Pick Up & Delivery Charge

ParkwayDental

ParkwayDental

Reaction score
As of right now for all of our local doctors we don't charge any extra for pick up and delivery. For our out of town doctors we pay for shipping both ways.

How many labs are charging a fee for pick up and delivery and charging for shipping back and forth Questionmark

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
we do for both...separate line item. We charge a flat rate of 15 dollars per case. Naturally if they send a bunch of cases in a box, or if they send it on their dime, we'll only charge $7.50 for outgoing. I think making a separate line item on the invoice does two things...makes the staff conscience of not sending one impression per box and if you say you charge 200 hundred dollars a crown, you're not eating the shipping in the price of the crown versus if you were to charge separate for shipping.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Thank you for not charging us for that post Mr. Lab Guy.

X

XxJamesAxX

Reaction score
Separate line item, local pick up and delivery is a flat $2 per case.

If they ship to me we cover return shipment.

If we provide inbound shipping label we charge $7 per box on the outbound.

We still are eating money with these charges but atleast it helps.

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
15 per case shipping, local clients 2% surcharge over out of town clients to cover added costs.

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Reaction score
We pay shipping to/from. It's included in the price you pay for your restorations...

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
I never charge for shipping. Its included in the price. Some Drs find this is a big advantage over the nickel and dimers.. which I cant stand.

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
I think with removable you price to absorb the shipping is quite hard to look competitive when you do not line item.

Think of it this way you have 4 appointments for a simple full denture, the case is heavy and requires a bigger than average box is you mount on simple articulators. It will cost you at least 100 for the 8 trips this case must take. This price is with a good Discount with ups or using the flat rate with the post office.

X

XxJamesAxX

Reaction score
I think with removable you price to absorb the shipping is quite hard to look competitive when you do not line item.

Think of it this way you have 4 appointments for a simple full denture, the case is heavy and requires a bigger than average box is you mount on simple articulators. It will cost you at least 100 for the 8 trips this case must take. This price is with a good Discount with ups or using the flat rate with the post office.

Exactly! I've had to explain this to accounts many times.

We bill everything a la carte. To me for removables it's the only way it makes sense. You get billed for what you ask for and the services we provide. Nothing more nothing less.

Example send back a reset. Depending on the situation/scenario we may or may not charge for the reset, but the shipping charge in nonnegotiable.

To much money can be lost in a hurry!

KentPWalton

KentPWalton

Reaction score
I think that it's good to figure out how much your shipping and local delivery cost is

per year and divide it up into the number of units you do per year and add it to the

final cost of the restoration. In my experience, Dr's don't like to be charged more

and complain a lot about shipping. One less thing for them not to complain about!

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
I look at it this way.. most everyone in my small town uses glidewell at one time or another.. who will charge 7-15$ per box. Without having to compete on their product price, you can compete on shipping alone which can run $100+/month just for shipping. Its no big deal for me to run pickups for free.. its no more than 5 miles round trip.. Not to mention you keep your smiling face at the front desk as much as possible.. which mail order labs cant compete with.

ParkwayDental

ParkwayDental

Reaction score
Just to give y'all a idea our average UPS bill runs us around 3k. Our gas for local pick and delivery plus maintenance on cars is another 2k. So we average 5k a month for shipping/pickup and delivery.

Tayebdental

Tayebdental

Tayeb S. CDT
Donator
Reaction score
ab

Last edited:
KentPWalton

KentPWalton

Reaction score
$60K a year on delivery and pickup and shipping. Figure out your percentage and raise your

prices by that much and offer free pickup and delivery and shipping. Done.

X

XxJamesAxX

Reaction score
Obviously there's mixed opinions on this and either way works but IMO for you to line item a shipping charge and send out a letter stating reasons for now collecting a delivery fee will go over better then just a straight price increase. My 2 cents...

When we first opened we didn't charge anything either, when we added the delivery fee we heard less complaints then we have heard when doing price increases

jthacke3

jthacke3

Reaction score
We charge for freight (flat rate per case) when a doctor begins sending work, then offer free shipping later for high volume customers who save money by bundling cases. We offer free shipping as a "reward" for high volume, loyal customers. Its one of several tools we used to build loyalty for our best customers--it makes them feel like they are getting a deal that others aren't, which they are.

elitedentalstudio

elitedentalstudio

Reaction score
We charge $3.50 for local 20mile radius . and just ship ups outside that area $8 ground. Overnight next day is $25 . easy and no one complains.

mtwinste

mtwinste

Reaction score
Here's a thought. The lab who picked up 55,000 units this week charged every case $14 round trip shipping. Guess who that is....

KentPWalton

KentPWalton

Reaction score
I guess it's all in how you train your customers.

I've seen it to where they complain about shipping to they don't care.

KentPWalton

KentPWalton

Reaction score
Here's a thought. The lab who picked up 55,000 units this week charged every case $14 round trip shipping. Guess who that is....

Nice Matt. Gotta cover it some how.