Printing C&B dies on a Carbon?

T

tuyere

Solutions
Reaction score
Howdy,
We currently print our opposing and ortho models on our Carbons using DPR10 resin, and do our more finicy C&B prints on an Asiga with Dentamodel. We're considering moving our C&B stuff onto the carbon as well. but the fit-up of parts is very underwhelming- we've got thek die:crown fit on the Asigas pretty finely-tuned, no movement at all and nice closed margins, but our Carbon-printed dies always have a touch of play that technicians down the line find unacceptable. We can't really play with our Carbon material profiles because it's so hands-off compared to with our Asiga, which is what I'd normally do to get parts that everybody's happy with.
Is there any trick to getting better C&B parts off our carbon? We're printing at 50um z-steps already, I don't think going to 25 will make a huge difference.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Whatever Argen does, their Carbon dies fit pretty snugly. They have 3 tiny ribs that go down the axial wall of the model die access holes. At times, I've found myself taking a worn tapered diamond to smooth them out a bit for more of a passive seat. Dontknow

S

sirmorty

Reaction score
That's sad to hear that the 6 figure 3d Printer that you don't even own can't print accurate parts that fit one another. Don't they have stellar service and can get you dialed in? You certainly paid for it.

I have no experience with Carbon but I would say that I find solid models with seperate dies has been the best results for 3d printed models.

It seems to go fine for a bit than all of sudden a die just doesn't fit for whatever reason.

Just my thoughts with experience with Sprint Ray, Phrozen and Ackuretta Sol.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
@tuyere granted, those ridges on the wall of the die holes are probably in Argen's 3Shape Model builder .dme.

Last edited:
AaronW12321

AaronW12321

Reaction score
Funny, I do the exact opposite, all removable dies on the carbon. The asiga only prints check models and solo dies as far as models go. Here are my carbon settings ModelBuilder_Dz8VW7Trfe.png ModelBuilder_GlE0E6n8y9.png

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
I only print dies for emax veneers.
Solid models for everything else. Individual dies are a waste of time and money.

Z

ztech

Reaction score
Model compensation in your model maker is the way to get the die fit the way you want, not resin settings. Specifically the die interface adjustments. I used exocad modelcreater and the two settings that will effect the lateral stability would be the horizontal shaft spacing and the shaft taper. I, like others have stated on the board, use Solid model with separate die. This gives me a solid model with a die to adjust margins. most effective use of resources for me.