Matching Shades on Katana discs when milling

WaxOnScanOff

WaxOnScanOff

Reaction score
Hi there!

My lab uses Zenostar, Cercon and Katana discs for full contour zirconia crowns we mill in house. After several years we've kinda got our shades down as far as what we use to produce non-"regular" vita shades with (example, we use a Cercon A1 disc to mill a prescribed 2M2 shade and then stain it),but we're constantly having to change and re-think our strategy based on what our ceramists say they can and can't do.

Recently, the lab owner told me that he would like to mill more crowns with the Katana discs since they have much more translucency. My problem is that our ceramists tell me that Katana discs are difficult to change the shade on. Obviously we can't mill everything out of Katana (due to its strength and recommended thickness parameters),but I've been told to transfer what I can.

Has anyone else done this? Any ideas on what shades could be produced out of what discs?

Thank you in advance for any help.

BobCDT

BobCDT

Reaction score
The 3D Mater shade guide is difficult to match. I would run a single central STL file as a sample from each Katana disc and then give them to the ceramists and have them do a little R&D to figure out which disc works best for each shade. They don't need to even fire the stained crowns, just do the analysis.
Unless someone else out there has done ti and want to share...

Polarmolar

Polarmolar

Reaction score
Katana changes shade per thickness and placement in puck. I use a A1 incisal for a 3M1. With katana I always go a shade lighter if I have to and add colour with stains later on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
cant agree more with the above posts. the cermists need to make that decision. make shade tabs and keep as consistent thickness as possible. its definitely a struggle to match the 3dmaster guide but the ML makes it sort of easy.

1m1 and 1m2 and A1 B1 goin MLAWhite

2m2 A2 MLALight

3m i dont use any ML because i was told not to.

you get the idea.