Pre-Sinter Staining Pontics

S

sirmorty

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Does anyone have any tips for getting better results on pontics?

I'm using Zirkon Zahn Aquarell
I find that the pontics are a too bright and white and seems to absorb the liquid a bit different.

I know it's because it's a large chunk of Zirconia and not thin compared to the abutments.
But I find it I put more pre-sinter stain on the pontic area , The colour becomes more intense but it is still does not really correct the brightness/white issue.

I'm pretty happy with the results I get on the single crowns.

Adigitalsmile

Adigitalsmile

Reaction score
What zirconia are you using?

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
are you dipping under vacuum?

S

sirmorty

Reaction score
The Zirconia is Wieland Zenostar.
I'm hand brushing, no dipping.

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
It's one of the issues water based stains have on dense zi. Acid based do not seem to have the same issues

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
Dilute the stains for the pontics...;)

P

Pointcloud

Reaction score
Change your Zi and get into a system that works well for you.
It's tough to develop a recipe .... No economics in development

S

sirmorty

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply's

Like you say it's a little bit tough to just start changing everything, especially when you have lots invested on the stains/zirconia.

Maybe I will look into acid once I'm finished with the Aquarell.

What is the technique about under a vacuum?

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
In use a chroma inhibitor on Pontic areas;)

If you never make a decision then your possibilities are endless.

G

grantoz

Reaction score
just do more brush strokes on pontics we have been using aquarrell since it came out .we refined our technique on left over thick pieces from the puck we also use prettau.maybe that's why it works ok same on same ,hope this helps we found we got better colours with water based rather than acid based.

CAD BANE

CAD BANE

Reaction score
Change your Zi and get into a system that works well for you.
It's tough to develop a recipe .... No economics in development
I took your advise and switched into a Zi system that works for me!
I switched over to Jensen's new XT Zirconia a few months ago and its the first zirconia that I have used where I get even distribution of shade from abutted teeth all the way through the thicker pontic areas.
No longer do I see a difference in shading or lack of shading on the pontics. It seems to be working using the brush on liquid technique as well as the dipping technique. Plus its a beautiful translucent zirconia, added bonus!

DevonR

DevonR

Reaction score
We use the Argen Zirconia with their colour system. They have 2 incisals, and a chroma inhibitor for the pontics or thick area's (these are made by them). For dipping the shade they use the ZirkonZahn water based liquids, so this might be an easy switch for you.

You paint on your incisal if you want it. Then paint on 1 brush stroke of chroma inhibitor on pontics, etc... then dip the shade. Super easy, super fast.

It works, and we are happy.

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Reaction score
It's one of the issues water based stains have on dense zi. Acid based do not seem to have the same issues

I love acid stains. You can dip em, walk away and forget about him. 2 hours later pull em out, their just fine. Dip a bridge with giant pontics. No problem.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
Certainly you know what a vacuum is? Do you mix stone under a vacuum? It sucks the air out.. Im just bein a smartas s.. I remember seeing mark jackson made this big contraption with small jars to colorize under vacuum.. its gets those hard to reach places.

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Reaction score
Certainly you know what a vacuum is? Do you mix stone under a vacuum? It sucks the air out.. Im just bein a smartas s.. I remember seeing mark jackson made this big contraption with small jars to colorize under vacuum.. its gets those hard to reach places.
Sounds as practical as electric scissors. I'm curious to see the difference between the two, vacuumed and normal.

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
I know the Bruxzir material didn't take color well so they introduced a vaccum to it to help get the color in. I use Zenostar and have zero issues with coloring it or pontics being too dark. I've used three or four different stain systems, and after fiddling around with them, I've been able to good accurate shades with each.

If you never make a decision then your possibilities are endless.

Brent Harvey

Brent Harvey

Reaction score
What is chroma inhibitor?

Hi Stumpf, A chroma inhibitor is a poly glycol mixed with other liquids that inhibits the color from penetrating into the monolithic as far. It has a sorta B1 coloring to it that can highlight the incisal.