Link pieces together Sum3d

M

mrcadcam

Reaction score
Demoing sum3d right now. From the users that use it, is there away to link everything together so there is not so much material waste? (ex. Like picasoft software).

Also if there are any users that use both(Mayka Dental and Sum3d),which one do you prefer? Sum3d seems to be very mouse click dependent, and a bit buggy so far.

ParkwayDental

ParkwayDental

Reaction score
Personally I have never used the Sum3d but I love my Picasoft, mill quality is great very smooth and have never had an issue out of it. My only down side with it is Origin locks you in and require a bar code to register a blank!

M

mrcadcam

Reaction score
Yeah i just figured it out, seems more of hack though to do it.

We were told if we bought Picasoft from $ and % and didnt buy their material that they would not give us support on the software.......ok i will not buy picasoft from them than. Plug to PDI i guess.

Users of Sum3d, next question is how to change the Z position of the link?

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Waste material?

You don't need to link together to get teeth as close as possible.

But, of course you can link together if you want.

M

mrcadcam

Reaction score
whats your way of linking them together ***?

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Reaction score
I know how, but dont have sum3d in front of me so i couldnt explain it proper. But you can link and you can adjust the Z position of the sprue.

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Reaction score
Where will those large extra pieces go once the finishing strats move in and set them free? Maybe they will get jammed next to some framework? I dont like to link too much. I like to overlap tremendously but not link things. I dont have a screen capture or a picture of a blank. But if I did you would see what I call the Snake Technique. :)

ParkwayDental

ParkwayDental

Reaction score
aw.jpg

This will spin off and chip your margins if you are not sprued to them!
aw.jpg

M

mrcadcam

Reaction score
Where will those large extra pieces go once the finishing strats move in and set them free? Maybe they will get jammed next to some framework? I dont like to link too much. I like to overlap tremendously but not link things. I dont have a screen capture or a picture of a blank. But if I did you would see what I call the Snake Technique. :)

In that picture i have not added the links, so yes it will all fall down. Linking doesn't save you much cost in the actual material cost but when you resell the finished product its a huge waste not to link. If a can fit 5 to 10 more finished Full ZR's on a disk thats a $500-$1000 gain......it needs to be looked at that way.

Delcam told us they will be showing a demo of there new dentmill with this feature built in @ Lab Day West. So i will have to get some time to check it out that Saturday.

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
I would do it something like this.......

I didn't finish, but I guess you would get the idea?

ai930.photobucket.com_albums_ad145_turbo2nr_nowaste_sum3d.jpg

M

mrcadcam

Reaction score
Luigi........"its Me Mario" i need help

I would do it something like this.......

I didn't finish, but I guess you would get the idea?

;););););)

I didnt mean how would you draw it in paint.

Any Crowns loaded what is your technique to sprue/link the crowns/copings together inside the software. Mine was create a 5mm sprue/link and attach them that way, but i can find a on the fly way to change the length of the links unless im missing something.

Also anybody know how to change the Z position of the link?

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
easy! You can even change angle rotate, trqanslate, etc...

I go downstairs to CAM and take screen shot.

Uno momento Senior....

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Just pick element or sprue, and you can move in all axis, or rotate in all axis by defines angle or increment

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Just pick element or sprue, and you can move in all axis, or rotate in all axis by defines angle or increment

I will share a trick....

If you have Inlay (Occlusal, or maybe MO Inlay) it is often hard to find a place to sprue.

If you levitate a sprue on top of tooth, it does not have to touch the tooth. It will cast a shadow that is un-millable and tooth will be hanging from sprue above the tooth.

So, you really don't have to have place on side to sprue...you can sprue from the ceiling!

MY own idea.

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Also, why have sprues on same plane?

Why not have at angle to better triangulate the tooth, and reduce vibrations?

I will demonstrate.....

AGV

AGV

Reaction score
Click on "accurate positioning" key . In your desk is the 7th key of the lower line. Then left & right click ON the sprue and panel of positioning will be open, with all the axis. Just has to click - or + in the axis you want to move.

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Not everybody has toolbar like you. As you can see, mine is not the 7th key of lower line.

That's why I take pic to show Icon.