Origin scanner

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
Nick, your awesome lol. Anybody with a party barge that runs 60mph is ok in my book! Had a blast talking to ya. The live well thing sounds like a plan;)

Patrick, we definitely need to hang out in California. Had a lot of fun and you really need to start posting photos of your work on here. Your a true artist and people would enjoy seeing it. B& D guys thought you were great too.

YSM, exocad is easily capable of veneers. I do them all the time for wax printing. No problems.

Exocad has updates but so far....B&D have not charged any of their customers for it;) if you have the locked version they cover everything anyway. Worst case scenario is 900 bucks.

I heard the 3shape tech was showing their new mirroring feature, which exocad has had for quite awhile. It's a shame his computer froze and crashed during the demo.....

Someone also mentioned the fact that they understand why exocad has to play catch up to 3shape with things like the virtual articulator? 3shape announces stuff that they will not offer for like another year. Exocad had the articulator module available long before 3shape.

Wouldn't it be crazy if exocad had a way to make use of the 3shape d700 and 710 scanner after the 3shape license ran out.................. Make it a true multi die scanning system......which it is not right now......;). More to come;)

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
These are the base indications for exocad without the extra modules.

Anatomic crowns
Anatomic copings
Offset copings
Bridge frameworks
Inlays
Onlays
Veneers
Waxup digital copy milling
Waxup-based frameworks
Primary telescope
Optimized for laser melting and wax printing

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
I re read my last few posts. I sound like I'm really attacking 3shape. It's obviously a very capable system as well. There is so much Misinformation about what exocad can't do and what 3shape can. I'm a big exocad fan as you can probably tell but I don't want to be looked at as one of those guys constantly trashing others. A lot of hard work has gone into both systems. I have good reasons, to me anyway, for making my choice. Not a single reason was price related.

I do get caught up in the competition between capable systems. But in a fun, positive way. Not that I hope one system fails etc.

Just wanted to clarify;)

I got to hang out briefly with Tillmann Steinbrecher, the individual who developed Exocad. 33 years old. He is just getting started. He has so many big plans for the future and did a quick demo of his new bar module. Unbelievable! It will be interesting to see where exocad is in another year or two.

J

JerL

Reaction score
Hi NicelyMKV,

At Ecole Polytechnique de Montreal we have a few ongoing projects that are dental-related and we are trying to find out if Exocad could help us.

Exocad doesn't give a lot of details about their software on their website and you seem to have a good amount of experience with it so i would have a few questions for you if you don't mind.

1) Tooth Libraries: a. Is it possible to customize the number and position of control points used to locally transform each tooth? b. Is it possible to import our own tooth library and add control points?

2) Veneer and crown design: a. Can Exocad generate a veneer proposition based on a specified margin and a specified tooth for correlation? b. Is it possible to customize the number and position of control points of the generated veneer to make adjustments?

3)CAD Data import: a.Is every version of Exocad locked to a scanner, or is there an open version of Exocad that can be used with an STL of the stone model obtained with any scanner? (We only have a Dental Wings scanner as of now) b. Is it possible to import other geometrical data, such as points, planes, surfaces, etc. in STL format?

4)Data Export: a.Is it possible to export every structure designed in Exocad as an STL file?

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
1) Tooth Libraries: a. Is it possible to customize the number and position of control points used to locally transform each tooth? b. Is it possible to import our own tooth library and add control points?

Yes, you have to have separate software to do this though. You can create your own or alter the existing library. The software needed runs you through a series of steps with each tooth so you can select the area manipulated by each design selection etc.

2) Veneer and crown design: a. Can Exocad generate a veneer proposition based on a specified margin and a specified tooth for correlation? b. Is it possible to customize the number and position of control points of the generated veneer to make adjustments?

Exocad has a mirroring feature which allows you to match the adjacent quadrant tooth. I may be misunderstanding about the margin. You select the margin for the veneer as you would any other restoration type supported by Exocad. It will then go through the normal steps for the crown design. You select 4 points on the margin starting out for veneer designs. It really helps the system select the margin correctly and keeps you from having to do any custom margin manipulation.

3)CAD Data import: a.Is every version of Exocad locked to a scanner, or is there an open version of Exocad that can be used with an STL of the stone model obtained with any scanner? (We only have a Dental Wings scanner as of now) b. Is it possible to import other geometrical data, such as points, planes, surfaces, etc. in STL format?

