Needs help adding a new tool in Sum3D

C

ChristianKim

Reaction score
Hello guys. I'm a new member here and very new to this CAD/CAM field.
I have read a few forum threads here and already astonished by overwhelming information shared.
I need help to do a small task I'm eagerly trying to do.
I sent the same email to Cimsystem to get a technical support.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Recently I purchased a milling bur from Mastercut Dental tool corp.
It's a 0.6mm diameter diamond-coated bur for Roland DWX-50.
The tool shape info is HERE.

Now I'm having a very difficult time adding this new tool in SUM3D and make it run on Roland DWX-50.
I somehow managed adding this tool to the tool archive. (putting to the tool info to the tool archive. I don't even know if I did it right.)
but I can't make the milling strategy/importing machining parameters(.cfg file) with it at the end of the nesting stage. Can anyone help me with this?
I've asked dealers, friends, milling companies, and either they don't know anything about tool adding/making milling strategy or they don't use SUM3D.

I'm using SUM3D 2014 version and I've been doing all the previous millings using someone else's setting (pre-made milling strategies from Japan so I can't even open and edit cfg file. :/)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please help Meeeeeee!
Is there any CAM classes near CA? I want to learn so badly.

P

Pfeonix

Reaction score
Try to rename the .cfg file into the .cam file and open it in sum3d, you will see strategy which you will be able to edit, now you can add steps to strategy necessary to you and register a mill necessary to you 0.6 in strategy, before it it is necessary for you CORRECTLY! to register this mill in sum3d, registration of new mills becomes through the "tool room" menu, you need to bring the correct sizes of a mill and the correct modes of giving and speed of turns of a spindle, try to request these data from the manufacturer of this mill, be accurate, mistakes at this stage can bring to: to breakage of the tool, breakage of materials of milling, breakage of your CNC of the machine.
You thrust the head into a rabbit hole:).
[Mod edit: removed chunk in Russian that appeared to be a copy paste error by request of Pfeonix]

Last edited by a moderator:
C

ChristianKim

Reaction score
Thank you so much Pfeonix. It's much harder than I expected. Yes..I see the rabbit snarling and grinding teeth at me.:oops:
There are too much risk to take at this moment to touch this rabbit for me. I guess I need to learn how to register the correct data and to use the "tool room" menu first. Is there any education source that I can refer to? like a basic course about making milling strategies and editing tool params?

P

Pfeonix

Reaction score
Of course is! Beginning of a way this careful studying manual! This file at you in the program, and it contains all necessary for a start. Further you ask more detailed knowledge from the dealer of the program, or at the cimsystem developer they by the way are present at this forum, or at users of it or other forums. Still there is a file under the name "magic words" of team in it for strategy creation, it is simple to find it in network or at the dealer.

C

ChristianKim

Reaction score
I'll definitely check out all the things you mentioned above. Thanks a lot.

Top Bottom