretty crappy.

@rkm rdt I'm not in a position to refuse any kind of work. I'm also making 4 crowns for a police dog at the moment. It's all good work for me. The dental lab industry in South Australia is in dire straits, I'll be out of business soon if things don't change.
That's a rough spot to be in. What happened to y'all there? Cad/cam and conglomerates or something else? I know people didn't en mass start properly brushing and flossing.

olwyn

olwyn

Reaction score
@JMN for me it's a number of factors all coming together at once. Many of my customers are retiring in the space of a few years, and their younger successors are chasing the dollar, sending work overseas instead of continuing the relationship. Apparently 60% of lab work in Australia is now going overseas. Also the South Australian Government has pulled some of the funding for dental, and our economy is up the ****ter, so even the dentists are very quiet right now. Seems like some people are actually putting off doing their major dental work, choosing cheaper temporary options. And finally the Cerec machine is increasing in popularity. I do use NobelProcera, Atlantis and local milling centres, but I do not have the capability to accept intraoral scans at the moment. Not sure if this is holding me back yet though. I have not put my prices up for 4 years and there is increasing pressure to lower it on items such as Zirconia and Emax which have become cheaply available.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Edit: Double post from terrible 'net connection

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
@JMN for me it's a number of factors all coming together at once. Many of my customers are retiring in the space of a few years, and their younger successors are chasing the dollar, sending work overseas instead of continuing the relationship. Apparently 60% of lab work in Australia is now going overseas. Also the South Australian Government has pulled some of the funding for dental, and our economy is up the ****ter, so even the dentists are very quiet right now. Seems like some people are actually putting off doing their major dental work, choosing cheaper temporary options. And finally the Cerec machine is increasing in popularity. I do use NobelProcera, Atlantis and local milling centres, but I do not have the capability to accept intraoral scans at the moment. Not sure if this is holding me back yet though. I have not put my prices up for 4 years and there is increasing pressure to lower it on items such as Zirconia and Emax which have become cheaply available.

We never were exactly sure what to do about that either. Sounds like you are in a very similar situation to the lab I worked in that closed this year. I was hoping that we were more of an isolated incident. I'll keep your situation in my thoughts and prayers.