Porocity on opaque

D

Dimis

Reaction score
Hi my friends im using the classic porcelain and lately i have a porocity problem when i do opaque. Does anybody have any ideas to help?

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
I used Ivoclar Classic for awhile, but it was a long time ago. Are you using paste opaque? Are you doing a really thin wash firing or trying to cover everything in one firing?

D

Dimis

Reaction score
I used Ivoclar Classic for awhile, but it was a long time ago. Are you using paste opaque? Are you doing a really thin wash firing or trying to cover everything in one firing?
Hi my friend im doing a wash opaque and after another 3 opauques

D

Dimis

Reaction score
Do you think the metal is making the problem. Shouldnt i have had porocity on all my works? Because some works are ok

M

Mjr

Reaction score
Contamination of metal. Check your tools and don't use burs that have been used for gold etc. stick with a particular set for a particular metal. Also see instructions for degassing. The bars you sandblast at, grain size etc. hope this helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

M

manish

Reaction score
Suddenly exposing the opaquer to very high temperature can also lead to porosity.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
I'll mention it again (could be your problem, a ton of variables when this happens). First off, are you steaming your frameworks after you sandblasted them? If so, don't, put in a plastic bottle of distilled water and ultrasonic them. The new steamers on the market coat their heating element with Teflon and it contaminates the water when heated...it makes the heating element last a long time but creates havoc for us ceramists. The other issues are.... bad metal, crucible getting old, gas/oxygen ratios aren't right, porcelain oven contaminated, oils from your skin if you're touching them, too much opaque liquid, too thick of a opaque application, trays/pins contaminated, not following the manufacturers suggested protocol, degas program not high enough temp....and the list goes on my friend. Once you figure it out, please come back and post, would love to hear what the cause is.

D

Dimis

Reaction score
Mr lab guy i think you got it. I stoped steam my frames and the proplem now its the third day that i dont have problems:) thanks a lot my friend

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
Now it's Mr. Lab Guy? What's the world coming to?

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Now it's Mr. Lab Guy? What's the world coming to?

Don't hate the player, hate the game my friend...HA!!!

Glad it's working out Dimis :) To be honest, that almost made me go out of business!!! Took awhile to figure it out and I'm not the dullest tack in the box.

D

Dimis

Reaction score
Lab guy i have problem with my casts rocking on all bridges any ideas i change metal, wax , investment i start thinking that the problem might be on one of the machines that i use( furnace f

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalkfurnace or flame or i dont know what

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Well...lets see if I can be two for two today. Check out this old thread (but still applies) Dimis CLICK HERE
I don't cast much these days, but the bigger sprues and that technique has been tried and tested by many on here. Please come back and let us know.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Mr. Lab Guy,
how long can I leave potato salad in the sun before it goes bad?

Hush, you have no sun where you reside, I've been bltching about it all day!!!

ICONDENTAL

ICONDENTAL

Reaction score
Hi my friends im using the classic porcelain and lately i have a porocity problem when i do opaque. Does anybody have any ideas to help?

What is the name of the alloy using? I could help you but I need the name, Just A nikel chromium. don't help Thank you..

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
What is the name of the alloy using? I could help you but I need the name, Just A nikel chromium. don't help Thank you..

Thanks for reading the whole thread before responding.