Modifying Tool Libraries with Millbox Argen edition?

T

tuyere

Solutions
Reaction score
Howdy,
We're interested in modifying the toolset Millbox22's Argen edition comes pre-configured with; not only would it be nice to add third-party tooling with geometries that differ from what Argen sells, their strategies also annoyingly call for tools they no longer seem to supply on their Canadian site, like square endmills for cleaning up implant interfaces and the like. Not sure how we'd go about this, procedurally for Millbox I mean- I know what's generally involved in defining new tool geometries and the like from other CAM software.
I'm also not sure if doing so is of any use to us without having the full strategy editor- currently "assign tool to operation" and some other features are greyed out no matter what we do, I'm not sure if it's because we don't have the full software package or because Argen's version of things is stopping us from editing their strategies.

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
It is prolly not possible with your version... BTW you can use tools which have longer reach than the one configured for

T

tuyere

Solutions
Reaction score
It is prolly not possible with your version... BTW you can use tools which have longer reach than the one configured for
This is what I'm worried about. I'd gladly switch from the Argen-badged version to plain-jane Millbox if that's the case, even if I have to configure it for Argen tools myself, but I'm assuming you can't just switch between versions arbitrarily.

T

tuyere

Solutions
Reaction score
Update on this: called up Argen, their support's only recommendation was to call our vendor and ask for the version to be reverted to normal Millbox, lol. The argen version is legit locked down and you can't add new tools or modify milling strategies.
The actual tool etc data is stored in plaintext configuration files, so it's not *impossible*, you just can't do it with a nice software UI making it simple. I'm still going to change the assigned tool number for the 3mm single-flute roughing mill, because it has been assigned to 15, so you can't keep the calibration pin in its designated slot. What a great tool library, thanks Argen.

M

MrNeverFixit

Reaction score
Update on this: called up Argen, their support's only recommendation was to call our vendor and ask for the version to be reverted to normal Millbox, lol. The argen version is legit locked down and you can't add new tools or modify milling strategies.
The actual tool etc data is stored in plaintext configuration files, so it's not *impossible*, you just can't do it with a nice software UI making it simple. I'm still going to change the assigned tool number for the 3mm single-flute roughing mill, because it has been assigned to 15, so you can't keep the calibration pin in its designated slot. What a great tool library, thanks Argen.
i used to use Argen, getting tired of it and i switch to open version (i.e. customizable). Don't want to get locked with them anymore. Even their tools are expensive, 144$ a piece diamond zirconia bur, its probably higher now. Plus they had all their merchandise prices increase since if im not mistaken they raise to a few percent.