orange peel texture on emax pressing

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
You would be surprised. So many times, I see labs get into a faulty routine. Unbeknownst to them, they cover up their problems with solutions that end up creating a more complex troubleshooting scenario down the road. Sometimes also costing them more money.
Stop talking about me! Geeez.... Lol

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
You would be surprised. So many times, I see labs get into a faulty routine. Unbeknownst to them, they cover up their problems with solutions that end up creating a more complex troubleshooting scenario down the road. Sometimes also costing them more money.
i suppose you are right, chris. over the years i too have seen labs just in a rut of their own doing.

RileyS

RileyS

Reaction score
So I have been having the orange peel problem since day one with my oven and have spent quite a bit time on the phone for help and following the instruction given. Every change I have made makes no difference to the amount of orange peel I get.
Does this look bad? Am I making too big a fuss about it? Oven only completes a 200 gr ring press 50% of the time
Screenshot_2014-05-27-19-21-16.png Screenshot_2014-05-27-19-21-42.png

Last edited:
Gru

Gru

Reaction score
Yes, that is too much. They shouldn't be that way. Be glad to try to help if you want, PM me.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
what changes have you made? In the investment?

RileyS

RileyS

Reaction score
Oven temperature changes made in both burnout and press. Tried zubler even though from Microstar just a finer powder I guess? Tried using DebubbleIser and not using it. Alox and disposable plungers. Been keeping track of where in the burnout oven rings are placed...so on and so on.....so far no changes from one thing to the other.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
To me it looks like the e.max/investment is too hot, I would try turning down my final temp 5C, then 10C, then hold time in that order.

RileyS

RileyS

Reaction score
Thanks Rob. That's my next step.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
have you tried a longer benchset? are you using printed wax?

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
I got a new burnout oven and getting perfect pressings every time now?;)

If you never make a decision then your possibilities are endless.

RileyS

RileyS

Reaction score
I got a new burnout oven and getting perfect pressings every time now?;)

were you having problems with orange peel or mispresses/ short presses? and perfect presses in both your ovens( wink wink)?

If that's going to be the fix that sucks, I need to buy abutment software and scan bodies :(

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
I was having all of the above. I went with the large ibex single point oven and so far I have had zero issues? Solely using my Zubler oven right now.

Zubler investment with 20 liquids and 5 distilled waters per 100grams.

15 second hand mix, 10 seconds under vac without mixing and then 1 minute under vac while mixing.

20 minute bench set and straight in at 1562F. I normally work in Celsius but the ibex is in Fahrenheit.

35 minutes in burnout with an additional 10 minutes per ring.

So far everything has been great? Only change was my burnout oven. Neytech small form factor.

RileyS

RileyS

Reaction score
GgrrrBanghead

You want to save me a phone call and tell me how much that oven cost?​

ps2thtec

ps2thtec

Donator
Reaction score
Get yourself a SuperRing. In fact get two. Greatest thing since .......

Years ago I was burning out at 1600F. Was told the higher heat made investment harder. Whatever. Never saw orange peel like that. Dontknow I've been burning out at 1562 for a couple years now.
PCI Investment.

Have you calibrated your burnout oven?

Here's what I get done with my 100gm super ring.
image.jpg image.jpg

user name

user name

Reaction score
High burnout temps can create problems.
I was having all of the above. I went with the large ibex single point oven and so far I have had zero issues? Solely using my Zubler oven right now.

Zubler investment with 20 liquids and 5 distilled waters per 100grams.

15 second hand mix, 10 seconds under vac without mixing and then 1 minute under vac while mixing.

20 minute bench set and straight in at 1562F. I normally work in Celsius but the ibex is in Fahrenheit.

35 minutes in burnout with an additional 10 minutes per ring.

So far everything has been great? Only change was my burnout oven. Neytech small form factor.

I use Zubler investment too. My ratio on e.max is 17+8, bench set 13 minutes, pop the ring off and into the oven at 845. 1 hour hold.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
GgrrrBanghead

You want to save me a phone call and tell me how much that oven cost?​
the Ibex are quite inexpensive. i have the smaller ibex single point and love it.

RileyS

RileyS

Reaction score
Get yourself a SuperRing. In fact get two. Greatest thing since .......

Years ago I was burning out at 1600F. Was told the higher heat made investment harder. Whatever. Never saw orange peel like that. Dontknow I've been burning out at 1562 for a couple years now.
PCI Investment.

Have you calibrated your burnout oven?

Here's what I get done with my 100gm super ring.
View attachment 16178 View attachment 16180
I calibrate each month in hopes of curing the prob or not letting it worsen. I've always been interested in the super ring. so you use it just like a 200 gr ring?

ps2thtec

ps2thtec

Donator
Reaction score
I calibrate each month in hopes of curing the prob or not letting it worsen. I've always been interested in the super ring. so you use it just like a 200 gr ring?
It does the work just like a 200gm. Need to set up an individual program so you soak the pellet 20 min, not 15 like the 100 is set up. All other parameters are same.

ps2thtec

ps2thtec

Donator
Reaction score
My ratio is 25. Not sure what the 26 is about. image.jpg