Porcelain removal

RileyS

RileyS

Reaction score
What does everyone recommend for removing porcelain from a zirconia bridge?
I thought my conversation with the doc was to do the 2 3-unit anterior bridges out of A2. He sent it back saying it needs to be A1. So I need to get rid of the A2.
Grind off or start over with new framework?

doug

doug

Reaction score
If you're going tog othe route of starting over, you may as well put the existing bridge in porcelain stripper to see what happens. Let us know what happens.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
When Lava first came out, I built a bridge the wrong color. I put it in Strip-It to take the porcelain off. No ill effects that I am aware of. I have also put Zr in HF for a week just to see what happens. Didn't change the color
of the copings and was intact. Surface looked the same as when it went in. Not scientific, but I think you could use porcelain stripper without problems. Anyone else try it??

Fogember

Reaction score
When we were doing In-Ceram I used stripper without any problems. Haven't stripped Zr though.

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
Couldn't you just grind it off?

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Although I have never encountered this dilemma personally :cool:, I have heard :cool: that alox sandblasting to remove the porcelain works well.
Is the zirconia an A2?

A

aqdental

Reaction score
What does everyone recommend for removing porcelain from a zirconia bridge?
I thought my conversation with the doc was to do the 2 3-unit anterior bridges out of A2. He sent it back saying it needs to be A1. So I need to get rid of the A2.
Grind off or start over with new framework?
HF

RileyS

RileyS

Reaction score
If you're going tog othe route of starting over, you may as well put the existing bridge in porcelain stripper to see what happens. Let us know what happens.

How long does it soak? Never used it, does it just eat it all away or soften it up so you can lightly grind it?

Couldn't you just grind it off?

I'm afraid to much heat will be created and weaken the zirc. ????

Although I have never encountered this dilemma personally :cool:, I have heard :cool: that alox sandblasting to remove the porcelain works well.
Is the zirconia an A2?

I'll give this a shot

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
raise the pressure to 50-60 psi

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
Water cooled handpiece, or just dunk in water.

Last edited:
JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
If it was just facial cutback I would grind it back if it was full coverage I would chuck it in the trash and remill.

I have no idea where the strip it is in my lab so I would have to buy a new bottle which would take me longer than a couple of clicks of the mouse.

user name

user name

Reaction score
Did you have surface stain that will easily remove? Then play with it. Anything more...start over.

C

charles007

Reaction score
Never had that problem but I would like to know if Stripit is ok to use without any bad effects .
Will say using an A2 framework will darken the shade since porcelain is so translucent. Learned that the hard way on 3D shades.. lol
Maybe opacious dentin will help to get back to an A1 ???
Seems like the better idea is to remill/micro layer facial and be done with the case...
Design with incisal edges in solid zirconia and tell your doc this case should never chip
and last a lifetime. Give the A2 bridge to your doctor to use as a Demo for his office and maybe that
will smooth over the mistake. ;)

Last edited:
RileyS

RileyS

Reaction score
Since I don't have time to order some porcelain stripper and the framework is A2, I'm going to remill.
Thanks for all the input

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
I'd just sandblast and line it with A1 GC Initial. Why go to all that other work?