Posting Pictures online

T

treehouse

Reaction score
Does anyone know what are the laws and requirements are for posting our work online. Must we get permission to post? If you are just posting a pic of a restoration that has not been placed is that different than posting a model of the patient?

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Mark is still sleeping.

He knows everything.

Al.

Al.

Reaction score
Make sure its your work and dont show faces and your probably safe.

T

treehouse

Reaction score
*** = ;o)

Al. = Its that "probably" that worrries me...

Al.

Al.

Reaction score
I don't post pics Dr send me unless they have already made it public or without their permission unless it is a Dr I know dosent mind showing his work as long as it is flattering to him like healthy gums and no blood.

Lost of people are paranoid somebody may steal their pics and use them though. I have a Dr like that and I never show his stuff. He wants to keep them to his seminars only and not floating around.

Your personal work, on the mode,l have at it. I probably have 2,000 + pics floating around of daily production stuff. Between here DT facebook and another site or two.

Some people may put their name or signature on their pics to try to protect them.

Look on Facebook, there are thousands of cases on line posted by both Drs and labs from all over the world except communist countries like China. They must not be allowed over there.
Main thing you need to worry about is not doing anything unflattering to one of your clients. Thats bad business.

I have seem my work show up places, but never seen anybody try to claim it was theres, that would get feathers ruffled.

Last edited:
TomZ

TomZ

Reaction score
JonB

JonB

Reaction score
Digimark is good - i use it too.
If you are concerned about people stealing your images - you need to look in to copyrighting your images with the Library of Congress. There are great tutorials online and if i get a chance, I'll post some links.

If using someone else's pics - you must get their permission or they can and sometimes will come after you. I have a friend that will sue for a minimum of $250,000 per image per use and since his son is an attorney, the fees are not an issue. He always wins. If you remove someone's copyright mark or digimarc - it increases the fines. I think its a minimum mandatory $25,000 if the image is copyrighted through the LOC.

If you are using your own images, it depends on the subject and how it is used. If it is newsworthy - you can get away with posting editorial content as needed. If you are showing a face - any face - its best you get a signed and witnessed model release before you post it. Even after getting the release, its best to talk to your subject to see if they are ok with your intended usage. Its best to keep peace than fight out your rights in court. Only the attorneys win that jackpot.

If you are shooting a product that you created - its likely you can post it at will. If it is a product of another company, you had better get a release. If you are posting an image that contains a recognizable building in the background - you better get a release.
Familiarize yourself with all of the companies - from Disney World to Porsche and everything on both ends to the middle that you cannot shoot. Wanna shoot a NASCAR car? Look at all the decals and tell me they aren't each copyrighted or trademarked.

Its a big deal - and while its new territory to technicians with a camera - its a well understood issue of rights to those holding the patents, copyrights and trademarks.

Never post an image of a patient or person without their written consent or a full understanding of your own exposure.