Pricing scheme for long span bridge

G

Gita

Reaction score
How's your lab pricing scheme for long span bridge??
Most labs here charge the same unit price for long span bridge, but i thought it should not..
As starter we are about to charge extra 10% for 10 units or more.. What do you think?
Thanks for all replies...

Last edited:
S

smile4me

Reaction score
do you charge a bridge connector fee per unit? we do $30 per connector!

EJADA

EJADA

Reaction score
do you charge a bridge connector fee per unit? we do $30 per connector!

I do the same $35 to $40 per connector. That makes up the extra needed for bridges for me.

stt672

stt672

Reaction score
Seldom does a doctor know what your mark up is in gold, but your labor price jumps right out at them. Just pad your gold bill don't give them sticker price shock by upping your labor. Just my opinion.

G

Gita

Reaction score
No i dont charge bridge connector. No labs here charge for it. We usually just count as price of crown..
These days i had too much 14 unit bridge case and i feel silly to count them only as 14 crowns...

Most labs here do only non precious... So we cannot mark up gold price. :)

R

Randy Hill PhD

Reaction score
I've actually had Drs. send larger cases to other less expensive labs because I charged for minor connectors cast and soldered. No amount of explaing how much more time it takes in contouring, waxing, etc. for larger cases works.
I do feel like there should be an extra charge for these connectors. My fee was only 10per minor connector cast and 20 if soldered.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Yep, be a trend setter because here in the states a lot of us charge for bridge connectors and if you're doing a whole of bunch single units on the same case we also charge extra as well...because as you know they aren't all the same labor as single units.

R

Randy Hill PhD

Reaction score
I hear ya Rob, and congrats on the new building/lab.

around here, we've got guys selling 79$ crowns with noble metal included. Hard to even think about those prices. We charged that back in '83. I don't know where this industry is headed, but the more I thought I knew, I realize how little I did know.

Drs. don't want to pay for a soft tissue model either, along with the minor connectors, extra pick-ups or shipping. I'm sure this is prevalent through-out the country, so maybe I just need more marketing.

How do you market Rob?

Gdentallab

Gdentallab

Reaction score
so a three unit bridge , will actually cost 3 units plus 2 connectors?
single units will take less labor time during waxup but more time in ceramic (adjusting contact points).

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
How do you market Rob?

I go to a lot of Dentist Continuing Education, where I meet Dentists that value a Technician's knowledge and know how. I know I spend more money than most Dentists out there going to CE but that's my marketing plan. Besides, it's a way for me to get one-on-one time with them and get to know them personally on some occasions as well. While your competition is messing around trying to get around the pitbull (frontdesk person) to get some Doc one-on-one time I have all the time I want with them. I'm not interested in making "B" type or $79 dollar crowns, there is enough big labs out there doing that. Make yourself knowledgeable, artistic, and let your communication forge your path and you won't ever have to worry about what others are doing around you. For many of you out there right now thinking that's a crazy approach. I would like to remind you that I only had two Dentists three years ago when I started my lab for myself. I stopped taking on new clients back in the spring of 2010, even with the additional hiring of eight employee's. If you want to be considered part of the team, you must make an attempt to becoming part of the team. So call up your current clients, ask them where they are going for their CE this year, see if you can tag along. This goes for study groups as well, see if you go with them. Be energetic but humble enough to ask when you don't know something. You would be surprised what type of client relationship building this does for you and your lab. Now this is only my technique, it isn't saying any others are any worse or better. I know one lab/tech who pays a certain percentage for his Docs to go to certain CE he thinks they need help in. Tons of ways to make this work for your business model. Good Luck!!!

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
so a three unit bridge , will actually cost 3 units plus 2 connectors?
single units will take less labor time during waxup but more time in ceramic (adjusting contact points).

You got it.... I charge an additional fee, it's not much, but it lets the Docs know hey, it takes more time to do all these on one model or that large bridge...charge accordingly. You are the master of your domain and the captain of your ship.

Rex Kramer

Rex Kramer

HMFIC
Reaction score
I charge same for 1-3 units anything 4 or more 15% more per unit. I'd much rather build 6 unit bridge than 6 singles. Less time and materials. So its win/win and yea whomever said about gold, I get my alloy mark it up 40% and weigh/sell in grams instead of dwt. Weigh it right after spru removal so grindings is even more profit.

actually I wondered about selling existing inventory gold like gaseoline, sell it at replacement cost if market has gone up....

I still have a client whom loves his gold crowns... he sells to patient @ his normal fee + lab gold fee.

rex
--

G

Gita

Reaction score
@ Rex Kramer: You are right Rex, 6 unit bridge are easier than 6 crowns... but what i'm facing here is 14 unit bridge that comes very often.. at least 1 case a week.. and sometimes more than 8 stumps..