Opinions on scanners/3d printers

C

CountryDentalLab

Reaction score
Hello everyone, new to the site and thanks for having me. Looking into dipping our feet into digital. We are a small two man lab currently very old school in our methods. What scanner and/or 3d printer would you suggest for getting our feet wet? Not looking to work for the next 20 yrs to pay it off...

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, new to the site and thanks for having me. Looking into dipping our feet into digital. We are a small two man lab currently very old school in our methods. What scanner and/or 3d printer would you suggest for getting our feet wet? Not looking to work for the next 20 yrs to pay it off...
What do you want to accomplish that you want digital to help accomplish. Start there. The purpose. THen the machine, then the best reseller/support for that machine.

Any digital tech TCO should ROI well before the 5th year of ownership. At 5 years most of this stuff is dumpster food.

Greetings Earthling! Welcome!

C

CountryDentalLab

Reaction score
Looking for a scanner to scan impressions and models. Want a printer to print models as well as dentures and partials. Saw there was a new printer that has the ability to print flex....interested in that. Not too worried about speed, just accuracy.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Looking for a scanner to scan impressions and models. Want a printer to print models as well as dentures and partials. Saw there was a new printer that has the ability to print flex....interested in that. Not too worried about speed, just accuracy.
This is where I go "Idunno" and one of the resident geniuses chimes in. Stick around. We make cookies in the autoclave every 7th wednesday in June.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
don't try scanning impressions. it doesn't work.

medit T series scanner

but to accomplish the goals you set out i'm going to recommend you to buy also Exocad, and 3 different printers: one printer for models. this will have enough work to do that standing around waiting to change resin and do dentures or whatever else will be a lot of wasted time. buy an additional printer for denture bases.

for denture teeth, not recommending you do make them out of printable resin just now, unless you like monochrome teeth, in which case i'd recommend shopping for resin because not all of them come out well.

bigj1972

bigj1972

Reaction score
Don't get involved is my advise. After reading the bio on your website, you seem happy. So stay that way.
If you want to dip your feet, buy a scanner. Past that, the idea of digital removable starts to break down.

MrMolar

MrMolar

Reaction score
as CHL said, don't scan impressions. it just doesn't work. the labs that have done it have spent immense time dialing in every little thing to make it work. I used to work for a lab in Mormon Central that went all digital after opening back up from COVID. seemed to be doing well last I saw, but they also spent a solid year plus working on dialing everything in to make it work. they were also picky enough that the doctors who were sending them physical impressions were actually taking good impressions, so they had that working for them too.

if you're going to use the printer as a producer, then you're going to have to spend some money to make it worth while. whilst formlabs is relatively cheap, and accurate, you dont get the speed. the printer we have cost us about $25k. prints the same amount of models that we were printing on the Form2, in 1/10 the time.

shop, shop, and shop some more. if you've never used a printer before, then definitely get a cheapo one from amazon to just try until you get comfortable with it. if you're familiar with resin printers, then go all in, and get something that is going to last you.

@JMN makes the best autoclave cookies.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
as CHL said, don't scan impressions. it just doesn't work. the labs that have done it have spent immense time dialing in every little thing to make it work. I used to work for a lab in Mormon Central that went all digital after opening back up from COVID. seemed to be doing well last I saw, but they also spent a solid year plus working on dialing everything in to make it work. they were also picky enough that the doctors who were sending them physical impressions were actually taking good impressions, so they had that working for them too.

if you're going to use the printer as a producer, then you're going to have to spend some money to make it worth while. whilst formlabs is relatively cheap, and accurate, you dont get the speed. the printer we have cost us about $25k. prints the same amount of models that we were printing on the Form2, in 1/10 the time.

shop, shop, and shop some more. if you've never used a printer before, then definitely get a cheapo one from amazon to just try until you get comfortable with it. if you're familiar with resin printers, then go all in, and get something that is going to last you.

@JMN makes the best autoclave cookies.
Incisal chip.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
Incisal chip.
jqnga04keo671.gif

S

sirmorty

Reaction score
You can scan some impressions but they need to be good. Then just add a stone die of the prep to the scan for the margins. I have had some success doing that. Especially if it's a time sensitive case. I'm talking just quadrant dentistry.

I still prefer to scan a model if given the choice but I'm old school and have some trust issues with digital at times even though I have being doing digital since the Procera Mod40 touch probe days.

But don't get me wrong, digital is so much more efficient but when things go wrong, it can be hard to pinpoint where.

eddydy

eddydy

Reaction score
Hello
I would like to share my thoughts and my own experience on how and when I thought it's time to jump into digital dentistry.
I've been following the digital progress for few years, educating myself extensively and attending the Chicago dental meeting for the past few years.

I decided that the day one of my doctors asks me me if I accept digital scans would be the day when I should make the move.
About a year ago, 3 of my clients asked me that question, by then I had a clear idea which equipment and software I wanted to buy.
I got me a Medit t710 with the Exocad ultimate software package, Ultimate means all different modules included, and the Asiga Max for the printer.

8 months later, I can say I'm extremely happy with my purchase but I would like to give you an advice about something I wish I knew at the time when I made my purchase

I run a fairly busy removable lab, when Covid19 started, I lost my 2 employees and suddenly became a one man lab., and because I'm very limited with time, I realized that I don't have time to use Exocad to it's fullest capabilities.
My advice would be, buy a scanner and a printer but hold off on the software, there are few free ones out there that will do as good of a job as those pricey ones, I'll name few:
-Meshmixer

-Blue Sky Bio

-Blender for Dental, this one requires small fees for different modules.

-ZIRKONZAHN.TRAY , this one offers a free module for custom tray fabrication only.

Once you become familiar with digital, then you can decide on buying Exocad or 3shape or whatever.

Thanks

R

Rockit1

Reaction score
Don't get involved is my advise. After reading the bio on your website, you seem happy. So stay that way.
If you want to dip your feet, buy a scanner. Past that, the idea of digital removable starts to break down.
I agree…scanner first.

P

PSC

Reaction score
I'm curious if anyone knows of a digital impression scanning service where I can send the impressions and get the STL files. If so, what is the typical cost per case?