Refractory die material shofu and the shofu porcelain

A

Aditia KT

Reaction score
I am a dentist and wanna do feldspathic veneer by myself
1. Does anyone here using Shofu Lamina Vest refractory die material ?
There is no guide what temp to fire the imvestment after setting.

2. I use shofu vintage pro (high fusing)
for refactory veneer, i have read someone said there is must be a wash firing
What is wash firing ? Does it means is first layer before we apply masses layer porcelain ?, and does the wash firing is always 10 degrees above the normal firing ?

Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score
I don't have experience with Shofu, but with GC vest. I don't think it is much different to the Shofu one. This is what I do with the GC vest: Place the refractory model in a burnout furnace and heat it up to 650 Celcius and hold it for there for about 20 min. Then put it into your porcelain furnace and heat it up to 1010 Celsius. Keep it there for another 10-15 min.
What is wash firing ?
The wash 'seals' the surface of the refractory die. Again, no experience with Shofu, but after applying the wash (thin layer of neutral porcelain, in my case) I over fire the wash by maybe 40 -50 celcius, which creates a smooth surface, on which you then layer your porcelain. Don't try to do all in one firing, it will shrink excessively. You will also have to over fire the subsequent firings, too, since the refractory model absorbs heat (about 20 celsius). I'd recommend a couple trials, before going live.

I guess you have seen Pascal Magne's and Urs Belser's book. The 'bible' for refractory Veneers:

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
You could also call Gresco, and find out the version they recommend for Shofu. I used to use it with Vintage, and now only use Vintage Halo for C&B.

I would also consider using some of his refractory die spacer, which I also used to use. But with pressed, it's hard to beat for a lab time wise and the ability to re-fire for add-ons with peace of mind. But I get the idea of refractory veneers.

Last edited:
A

Aditia KT

Reaction score
I don't have experience with Shofu, but with GC vest. I don't think it is much different to the Shofu one. This is what I do with the GC vest: Place the refractory model in a burnout furnace and heat it up to 650 Celcius and hold it for there for about 20 min. Then put it into your porcelain furnace and heat it up to 1010 Celsius. Keep it there for another 10-15 min.

The wash 'seals' the surface of the refractory die. Again, no experience with Shofu, but after applying the wash (thin layer of neutral porcelain, in my case) I over fire the wash by maybe 40 -50 celcius, which creates a smooth surface, on which you then layer your porcelain. Don't try to do all in one firing, it will shrink excessively. You will also have to over fire the subsequent firings, too, since the refractory model absorbs heat (about 20 celsius). I'd recommend a couple trials, before going live.

I guess you have seen Pascal Magne's and Urs Belser's book. The 'bible' for refractory Veneers:

Thankyou for your advice !
Im using vintage pro (this product is for pfm and feldspathic) and this is firing end temp reccomended by shofu
-1st opaque dentin, body, enamel and effect is 910 celcius
-2nd opaque dentin, body, enamel and effect is 900 celcius
- stain and glaze at 870 c3lcius
what is your temperature suggestion for wash firing, first bake , second bake, stain and glaze ?

Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score
what is your temperature suggestion for wash firing, first bake , second bake, stain and glaze ?
Best you can do is pour up a couple dies a do a trial, with different temperatures. Take what I mentioned above as a starting point. Do one die with these temperatures and maybe one with a slightly higher difference and one with a lower temperature difference.

A

Aditia KT

Reaction score
Best you can do is pour up a couple dies a do a trial, with different temperatures. Take what I mentioned above as a starting point. Do one die with these temperatures and maybe one with a slightly higher difference and one with a lower temperature difference.
thankyou very much sir !

H

Holmes1722

Reaction score
I am a dentist and wanna do feldspathic veneer by myself
1. Does anyone here using Shofu Lamina Vest refractory die material ?

2. I use shofu vintage pro (high fusing)
for refactory veneer, i have read someone said there is must be a wash firing
What is wash firing ? Does it means is first layer before we apply masses layer porcelain ?, and does the wash firing is always 10 degrees above the normal firing ?
Hi,

I used Lamina vest with shofu vintage porcelain for over 15 years. Also used shofu halo porcelain.

Is there anything I can help you with?

C

charles007

Reaction score
Aditia KT, you can call directly to Shofu to ask for technical help, they are located in Calif..
800-827-4638