non prep veneers?

R

rabia

Reaction score
did anybody hear about non-preparation veneers that can be produced in the lab?? its the new trend and everybody is asking for it!!! i know Lumineer and Glamsmile is a business between the dentist and the company itself..

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Dentistry's equivelent to the triple d breast implant!

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Dentistry's equivelent to the triple d breast implant!

That was a great visual, thanks :)

Yep, most of us do them.........whether it's with e.max, empress esthetic, or feldspathic using platinum foil or refractory models/dies......Some of the folks on here do them everyday.

R

rabia

Reaction score
but is it strong enough to do them from Imax?? i thought there is a preparation guide for veneers was recommended from Ivoclar?! plus i have to guarantee and convince my client that its okay! i know there are some labs here who use Imax and they give them a different name like (qualineer or viniplus) but they insist on not telling the client that its only Imax! instead they say its their own secret technique!!! is that a fraud or what? i am confused!!!

A

AL1

Reaction score
When I worked as a lab tech at the University of Wash. dental school , I worked with a Phd. in civil engineering, he was our dental materials research person.I asked him about the strength of veneers. He said you get a wallpaper effect.
The veneer is as strong as the bond and the tooth it is bonded to, just like wallpaper is to a wall.

v2thmaster

v2thmaster

Reaction score
We did non prep veneers few weeks ago 8-11. I used emax HT BL2, they were very thin 0.2-0.3. About the name, you can " name" the type of restoration anything you want just make sure not to use register name and you have to disclose material used upon request the only thing client care is the result. Our case went in from the first time with no adjustments, patient was very happy. Make sure that your doc "bond" them.

Got e.max?

Toast

Toast

Reaction score
Here's what Ivoclar states in the IFU manual regarding thin/no prep veneers:

– If possible, the preparation should be located in the enamel.
– The incisal preparation margins should not be located in the area of static or dynamic occlusal contact.
– The minimum layer thickness of the thin veneer in the cervical and labial area is 0.3 mm. A restoration thick- ness of 0.4 mm must be planned at the incisal edge.
– If there is enough space, preparation is not necessary.

sixonice

sixonice

Reaction score
Here's what Ivoclar states in the IFU manual regarding thin/no prep veneers:

– If possible, the preparation should be located in the enamel.
– The incisal preparation margins should not be located in the area of static or dynamic occlusal contact.
– The minimum layer thickness of the thin veneer in the cervical and labial area is 0.3 mm. A restoration thick- ness of 0.4 mm must be planned at the incisal edge.
– If there is enough space, preparation is not necessary.

Perfectly stated above. you can press thin or "no-prep" veneers with e.max if you like. You have to press them at .3mm (to get a good, clean complete pressing) but it is possible to thin them down another tenth of a millimeter or more (just go slow, wet grind and be careful) and have predictable success. the lithium disilicate is a strong material able to withstand being ultra-thin. somebody also mentioned that the dentist BOND them in. 100% correct! Just get as much info from the dentist as possible including the prep shade and the final shade to help choose your ingot.
the folks saying their veneers are one thing and giving another are opening a huge "can of worms" if something were to go wrong or if the dentist had the material evaluated. they are asking for huge problems. here is the checklist for restoration selection criteria with the e.max- Ivoclar Vivadent | The World Speaks e.max

P

paulg100

Reaction score
still dont really get this no-prep veneer thing.

how many cases actually come along that are truly suitable for no-prep veneers.

the last "no-prep" case i did had rotated and miss aligned teeth as many veener cases do. The appearance looked practically the same once the veneers were finished as i couldnt really change anything due to the lack of tooth reduction.

Another constant problem is black triangles due to lack of seperation with this approach.

Another constant problem is very minimal control over colour masking due to the thickness of the veeneer.

I would say mabey 5% of veneer cases we receive are truly suitable for no-prep veneers and even then there is the question of ethetics as many of these can be corrected by short term ortho (invisilign or similar),with no tooth reduction and lower treatment cost.

Or am i missing something?