Exocad requires a dongle containing the license to be plugged into the USB port of the computer being used. The scanner has no tie to it.

You can import attachments etc but they have to be signed. I am not sure about how to import shapes and other non standard structures. I am not sure how Exocad would know what it was or how to manipulate it. I will see what I can dig up for you;)

4)Data Export: a.Is it possible to export every structure designed in Exocad as an STL file?

The finished design, upper jaw, lower jaw, separate gingiva scan etc, are all saved as STL files in the patients design file.

Hope I was able to answer a few of your questions. I keep finding more and more capabilities of this software everyday;)

Jason

Last edited:
J

JerL

Reaction score
Hi Jason,

Your insight is very helpful. I would have a few more questions if you don't mind:

Yes, you have to have separate software to do this though. You can create your own or alter the existing library. The software needed runs you through a series of steps with each tooth so you can select the area manipulated by each design selection etc.

That's great. Could you please give me the name of that software? Maybe we could start working with while we wait for our Exocad license.

Exocad has a mirroring feature which allows you to match the adjacent quadrant tooth. I may be misunderstanding about the margin. You select the margin for the veneer as you would any other restoration type supported by Exocad. It will then go through the normal steps for the crown design. You select 4 points on the margin starting out for veneer designs. It really helps the system select the margin correctly and keeps you from having to do any custom margin manipulation.

The mirroring feature seems promising. What I meant to say about the margin is that I'd like to know if Exocad can model veneers on different kinds of teeth preparations, and even on teeth with no preparation at all?

Exocad requires a dongle containing the license to be plugged into the USB port of the computer being used. The scanner has no tie to it.

You can import attachments etc but they have to be signed. I am not sure about how to import shapes and other non standard structures. I am not sure how Exocad would know what it was or how to manipulate it. I will see what I can dig up for you;)

If you have the time, could you try to import these 2 STL files in Exocad, and if it works, send me a screenshot? One is a stone model, the other is a simple plane.

https://www.yousendit.com/download/M3BtQmtUQzcyWGU1aWNUQw

https://www.yousendit.com/download/M3BtQmtUQzdOMURyZHNUQw

The plane or other geometry we would like to import wouldn't need to be manipulated. They would only serve as reference points to make measurements.

The finished design, upper jaw, lower jaw, separate gingiva scan etc, are all saved as STL files in the patients design file.

Great! Exocad seems to be very powerful and to allow the flexibility we need.

Thanks for your help!

Jerome

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
No prep veneer with exocad. Keep sending me stuff to try! Helps me learn more about the system:)
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1331218043.162488.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1331218053.331733.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1331218062.815112.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1331218070.026664.jpg

J

JerL

Reaction score
No prep veneer with exocad. Keep sending me stuff to try! Helps me learn more about the system:)

Great, that's what we're looking for!

Now, this is a long shot but do you know if there are "touch up" tools to make small modifications to teeth (addition/removal of small amounts of material) directly on the STL of the stone model, like you would find in a more mainstream CAD software such as CATIA?

Also, do you have the name of the external software that you use for adding/customizing tooth libraries?

Thanks!

Jerome

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
Jerome, you can edit anything on the screen;) I just did some quick smoothing and additions on your model to show. I will get the name of the software for tooth library design. I have it but no name attached to it;)
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1331301739.509223.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1331301747.751879.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1331301754.997073.jpg

L

LifeLike

Reaction score
Thats kinda cool , anyone else find thierself trying to rotate the models in the pics to get a better view!

M

macminn

Reaction score
So with Exocad is it possible to save your own tooth libraries? If so, how? I've been playing around with it for a while, and can't find how to do it.

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
This is the software for tooth library creation.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1331644478.091069.jpg

M

macminn

Reaction score
OK, where is that in the software? Or is that a stand alone software package?

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
Stand alone program. I am not sure if it is something for sale or not. I will find out.

J

JerL

Reaction score
This is the software for tooth library creation.

I'll definitely have to get my hands on that software!

I'm not sure if we'll be able to get an Exocad developer licence though, which would be ideal. In any case, I know the Origin version of Exocad can do the trick.

Thanks Jason, you really covered all I needed to know! Now I will have to test it myself...