Looking for cheap scanner without exocad

Tramp

Tramp

Reaction score
Hello :)

Like in the topic. I'm using now MAP 300 from Amann and need something more in my company. (i don't want to buy anything more from AG, big commerce, bad quality)

Why no exocad? It is working nice on RDP 8.0 and Windows 7 so i can share exocad on few machines not only one, that's why.

So having only one scaner in office is not sufficient. I need something simple coping/inlay/onlays etc nothing more.

Do you have any ideas where to find something? I was looking in ebay, without success.

Ken Knapp

Ken Knapp

Reaction score
Hello :)

Like in the topic. I'm using now MAP 300 from Amann and need something more in my company. (i don't want to buy anything more from AG, big commerce, bad quality)

Why no exocad? It is working nice on RDP 8.0 and Windows 7 so i can share exocad on few machines not only one, that's why.

So having only one scaner in office is not sufficient. I need something simple coping/inlay/onlays etc nothing more.

Do you have any ideas where to find something? I was looking in ebay, without success.

YES, ITS SO EASY TO BUILD A LOW COST STRUCTURED LIGHT SCANNER WITH EXCELLENT RESULTS.

Built a structured light scanner for under ($2000),thats right $1700 including the scanning software and hardware. To my surprise the results are as good or better than the Medit system that I had. Works for singles and long span bridges.
Also there is much more interaction with the scan results and optimizing scans for particular cases and without any limitations. Im using ExoCAD.

The scan time takes 5 minutes longer/unit compared to a Medit. However, a side by side comparison to the Medit showed my scanner had improved detail and fit, to my surprise.

This really shows how the CAD/CAM manufacturers are really taking advantage of the Lab industry.

How many Labs out there would be willing to buy a scanner comparable to a Medit for $2000. Add ExoCAD for ~$4000 and you can have a complete scanner/CAD system for $6000. WHAT A DEAL.:)

Wish you the best.

Ken
Knapp Laboratories

B

bigbrush

Reaction score
Hello Ken,

can you tell me more about your scansystem. I`ll be interested.
THX Tom

Tramp

Tramp

Reaction score
YES, ITS SO EASY TO BUILD A LOW COST STRUCTURED LIGHT SCANNER WITH EXCELLENT RESULTS.

Built a structured light scanner for under ($2000),thats right $1700 including the scanning software and hardware. To my surprise the results are as good or better than the Medit system that I had. Works for singles and long span bridges.
Also there is much more interaction with the scan results and optimizing scans for particular cases and without any limitations. Im using ExoCAD.

The scan time takes 5 minutes longer/unit compared to a Medit. However, a side by side comparison to the Medit showed my scanner had improved detail and fit, to my surprise.

This really shows how the CAD/CAM manufacturers are really taking advantage of the Lab industry.

How many Labs out there would be willing to buy a scanner comparable to a Medit for $2000. Add ExoCAD for ~$4000 and you can have a complete scanner/CAD system for $6000. WHAT A DEAL.:)

Wish you the best.

Ken
Knapp Laboratories

Intresting!

Can you write something more?

P

primus

Banned
Reaction score
LOL.....Ken, You could not even buy the cameras that the Medit uses for under $2000 I don't think?

Much less, a complete scanning solution, with quality axis motors and rigid frame. I am sure you built something, and it worked and probably was fun.....but to claim it was "medical-Grade" scan data or that it was better than a Medit is silly.

Even if your physical set-up was decent and the componants were Industrial grade, The meshing math is kinda important for Dental. I doubt you would get decent results trying to re-invent the wheel yourself.

Are we now to take anything else you say seriously? So, where are all of these $2000 scanners? Not on ebay. I don't see anyone building and selling these with any success. ??

* I have a Demo Medit SE for $10,500 - No exocad.

Only used a few months for training and some production work. Still have the complete shipping crate, instructions, etc.

804-285-0777

Last edited:
Ken Knapp

Ken Knapp

Reaction score
LOL.....Ken, You could not even buy the cameras that the Medit uses for under $2000 I don't think?

Much less, a complete scanning solution, with quality axis motors and rigid frame. I am sure you built something, and it worked and probably was fun.....but to claim it was "medical-Grade" scan data or that it was better than a Medit is silly.

Even if your physical set-up was decent and the componants were Industrial grade, The meshing math is kinda important for Dental. I doubt you would get decent results trying to re-invent the wheel yourself.

Are we now to take anything else you say seriously? So, where are all of these $2000 scanners? Not on ebay. I don't see anyone building and selling these with any success. ??

Only used a few months for training and some production work. Still have the complete shipping crate, instructions, etc.

804-285-0777
Primus,

First of all I find you to be a Bully and Arrogant and your posts serve your self interest.

You are misinformed about the information you posted. Equivalent or better cameras to the Point Grey CCD cameras used on the Medit scanner can be had for $800, 2X is $1600 which less than the $2000 that you claim. Also if one used a CMOS camera which is more than sufficient the price is even lower.

You really need to keep your facts straight and eliminate your constant "Primus Spin".

The meshing/scanning software is dirt cheap and some even free like the open source "Meshlab".

