Looking for Lab Milled e.max who should I send it to?

queenp

queenp

Reaction score
A couple of years ago I tried some milled e.max and didn't think it could compare to the results we were getting with pressed e.max, with the marginal integrity and the esthetics of the material. I'm hoping that this has improved and I'm looking for suggestions for where to try sending them now? I'd like a company that is using the advanced milling strategy with the .3 burs. I am using 3shape.
thanks

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
What kind of preps are you getting? Milled will never do a feather edge. Chamfered margins come out nice.

queenp

queenp

Reaction score
usually chamfers or shoulders. do they offer MT and HT now? who are you using? i don't want to do it in house at this point.

E

edwarddental

Reaction score
Ivoclar/Wieland milling center

RileyS

RileyS

Reaction score
I tried CMC and they failed to get me set up right from the beginning as far as parameters go and so had some nightmares. Pretty unhappy with them for that reason and haven't tried them since. I'd love to know if you find a good place though. Maybe CMC is good and I'm just tainted for now

J

John C

Reaction score
I would like to know this as well. I don't have a pressing oven but have a scanner and exocad. I have been waxing myself and a local lab presses for me but looking for a good milling center to do it. Scanning and designing is faster than hand waxing. Anyone tried Core 3D Centre for their emax milled crown?

G

GarryB

Reaction score
I would like to know this as well. I don't have a pressing oven but have a scanner and exocad. I have been waxing myself and a local lab presses for me but looking for a good milling center to do it. Scanning and designing is faster than hand waxing. Anyone tried Core 3D Centre for their emax milled crown?

Why not scan and design in wax and then get your local lab to press this for you in e.max?

We do this with all our e.max now as you are so right that its so much quicker to scan and design rather rthan hand wax.

J

John C

Reaction score
Why not scan and design in wax and then get your local lab to press this for you in e.max?

We do this with all our e.max now as you are so right that its so much quicker to scan and design rather rthan hand wax.
I don't have a mill

G

GarryB

Reaction score
I don't have a mill

I got that from you looking for a milling centre for your e.max.

We don't have a mill either but we scan and design in-house, outsource the mill to wax and then press in-house.

This would raise the question, why not just mill e.max.....but as said above, you can't mill a feathered margin.

Was just trying to offer some options.

J

John C

Reaction score
Thanks. I appreciate it. Mainly its turn around time that keeps me from doing that. If I design and have my milling center mill it in wax it adds two days. Also the local lab only presses LT ingots. Would like to have other options. I once asked them to press an MO ingot and they didn't even know what that was. Just looking for other ootions.

C

charles007

Reaction score
A number of years ago I used Dental Arts Lab with zero issues, and now using Tad a fellow dln member/ Precision Milled Ceramics..
Never had problems with milled emax on feather edge margins,,,, Crowns came back with razor sharp margins with great margin integrity.
Do I think pressed is more accurate than milled,,, Yes if I wax, I invest, and I press on any style of prep, BUT milled is more than acceptable once
you find the right lab. Yes I have seen crappy milled and pressed emax like everyone else....;)
My opinion, emax cad looks a little nicer than press for whatever reason.

Last edited:
J

John C

Reaction score
A number of years ago I used Dental Arts Lab with zero issues, and now using Tad a fellow dln member/ Precision Milled Ceramics..
Never had problems with milled emax on feather edge margins,,,, Crowns came back with razor sharp margins with great margin integrity.
Do I think pressed is more accurate than milled,,, Yes if I wax, I invest, and I press on any style of prep, BUT milled is more than acceptable once
you find the right lab. Yes I have seen crappy milled and pressed emax like everyone else....;)
My opinion, emax cad looks a little nicer than press for whatever reason.
If you can get a good accurate mill it seems it might be nicer as there is no problem with crystal misalignment from spruing, reaction layers and porosity.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
Tad @ precision milling has done a good job.

RileyS

RileyS

Reaction score
Nice! I didn't know he was milling e.max cad! I'll contact him

C

charles007

Reaction score
Tad does a nice job milling emax in various blocks, and Tad presses emax if needed..........

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
Curious to hear the costs that anyone with a small mill is charging for this. From a business stand point I am pretty sure there is NO money to be made milling for another lab when you factor all the wear and tear and tooling. The life span on the spindle alone is cut almost 2/3 I have heard on the small mills.

Glass is very pricy to make money with milling wise.

Maybe someone can teach me something, I am all ears

H

herb

Reaction score
Core3d uses HAAS Office mills.
The spindles last forever and not an issue.

Very low profit....but still a small profit.

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
Core3d uses HAAS Office mills.
The spindles last forever and not an issue.

Very low profit....but still a small profit.

The HAAS unit is still a substantial machine compared to the table top mills many are using today such as MC-X5 by sirona or Wieland Select.

Also what kills these mills is that many are using them for both wet and dry which just is nuts if you are swapping them same day.

Oh well I am rambling again

ts4341

ts4341

Reaction score
Thanks Charles & Derek.. I do mill for Emax for labs, I just dont advertise it.. John has very good point;)
The profit margins is not great. So, tieing up the mill for a lot of Emax customers isn't really what I want.
A select few DLN memebers is good.
We use the MCX5 and use either a fine mill or a extra fine mill(.6mm bur for greater detail) We use the fine mill
on 90% of the cases. The margins and fit are excellent.. I have used the other in the past(Haas, Weiland) these
are pretty good.. I just think MCX5 margins are a little better.. We very rarely press anything anymore.
Also, the MCX5 is a certified mill for Emax blocks.. As I am sure Weiland is.
Funny thing is, recently I got towatch and listen to Dr. Sameer Puri & Dr. Ed McLaren demonstrate the MC XL, Omni Cam and SW15 software.
It was apparent margins were not important to these guys. I told Dr. Puri that my MCX5 takes around 40 mins to
mill a single unit. His quote was "I dont have time for that" they whip and rip em out on the MC XL in 15 mins.
I looked at the margins and was shocked they seat these in the mouth.. Also, I watch Puri design a 6 unit venner
case they prepped and then scanned with Omni Cam. They designed the case with the SW 15 inlab software. ( I have the
X5 scanner and SW 15.1 software, so i was very aware of what he was doing) I was amazed as I saw him struggle to
find and define margins with the software.. The Omni wasn't picking them up in detail.. So, with a room full of Doctors
he created his own margins by guessing were that margin were... WOW.. So, Dr McLaren's fix to get these to
seat was, make the die spacer/gap 1mm from the margin extremely tight and then thicken the margin area 1 mm of the restoration.
So the doctor could then use a fine diamond bur and relieve the inside of the Veneer and polish down the
margin to make them fit.. WTF! I was shocked, I couldn't believe this is were dentistry is heading??? Patients are the one
who will suffer from this crappy dentistry, as the dentists go to the bank on them. I had to leave after that, I could believe
what I was seeing.. Sorry, I just had to vent about the other side of Sirona and Cerec Dortors that I hate!

Top Bottom