Question about structured light scanners

Drizzt

Drizzt

Reaction score
Hi everyone ,

I recently had a SmartOptics 850 scanner demonstration . I can't say I was impressed . The main thing that troubled me was the fact that the model had to be scanned and re-scanned to get a decent scanning result of the model without holes . My old Wieland S 100 can do it a lot faster . I don't know if it is better , but faster for sure .

My question is this : the whole multiple scanning thing is something common for white light scanners ? Do they need many scans to capture all the data for the model , or it was just the SmartOptics scanner ? Maybe the user did not know what he was doing ?

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Too many data voids, as you have found...

I am frustrated at current scanners on the market.

Building my own soon. It is going to be $$$,$$$! Not for everyone.

We almost NEVER re-scan with the Steinbichlers we have. So, it is not a problem with all white-light technology.

Scott

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
Not normally. Could be your stone? I manually adjust the brightness too. Makes a big difference. I have to do an add scan here and there occasionally but not too often. My issue is usually when both cameras can. It see the same surface at the same time. That can be annoying until you get used to how to position the models.

Drizzt

Drizzt

Reaction score
Too many data voids, as you have found...

I am frustrated at current scanners on the market.

Building my own soon. It is going to be $$$,$$$! Not for everyone.

We almost NEVER re-scan with the Steinbichlers we have. So, it is not a problem with all white-light technology.

Scott

I am frustrated too . I am trying to find a solution for me , to get rid of the dental wings curse , and what I get is more frustation .

The scanner you are building , as you said is not for everybody . I wish I could afford something like that , but unfortunately I can't .

So for now I am stuck with DW . I even tried the new version of it , and if it is possible , it was slower than the old one I have . And of course the first attemt of designing a bridge ended up as a disaster . I will post a pic later . It is installed in a Dell T 3600 workstation . Maybe it was not installed properly by the dealer ? Don't know . Maybe it is some kind of dark magic ? Don't know that either !

Drizzt

Drizzt

Reaction score
Not normally. Could be your stone? I manually adjust the brightness too. Makes a big difference. I have to do an add scan here and there occasionally but not too often. My issue is usually when both cameras can. It see the same surface at the same time. That can be annoying until you get used to how to position the models.

I don't think it is the stone . The colour is apricot and my scanner never has an issue with that stone . Maybe he had to adjust the brightness too . As fot the positioning , the scanner had a standard position for the model , I don't know if it could be altered .

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
I don't think it is the stone . The colour is apricot and my scanner never has an issue with that stone . Maybe he had to adjust the brightness too . As fot the positioning , the scanner had a standard position for the model , I don't know if it could be altered .

Positioning was more for the add scan if necessary. Do you have access to the identica scanner? May want to give it a shot before you lose all faith in white light;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Drizzt

Drizzt

Reaction score
Positioning was more for the add scan if necessary. Do you have access to the identica scanner? May want to give it a shot before you lose all faith in white light;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I haven't lost my faith , after all I would try anything to get rid of the "one who can't be named'' (dark lord DWOS)!!

Unfortunately I will have to wait till the next IDS in Koln , because the Greek dealer doesn't have any for demonstration .

Y

YMS96

Reaction score
I haven't lost my faith , after all I would try anything to get rid of the "one who can't be named'' (dark lord DWOS)!!

Unfortunately I will have to wait till the next IDS in Koln , because the Greek dealer doesn't have any for demonstration .

So why not just get a 3Shape? You press a button and it scans - it works. Yeah the on screen image may not seem as crisp as some of the white lights but it doesn't matter because it will produce restorations that fit perfectly and that's all that matters, right?

Drizzt

Drizzt

Reaction score
So why not just get a 3Shape? You press a button and it scans - it works. Yeah the on screen image may not seem as crisp as some of the white lights but it doesn't matter because it will produce restorations that fit perfectly and that's all that matters, right?

I know . I also had a demonstration of D 810 . Really quick , and it works . I also like the new stuff the will release with the 2013 version . But right now I will stick with my scanner . Too much $$$ for the D 810 , 32.000 euros . Maybe next year . Also with Dental Wings I have an easiest road to walk regarding designing one piece custom abutments and milling them inhouse . The library I have purchased is made for DW , plus I already have the abutment designer . So even less money spent .