I'm not selling anything here nor my recipe for a cheap scanner which is superior to the Medit one that you sell at a "PROFIT".

I would like to encourage other dental lab technicians to investigate what the possibilities are with a little effort to save $$$ and have more fun.:)

Ken

Last edited:
Ken Knapp

Ken Knapp

Reaction score

804-285-0777

Gru

Gru

Reaction score
Ken, probably many of us would be interested in solid information on a "build-your-own" system. Please post links. Odds are that even though I might be competent to assemble such a device, I would still be better off with an "off-the-shelf" system from Primus or others.

Read the piles of posts under Primus or ***. If Primus could sell us a fully functional scanner at a lower rate than all the other scanners out there, and they probably have the ability to create it, they absolutely would.

Often times Primus may come off as bullying or arrogant, but everyone here knows they pay (sponsor) for the right to promote their products here. It helps allow the rest of us to use DLN for little $ or nothing.

P

primus

Banned
Reaction score
Yes, the person who has a product or service is usually expecting money, and often this results in a profit. The person looking for a product or service usually renders the funds to the person/party selling in exchange for the desired product/service. This is typical behavior/interaction of most grown adults. Do not be alarmed if you see this type of behaivor again here or elsewhere on the internet, or even in real life.
In this case, I am answering a "Wanted" ad with my product for sale.

I have a real 2013 Medit SE scanner at a good price to be used with exocad. Comes with warranty.
I spam this site very rarely with my own ads. Usually only answer questions, like this this.

Wasting your time on a home-made scanner for Dental use is not really a good idea. If you do it, then your a cheap-a55 ghetto tech. IMO

If something accurate and decent could be made for that price, then it would already exist somewhere on the internet for sale, wouldn't ya think?

Most of us have seen http://www.david-3d.com/ and www.nextengine.com and even the kid on here Patmo in Dental school make a scanner. None are worth using for real production work.

Very cool for you to make a scanner that worked, but I doubt this guy was thinking about going that route.

The new Medit Blue uses very expensive cameras. They do cost over $2000 alone.

You theory of everything being a scam and overpriced is not correct.
There are no hidden secrets or smoke and mirrors.
Take you medication and maybe your paranoia will subside?

Last edited:
Ken Knapp

Ken Knapp

Reaction score
Yes, the person who has a product or service is usually expecting money, and often this results in a profit. The person looking for a product or service usually renders the funds to the person/party selling in exchange for the desired product/service. This is typical behavior/interaction of most grown adults. Do not be alarmed if you see this type of behaivor again here or elsewhere on the internet, or even in real life.
In this case, I am answering a "Wanted" ad with my product for sale.

I have a real 2013 Medit SE scanner at a good price to be used with exocad. Comes with warranty.
I spam this site very rarely with my own ads. Usually only answer questions, like this this.

Wasting your time on a home-made scanner for Dental use is not really a good idea. If you do it, then your a cheap-a55 ghetto tech. IMO

If something accurate and decent could be made for that price, then it would already exist somewhere on the internet for sale, wouldn't ya think?

Most of us have seen http://www.david-3d.com/ and www.nextengine.com and even the kid on here Patmo in Dental school make a scanner. None are worth using for real production work.

Very cool for you to make a scanner that worked, but I doubt this guy was thinking about going that route.

The new Medit Blue uses very expensive cameras. They do cost over $2000 alone.[/q

I wish you all the best.

I wish you all the best.

Tramp

Tramp

Reaction score

804-285-0777

Which one? This normal or with blue light?
You are from USA, right?

P

primus

Banned
Reaction score
I have new Blue units, and the SE series. Ready to ship.

The Demo SE Series is $10,500

A new in box, never opened Blue unit is $16,000 (both without CAD)

We are in Virginia. Also sell Titanium Scan-markers for use with exocad, 3shape, and DentalWings.

This is DDG scan-markers and the library. You probably have an older version of the library hiding in your exocad program.

We mill bars and abutments using exocad, DDG markers, sum3d, and a HAAS.

804-285-0777

Lauren, or Scott

Toothman19

Toothman19

Reaction score
Primus, are you going to be at the DLOAC this weekend in Anaheim? I'd love to see a Medit scanner in person

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score

Wish you the best.

Ken
Knapp Laboratories

Hmmm...you got me thinkin'....;)

Glenn Kennedy

Glenn Kennedy

Reaction score
If this is the same Ken Knapp I would say he knows a thing or two and can offer some very good information to the group:

"Ken Knapp has 30 years' experience in the synthesis of magnetic and dental nanomaterials and microfabricated magnetic recording head devices. The last 10 years of his career have been focused on researching and developing nanostructured titanium dental devices and nanozirconia materials. Ken is an inventor on 23 U.S. patents in the areas of magnetic and dental nanostructured materials and devices."

P

primus

Banned
Reaction score
Maybe he will start a thread about his personal sucess story, "making a Dental scanner, DIY"?

I look forward to this and hope someone else trys it. Glen, why don't you try to put One together like his?

My scanner is sold and headed to San Jose Cali.

Thanks for playing,
Scott

Last edited: