Looking for used Equipment to Start a Lab

N

nop72

Banned
Reaction score
Hello all. I am new to this field and have just graduated from the Dental Lab Technology program at Middlesex Community College in Massachusetts. I am very excited and am currently looking into buying used lab equipment, first starting off with denture making equipment. It seems to me that the Duplicator machines BEGO or CMP are pretty expensive and are the good ones out there. Besides, handpieces, bunson burners, flasks, articulators and torches, I think I need a lathe, vacuum mixer and a model trimmer. I was wondering if you guys could tell me if I'm missing anything else and where you would recommend buying it for a good price. Preferably used. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Btw. I heard that you could use a turkey roaster from walmart to do the boilout process in?

AJEL

AJEL

Reaction score
Hello all. I am new to this field and have just graduated from the Dental Lab Technology program at Middlesex Community College in Massachusetts. I am very excited and am currently looking into buying used lab equipment, first starting off with denture making equipment. It seems to me that the Duplicator machines BEGO or CMP are pretty expensive and are the good ones out there. Besides, handpieces, bunson burners, flasks, articulators and torches, I think I need a lathe, vacuum mixer and a model trimmer. I was wondering if you guys could tell me if I'm missing anything else and where you would recommend buying it for a good price. Preferably used. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Btw. I heard that you could use a turkey roaster from walmart to do the boilout process in?
I admit it was a few moons ago that I graduated from lab school (1977). Several of the other students jumped right into labowning (none r owners now). I had worked in labs 10 years before going to school and worked in labs 4 years after. Only one of my classmates is still in the industry, & he is in sales. It's an exciting idea but school doesn't really get U ready for the stress & demands of dental lab industry, please work for someone or at least make sure U have some mentors.
A turkey roaster won't boil out, some have used it to dirty cure flasks in, some have used fryers to boil out with make sure the heating element is not in the tank.

Last edited:
DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
I worked for local labs for around Eight years before I went out on my own. Made very little money untill I went on piece work and learned how to work fast and efficient. Then, it was time!

My dad was a Dentist, but we both knew it would be wrong to go into business right out of Dental-tech school. I even had plenty of work ready, but I wasn't ready.

nvarras

nvarras

Reaction score
Good idea to wait. I went to school with Apollon; he is a great guy and a good teacher but you need more experience before you're ready for your own lab.

I

ilsbadly

Reaction score
hi nop72 I have just set up the denture side of my laboratory recently use a tea urn such as this Amazon.com: West Bend 33600 100-Cup Commercial Coffee Urn: Kitchen & Dining to boil out and process acrylics as for your duplicating, use a re-usable microwaveable gel its easy to chop an melt down failing that use a slow cooker instead of all these really expensive machines see what cooking equipment you can use its so much cheaper and it does exactly the same job

T

TECHARTISAN

Reaction score
I will second the "get a lab job" before opening a lab. While youre gaining hands on experience.........
Turn around and go back to where you just came from.....
Entrepreneurship in Small Business Management
Running a lab is about more than just making teeth. More labs fail due to poor business skills then poor technical ones.

disturbed

disturbed

Disturbing Member
Reaction score
There are a LOT of things you were probably not taught in school. I HIGHLY recommend working in a lab for at least a year or 3 before starting your own lab..

Set yourself up for success, diving in with only a tech school background is risky. Dentists will rarely send work unless they are confident that you can provide a good product.

Not to mention the hard times you are likely to experience when the phucked cases show up. 12+ years in and I am still seeing and learning how to handle the truly difficult cases.

N

nop72

Banned
Reaction score
Thank you everyone for your input. I am currently looking for a job in the DFW area in Texas. I am just trying to buy and accumlate some used equipment at lower prices so I can set up a little lab to practice. I know it will take hard work and lots of practice on many cases so I just wanted to be able to practice on my own time. Thank you Ilsbad for the tea urn tip. I will definitely look into it. Also, I agree with AJEL 100% on looking for good mentors. I hope I will be lucky enough to find some. If you guys know of anyone or labs in the Dallas Fort Worth area who needs a tech, please let me know. Thanks again.