I tried the newest version of DWOS, solving some issues I had , and I have to say it is a lot better than the one I currently own . Faster , and finally it produces teeth , not some weird things that they are definitly not teeth !!!

Anyway , I will try it for a month and then I will decide what will I do .

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
I have the 810 and love what we get out of it. Works fast and efficient, I very very rarely have to rescan for contacts, it get them on the first try.

Just for comparison sakes for a simple single full contour restoration from a triple tray impression scanning both arches, it takes me approximately 7.5 minutes to get to where I can design the restoration full arch models take about 3 minutes more.

S

STJDENT

Reaction score
Go for 3shape, you will not regret. I love my 810 (worth the money)

Drizzt

Drizzt

Reaction score
Go for 3shape, you will not regret. I love my 810 (worth the money)

I will have to wait for that . I recently bought my milling machine , nearly 100 k so at this time it will have to wait !!!

I

ilwoong

Reaction score
Drizzt,
I've had great information about CAM from your postings. Thank you for your sharing. I think I am going to buy one for me soon and am considering either Origin Pro 5000 ( I think it is Yenadent D40?) or Imes-icore 550i. Can I ask you why you chose Yenadent, not Imes icore? Both seem good to me but any particular reason why you chose Yenadent? Thank you.

Drizzt

Drizzt

Reaction score
Hi ilwoong ,

I chose Yenadent , because the money were less , not only for the machine , but for CAM , tools , suction too . Peoplei from Yenadent are really willing to help me with any problems I have , plus they have ready-to use solutions for complex things , such as abutments designing and milling . Imes icore 550 i is a great machine , I am sure of that , but it costs 35.000 euros more here in Greece . I simply couldn't afford it . I mill everything in my machine , metal is a 70% of my milling right now . The result is better than my casting , plus it is so much quicker . I am not saying that every job I have milled was perfect , because there are so many variables and metal milling is a complicated thing , but overall the results are really good . So I can say I am happy with my choice .

Do you want to mill metal ? If you do , maybe you should check DC 40 . It is better for that . If you want to mill zirconia mainly , then you could go for D 30 . The results will amaze you . If you want to mill both dry and wet mill materials , and be productive , and you can afford it , buy two machines . A big one for wet milling , and a smaller for dry milling . This is the next thing I want to do . To add another smaller machine to mill dry only in the future . Cleaning from wet to dry can be a bitch !!!

Hope that helps

Dimitris

P

PinAn

Reaction score
Drizzt. May i ask u what is the average salary for Dental technician in Greece.

If 550i only need 3.5k euros , it's very cheap in taiwan.

Drizzt

Drizzt

Reaction score
Drizzt. May i ask u what is the average salary for Dental technician in Greece.

If 550i only need 3.5k euros , it's very cheap in taiwan.

I wrote that 550i costs 35k euros MORE than my machine . Aproximately 115k euros .

REJ

REJ

Reaction score
I think the price difference between Origin and Imes is less in the US. The 550i would also be more like the 7000 origin. The 5000 is comparable to the 450i which cuts metal also.

Drizzt

Drizzt

Reaction score
I think the price difference between Origin and Imes is less in the US. The 550i would also be more like the 7000 origin. The 5000 is comparable to the 450i which cuts metal also.

450 i can cut metal but it is sooo slow , at least the one I have seen in action . Also it is a tabletop model . Mine is 650-700 kg with granite base and a stell frame . Less vibrations for metal milling for sure . I don't think tabletop , lightweight model can produce a consistent quality result for metal milling . That's just me of course . This morning I milled two 4 unit bridges in 2 and a half hours . Average 19 minutes per unit . And only 3 of them were pontics . Origin 7000 is D 40 with a little different design . 550 i is comparable to Yenadent DC 40 I think .

DC40

CORiTEC 550i

Be carefull , I am not trashing Imes Icore , I am just explaining what made me choose my machine . If I could afford to spend 120.000 euros , I would buy D 40 as I did , and a DC 43 . Mill wet with D40 , and mill dry with DC 43 . That would made my life easier !! Cleaning from wet to dry can be a bitch as I said earlier !!!

D43

Last edited:
Top Bottom