Prescription - who is right?

Doris A

Doris A

Solutions
Reaction score
Yep, that's why I found the post, and this thread to be a little confusing, but it doesn't take to much for me :) :)
I took it to mean he only wanted porcelain on the buccal, maybe he wanted porcelain everywhere! Now you've got me confused.
See what you did there?!?!?DontknowDontknowDontknow

G

grantoz

Reaction score
so what did you send and what did he want and are you going to charge for the remake .because i think you gave him exactly what he ordered and the patient doesnt want any metal showing and now he is trying to get the bridge redone for free even though he knows you did what the sheet asked for.

desertfox384

desertfox384

Reaction score
“Please finish bridge in porcelain buccally” infers porcelain on the buccal only to me. Otherwise why state buccally?
“Metal band palataly and everywhere else” if this last part was on its own I would be confused, but since it’s conjoined with the first request, it says metal occ/lingual to me!

Last edited:
rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
I would have called…about 5 years ago and said I don’t do pfm anymore.
Today I would have texted the dr directly and said I don’t do pfm anymore.

P

Pictodent-SW18

Reaction score
I'm curious to find out what was made AND what the Dr wanted!

Sooo guys, thanks for your input, don't want to keep the suspense too long ;)

Yes indeed the bridge has been made already, but I wanted to see how other technicians would have read these instructions.

Dentist wanted:
Full porcelain coverage, added porcelain margin buccally (cutback framework),metal band palatally

We made: See photo.

So yeah.... bummer

Attachments

• Bridge.JPG
    Bridge.JPG
    21.8 KB · Views: 54
Doris A

Doris A

Solutions
Reaction score

Yes indeed the bridge has been made already, but I wanted to see how other technicians would have read these instructions.

Dentist wanted:
Full porcelain coverage, added porcelain margin buccally (cutback framework),metal band palatally

So yeah.... bummer
Don't feel bad, most of us read it the same way you did. Nowhere in the notes did he say full porcelain coverage.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score

Dentist wanted:

So yeah.... bummer
Nice job on the bridge, it looks good 👍

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score

Dentist wanted:

So yeah.... bummer
That's how I read it as well. That's a real plsser now too because you spent all that time making that non-precious look damn nice, which is kinda hard occlusally.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
The only reason to make a metal occlusion is if there is a fear of porcelain fracture due to minimal clearance. Let’s see a pic of the preps and the opposing.
Although the rx may be poorly explained, It should have warranted a phone call first.

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
The only reason to make a metal occlusion is if there is a fear of porcelain fracture due to minimal clearance. Let’s see a pic of the preps and the opposing.
Although the rx may be poorly explained, It should have warranted a phone call first.
Bruxism could also be a reason for metal occlusals.

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
These things have to be read in context; like does the prescribing doctor commonly ask for metal occlusals? Is the space limited enough that a metal occlusal is warranted?

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
Yes and the dr would or should have emphasized that. This one is on both parties.
Yes it is. I wouldn’t have made it with a porcelain butt joint margin unless they said exactly that, and they didn’t.
I have a Dr who routinely asks for 360 degree bands, except she calls them 360 degree bevels which is confusing because that would more commonly describe a prep, but I know what she wants. You have to know your accounts and if something is out of the ordinary, you have to ask.

Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score
I definitely did not read that in his/hers original instructions...