N

nop72

Banned
Reaction score
Good idea to wait. I went to school with Apollon; he is a great guy and a good teacher but you need more experience before you're ready for your own lab.

I had Apollon also and he is a great teacher and a good guy. I miss him very much.

T

Tonkster

Reaction score

I also just received my CDT in Compete Dentures and 5 Months ago took over my dad's lab. But i worked for him for 10 years before I made the move to owner. I totally agree with everying that is advisiing you to work for someone first.

There is nothing as priceless than all the techniques and tricks of the trade he taught me.

Good Luck!!

N

nickate

Reaction score
I have a complete denture lab packed up in my basement.... I will piece it out or sell the entire thing.... (And yes I have a Ticonium digital hydrocolloid duplicator).
Also... I have a top notch Coe boilout- curing unit (with the 4 washout spigots) and the Mickey Mousers that suggest equipment like turkey roasters and Tea Urines ..... well... you get what you pay for I guess.
You are very smart toever buy new but I suggest you purchase equipment designed for the product you are producing. Used.

And 4 Coe-Bilt/ Nevin Pneumatic flask presses...
And a Harris curing unit....
And a Ticonium walnut blast cabinet....
And TWO complete Kavo/ EWL HIGH SPEED CHROME FINISHING LATHES...
And a Kavo K9 handpiece...
A Dynamo handpiece.....
etc.....

Sometimes you are what you use.... lol.

Last edited:
P

Patti Green

Reaction score
Hello....I have an ortho lab that I am slowly closing. I have some equipment that you may be interested in. I have a Great Lakes Ministar, Great Lakes fume controller with extra filter, brand new lathe with quick chuck and 3 catch hoods, 1 with light, Emesco handpiece, Wehmer model trimmer, vacuum mixer, L & R ultrasonic cleaner, fish mouth, 2 SAM articulators, new pressure pot, etc. If you still have an interest shoot me an email.... [email protected]
Happy Holidays
Patti

C

charles007

Reaction score

Welcome to DLN where you will learn so much in the next 6 weeks reading these threads than most of what you learned in school.. And good for you to go to school..Your hours in school will make a world of difference in your future career.
Now a little free grain of salt advice.. Spend months reading as many threads as possible to catch up to speed.. Technology is changing fast.. SO, find a good lab to work in, read DLN often, and post a lot of quesions to learn from the best techs from all over the world. Save your money for the future. No point in buying outdated equipment now with no experience. You have so little experience you really don't know the best/cheapest, newest equipment to buy, and if your getting screwed price..
Its not always smart to buy New with some pieces of equipment.

Slow down and take a deep breath before opening up a lab to fail from the get-go..

Charles

Last edited:
R

Rick Sonntag

Reaction score
Thank you everyone for your input. I am currently looking for a job in the DFW area in Texas. I am just trying to buy and accumlate some used equipment at lower prices so I can set up a little lab to practice. I know it will take hard work and lots of practice on many cases so I just wanted to be able to practice on my own time. Thank you Ilsbad for the tea urn tip. I will definitely look into it. Also, I agree with AJEL 100% on looking for good mentors. I hope I will be lucky enough to find some. If you guys know of anyone or labs in the Dallas Fort Worth area who needs a tech, please let me know. Thanks again.

Now take that money you were going to spend on equipment and put it towards NADL University. The best dental training and best equipment in the world won't prepare you for the business of running a lab, NADL U will.

Rick Sonntag RDT

G

Gaetano

Reaction score
I dont think you should ever stop learning and I agree with the feedback you have gotten. However, when you start your own lab you will quickly find you will learn much more,and faster than you thought you would have to. I encourage it! If you weren't ready, you won't survive and then you go back and get a lab job again.

Anyhow, I have some used equipment that I am selling. If you are interested, send me a note and we will chat.

Take care and best of luck!